Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:17 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

If you have not seen "The Pacific", buy it or rent it when available. If you have not read "With The Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge and you have any interest whatsoever in WWII, then this should be the next book you read.

And if you have not heard the musical intro into this fine mini-series that centered around the personal experience of John Basilone, Robert Leckie and Eugene Sledge, then here/hear ya go.

YouTube - The Pacific Theme / Intro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If you have not seen "The Pacific", buy it or rent it when available. If you have not read "With The Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge and you have any interest whatsoever in WWII, then this should be the next book you read.

And if you have not heard the musical intro into this fine mini-series that centered around the personal experience of John Basilone, Robert Leckie and Eugene Sledge, then here/hear ya go.

YouTube - The Pacific Theme / Intro
Is this a series? Documentary? Movie?

My dad went through the whole Pacific theater as a raido man, second wave on the beach. I need to see this. He never said much at all about that time of his life.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Is this a series? Documentary? Movie?

My dad went through the whole Pacific theater as a raido man, second wave on the beach. I need to see this. He never said much at all about that time of his life.
It's a 10 part mini-series covering the Pacific War from Guadalcanal to Okinawa, specifically actions involving the 1st Marine Division, with the exception of Iwo Jima. Main characters are John Basilone, Robert Leckie, and Eugene Sledge.
Similiar to, but IMHO, inferior to "Band of Brothers."

Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
It's a 10 part mini-series covering the Pacific War from Guadalcanal to Okinawa, specifically actions involving the 1st Marine Division, with the exception of Iwo Jima. Main characters are John Basilone, Robert Leckie, and Eugene Sledge.
Similiar to, but IMHO, inferior to "Band of Brothers."
Still sounds interesting. I like the ones that are based on real people You get a different point of view. I've seen Band of Brothers at least four times through and some of the episodes (especially when they get into Germany and find the concentration camp) more than that.

Do you know where it is showing?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:28 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Still sounds interesting. I like the ones that are based on real people You get a different point of view. I've seen Band of Brothers at least four times through and some of the episodes (especially when they get into Germany and find the concentration camp) more than that.

Do you know where it is showing?
It is showing on HBO (in their "On Demand" section, where you can still see it at your convenience, I believe) and if it is not still available it will be on the week before Thanksgiving when it becomes available to purchase.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
An excellent series on the war in the Pacific.

Casting was superb as was the acting. Many scenes were so realistic in a lot of ways. The emotions of the incidents were conveyed masterfully.

Of course the writers/producers ruined parts of it with the required sex scenes. But I'm just one ol' fogey that feels sex doesn't need to be included to sell a story. JMHO.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
I was a little disappointed there were sex scenes as well. There was one brief one during Band of Brothers that wasn't really necessary, but it was only a few seconds.

It is both natural and unfair to compare The Pacific to Band of Brothers. Natural because of the subject matter, network, producers, etc. But unfair because I think The Pacific is an entirely different scope. BoB was truly an ensemble performance...just like Easy Company was in real life. The Pacific is much more of a group of individuals' story of the war. More personal. More emotional. I prefer to see the two series as one big story rather than 2 separate pieces.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I prefer to see the two series as one big story rather than 2 separate pieces.
Amen to that. My father served in the ETO, our neighbor in the PTO, my mother as a civilian worker in the Pentagon, and the neighbor's wife in a California defense plant.

To my mind, it IS one big story, the likes of which is unlikely to ever be seen again.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
I thought the series suffered a little in comparison to Band of Brothers, but then, almost everything suffers in comparison to Band of Brothers!

Anyway, my opinion is that it started slow, had some detours they should have avoided, but finished very, very strong. The last 2 episodes were as powerful as anything seen on TV.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
I think Band of Brothers benefited from a better cast and more familiar material. With that said, it still felt a little "Hollywoody" at times. I know it was a very factual movie, but felt very heroic, ala Saving Private Ryan.

By contrast the Pacific was a much darker piece. It did start slow and go in some random directions, but the last few episodes were very shocking and I think did more justice to combat in the Pacific than any other movie/series ever has.

While BoB left you feeling uplifted and proud, with the soldiers viewed as heroes; Pacific left you feeling a little hollow, almost like the victory while sweet had been earned at to high a price to peoples humanity and the soldiers weren't so much objects to be considered heroes as much as they were objects of pity.

I think viewing both together gives a good view on the dichotomy that existed between the theaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History