Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times

Advertisements

While I admit there is a slight possiblity she could have had a small amount of "black" blood (since the exact identity of her mother is unknown) there is no question a majority of her blood was Macedonian Greek. She was born into a family of incest and inbreeding.

The story below in Essence magazine is quite ridiculous as well as ignorant.

How anyone can graduate college let alone high school and think Cleopatra was a "black queen" is unbelievable.

================================================== ================================================== ==============

""Gasp, the nerve! "She's got the perfect look?" Honestly, I don't care how full Angelina Jolie's lips are, how many African children she adopts, or how bronzed her skin will become for the film, I firmly believe this role should have gone to a Black woman. ""

"Why does Hollywood think it's even slightly plausible to cast White women in roles that would be more sensible to cast a Black actress for? Especially when that role is an African queen."

"Now, Jolie is set to play Cleopatra, who isn't as technically perfect as some would claim if you study the Queen of the Nile's distinguished history."

Commentary: Another White Actress to Play Cleopatra? - Essence.com (http://www.essence.com/entertainment/hot_topics/commentary_angelina_jolie_to_play_cleopa.php?page= 29 - broken link)

Last edited by Avengerfire; 06-18-2010 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: corrected mistake

Old 06-18-2010, 11:15 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
While I admit there is a slight possiblity she could have had a small amount of "black" blood (since the identity of one of her grandmothers is unknown) there is no question a majority of her blood was Macedonian Greek.

The story below in Essence magazine is quite ridiculous as well as ignorant.

How anyone can graduate college let alone high school and think Cleopatra was a "black queen" is unbelievable.

================================================== ================================================== ==============

""Gasp, the nerve! "She's got the perfect look?" Honestly, I don't care how full Angelina Jolie's lips are, how many African children she adopts, or how bronzed her skin will become for the film, I firmly believe this role should have gone to a Black woman. ""

"Why does Hollywood think it's even slightly plausible to cast White women in roles that would be more sensible to cast a Black actress for? Especially when that role is an African queen."

"Now, Jolie is set to play Cleopatra, who isn't as technically perfect as some would claim if you study the Queen of the Nile's distinguished history."

Commentary: Another White Actress to Play Cleopatra? - Essence.com (http://www.essence.com/entertainment/hot_topics/commentary_angelina_jolie_to_play_cleopa.php?page= 29 - broken link)

How DARE you go against social fashion?!?!?!?!?

Come on, everyone knows immigrants from Johannesburg and Capetown are NOT allowed to check the "African-American" box on forms!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Of course she was not black, all that Afrocentrism recently sounds so desperate. Everybody is supposed to have been black, Egyptians, their pharaohs, Greeks, even the Irish I read recently
On the other side there are those white supremacists who say pharaohs were blond or red-haired nordic people

Although I don't like her, Jolie is OK for that role, although unlike her Cleopatra probably had brown eyes.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Everybody is supposed to have been black......... even the Irish I read recently .

YouTube - Thin Lizzy - Emerald

Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Although I don't like her, Jolie is OK for that role, although unlike her Cleopatra probably had brown eyes.
Based on historical accounts she had red hair and green eyes.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Red hair?!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

And her last name was McSweeney.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
More political-correctness BS. We can guess that she certainly didn't look like Angelina Jolie. But we don't need (and I don't expect) riots in the streets of Cairo complaining that an Egyptian (edit - historical accounts actually say Cleopatra was greek) is being played by someone with French and American Indian ethnicity. Only in American...

But history clearly shows that Egyptian residents of the lower nile delta by those times (practically modern history when you consider the timeline of human inhabitation) were about as they are now. By that time, centuries of waves and waves of invasions, occupations, and intermixing from eurasia, particularly from the steppes of turkey and russia had changed the racial makeup and "color" to very similiar to what it is today.
On the contrary, few deep african nations crossed the deserts to invade from the south.

Last edited by Dd714; 06-18-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 01:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
And her last name was McSweeney.
no it wasnt

it was o'grady

Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,388 times
Nubian Cleo wasn't. I recall seeing somewhere that her family didn't even deign to learn the Egyptian tongue till her father's or grandfather's rule. They thought of themselves as Greeks, not Egyptians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History