U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,492,857 times
Reputation: 3308

Advertisements

Really? I thought I heard once an Englishman came up with the idea as it would save Scots from having to spend money on pants since they required less fabric.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 28,357,247 times
Reputation: 6840
History of the kilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Winter Springs, FL
1,792 posts, read 4,254,436 times
Reputation: 938
Some Irish authors maintain that the male skirt made in tartan fabric was originally dressed in Ireland, and that from there it was introduced in Scotland after Irish-Scots tribes settled in Caledonia around the 5-6th century A.D. The alleged Irish predecessor of the Scottish kilt was called Léine and was a kind of long tunic that stretched down to the knees.
Scottish historians do not agree with their Irish cousins and believe that the real predecessor of the kilt was not the Irish Léine but the Scottish Plaid. The Plaid is a short tartan blanket which is cast over the shoulder and fastened around the waist by a belt. This was worn mainly in the Scottish Highlands as an all-weather outfit that also served as a bedroll for sleeping outdoors.
Both Scots and Irish can claim to be right in their own ways, for the Highland Plaid could indeed have evolved to a shorter garment -the kilt- and the Irish Léine was a knee-length garment which was dressed long before the modern kilt. Yet, long before the Irish were dressing their Léine and Scots were wearing their Plaid, the Galicians were already wearing knee-length male skirts made in tartan: the first Kilt ever recorded!
Dated ca.400 B.C, giant statues were carved in southern Gallaecia (the ancient name of modern Galicia) to honor regional or perhaps high kings of the country.
Those Galician kings are portrayed in a military fashion, in the same way that many medeval kings and earls, wearing their sword and shield. But the striking thing about those statues is the way they are dressed. Those men are wearing kilts, over which distinctive patterns of squares and lines are carved as to represent a primitive tartan fabric. The Galician statues were carved more than five centuries before the first record of the Irish Léine, and almost two millenia before the modern Scottish Kilt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 AM
 
29,986 posts, read 39,230,978 times
Reputation: 12792
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Some Irish authors maintain that the male skirt made in tartan fabric was originally dressed in Ireland, and that from there it was introduced in Scotland after Irish-Scots tribes settled in Caledonia around the 5-6th century A.D. The alleged Irish predecessor of the Scottish kilt was called Léine and was a kind of long tunic that stretched down to the knees.
Scottish historians do not agree with their Irish cousins and believe that the real predecessor of the kilt was not the Irish Léine but the Scottish Plaid. The Plaid is a short tartan blanket which is cast over the shoulder and fastened around the waist by a belt. This was worn mainly in the Scottish Highlands as an all-weather outfit that also served as a bedroll for sleeping outdoors.
Both Scots and Irish can claim to be right in their own ways, for the Highland Plaid could indeed have evolved to a shorter garment -the kilt- and the Irish Léine was a knee-length garment which was dressed long before the modern kilt. Yet, long before the Irish were dressing their Léine and Scots were wearing their Plaid, the Galicians were already wearing knee-length male skirts made in tartan: the first Kilt ever recorded!
Dated ca.400 B.C, giant statues were carved in southern Gallaecia (the ancient name of modern Galicia) to honor regional or perhaps high kings of the country.
Those Galician kings are portrayed in a military fashion, in the same way that many medeval kings and earls, wearing their sword and shield. But the striking thing about those statues is the way they are dressed. Those men are wearing kilts, over which distinctive patterns of squares and lines are carved as to represent a primitive tartan fabric. The Galician statues were carved more than five centuries before the first record of the Irish Léine, and almost two millenia before the modern Scottish Kilt.
Not so suprising since the migration of the tribes of Israel included some landing in Spain/Portugal and then on to Ireland and Scotland. It is all connected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 PM
 
2,790 posts, read 5,894,805 times
Reputation: 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Really? I thought I heard once an Englishman came up with the idea as it would save Scots from having to spend money on pants since they required less fabric.
The mentality of remarks such as this will get you beat up in many a neighborhood. A kilt is not a frugal investment. They can have up to 7 yards if fabric.

As for the Englishman...... did you hear the one about the Englishman who went on vacation in Scotland? He woke bright and early and insisted on having an authentic breakfast. The waiter at the inn brought him a steaming bowl of oatmeal. The Englishman sputters and carries on how this isn't a fit breakast for a man and ends his remarks by announcing that in England they use oats to feed their horses. The waiter takes it all in stride, waits until the man is done and then observes, "That is why England is known for its horses, and Scotland is known for its men!"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 PM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,492,857 times
Reputation: 3308
^That was pretty good. I got in a fight with an English horse once (long story). I must have punched that thing in the throat half a dozen times, and it barely even noticed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 19,639,040 times
Reputation: 10225
You know why Scotchmen wear kilts? The sheep can hear a zipper behind them a mile off.

When I think of Celts I think of trousers---Gauls and all that. All the modern Celtic men I know wear trousers too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 AM
 
2,790 posts, read 5,894,805 times
Reputation: 1947
Agggghct! Real Celtic men wear kilts, Tom, at least in our family. My son wears his every chance he gets, and it doesn't get any realer than rescuing the crabbers from Deadliest Catch in the Bering Sea!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 19,639,040 times
Reputation: 10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Agggghct! Real Celtic men wear kilts, Tom, at least in our family. My son wears his every chance he gets, and it doesn't get any realer than rescuing the crabbers from Deadliest Catch in the Bering Sea!

Vercingetorix wore trousers; he was a pretty manly Celt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
 
1,308 posts, read 2,638,514 times
Reputation: 635
Kilts, like most cultural artifacts, are a way of defining that you are different than another group. I doubt kilts were central to scotish culture ever; but they were an easy way to show they were different than the English.

That fight with the english horse sounds pretty intense. Now we know what happened to Shadowfax's progeny
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top