Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

I didn't know anyone personally, but my neice lost her boss in the second plane. A couple of friends lost friends. But the most extraordinary thing was the grandson of one of my father-in-laws old friends.

The grandfather had died out in California, and the grandson was there visiting to pick up his ashes. He was at dinner at my fil's place. He was special forces, and had been visiting the office of a friend in the second tower when the first plane hit.

They were told to stay put, and were going to sit at their desks until told not to, but he said to ignore that. He got everyone out of that office and then went down the hallway and got the people out of those offices and got them headed out down the stairs. They were in the stairwell when the plane hit. If they had stayed they would have been trapped and his presence saved their lives that day. It was quite extraordinary hearing it from a survivor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Interesting and sad stories about Mr. Gomes, thanks for sharing guys. I certainly would say you qualify as "knowing" him.

Looking at the #s if you include

in the definition of "hurt," I could see how you could arrive at that 20% figure. When I first read it, I thought it meant 20% of all American (60 million people) knew someone that was killed or physically wounded in the 9/11 attacks. I cannot buy that. If we add in the near half mililon people that suffered mentally, then we can get closer to that figure.
It's also possible for the definition of 'hurt' to include any of the 100,000 - 200,000 people in downtown New York that day who had to flee for their lives amidst a cloud of ash.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was also in that Fahhome forum with Dennis Gomes. He and I were exchanging comments on the same thread on the Morning of 9/11, he was at the office. My neighbor came over and told me to turn on the TV, and I left my keyboard. So did Dennis. He never came back.
Now that sent a chill down my spine. The horror those people experienced nearly 9 yrs ago is hauting. Someday i would like to visit NYC & where the twin towers once stood. http://256.com/gray/thoughts/2001/20...ictures/attack

Last edited by steel7; 08-13-2010 at 03:06 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 05:09 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,010 times
The acts of 911 were lamentable to the whole nation. The pictures of 911 I saw were unbelievable. Every year, especially on that day, someone remembers those people they were related to or knew who died. I doubt that those people remember that there were no ballgames that week and if they do, they probably couldn't care less.

I had a relative who died in the Murrah Building Bombing, and I couldn't care less what else went on that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History