Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times

Advertisements

I love history. I have been kind of jumping around reading here and there about various time periods. I cant say that I have a favorite. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good starting point? I love the middle ages, however I also love eras prior to that.

Any suggestions? Books, documentaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
This might be a good one to start with:Amazon.com: History of the World (9780195210439): J.M. Roberts: Books
Roberts also did one on the History of Europe which was very good. From there you can get more specific as to what eras interest you. But I'll bet if you start with the 'Middle Ages" like I did, you'll want to keep going into the past to try and understand why things were the way they were then

Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Are you looking for histories of an overall time period or something more specific, like a focus on a particular war, event or a biography of a historical figure? Because the last is more my specialty.

Have you read anything about the War of the Roses yet? If not, I would definitely look into that, it's near the end of the Middle Ages but a very interesting period of time. But my favorite historical figure from the High Middle Ages is Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I've found that a good starting point for people that are interested in Western Civilization is to study the Roman Empire from it's founding through to the collapse and go from there. There are many older cultures and civilizations that shaped the world, but western history can seemingly be divided into pre-Rome and post-Rome. I think that for someone who likes the Middle Ages, the study of Rome and specifically the rise of Christianity and the empires collapse would lay the groundwork nicely for examining the Middle Ages in context.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I've found that a good starting point for people that are interested in Western Civilization is to study the Roman Empire from it's founding through to the collapse and go from there. There are many older cultures and civilizations that shaped the world, but western history can seemingly be divided into pre-Rome and post-Rome. I think that for someone who likes the Middle Ages, the study of Rome and specifically the rise of Christianity and the empires collapse would lay the groundwork nicely for examining the Middle Ages in context.
Exactly what I am doing now...sort of starting at the "beginning" rather than jumping into the Thirty Years War or other era As you say, it puts the rest in context.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:00 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
I was actually thinking of going back to school to get a degree in History. What are some jobs that are available for a history major?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Teaching history or working at a museum/National Park Service.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I love history.I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good starting point?Any suggestions?
By all means start with the history of your own country. Get a good foundation and grasp there, then at a later time you can expand your horizons. Am assuming that you are an American, so that gives you more than five centuries of recorded history to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History