Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was worse
HITLER! 52 45.22%
STALIN! 63 54.78%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times

Advertisements

Both , of course, were psychopaths, but Stalin was also paranoid; if he even THOUGHT you were a potential threat, you were eliminated. These were evil men, through and through, but, for what it's worth, Hitler had some sense of culture and the arts; Stalin was an unlettered brute from Georgia. He was, though, ruthless, intelligent, and imbued with animal cunning.
If you failed Hitler, you may have still survived, and even enjoyed a forced retirement, as did a number of generals. With Stalin, at best a trip to the Gulag, or, more likely, a bullet in the back of the neck. Just think of the purges of the 1930's in the USSR, and, especially, how many senior Red Army oficers were executed, which came back to haunt old Joe in 1941.
From a personal standpoint, if I had lived back then. I would have been wary around Hitler, not necessarily fearful, but I would have been in a state of at least constant apprehension around Stalin, probably interrupted by bouts of sheer terror.

Last edited by hornet67; 08-19-2010 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
By no means do I mean this be be interpreted wrongly, but with Hitler, you knew where you stood. If you were a member of a persecuted group, that was it.

Stalin was much more capricious.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Hitler was crazy, Stalin was insane, and this whole thread reminds me of Sophie's Choice.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
given the proclivities of both men, i think stalin was the lesser of two evils. stalin was to a point content to create a buffer zone around russia, and try to influence other countries from behind the scenes. hitler on the other hand was more than willing to go to war to make his vision of the world happen.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Stalin and communists in general are more dangerous.

Nazis were defeated and their symbols were abolished, but Communists are still pontificating and present in many governments. For many ignoramus, they are still the saviours of humanity and are present in many western governments desestabilizing and creating turmols.

They are loved and admired by the "anti-system liberal crowd".

Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
given the proclivities of both men, i think stalin was the lesser of two evils. stalin was to a point content to create a buffer zone around russia, and try to influence other countries from behind the scenes. hitler on the other hand was more than willing to go to war to make his vision of the world happen.
I believe if you spoke to the citizens of Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, etc., they would not express much happiness as being part of that "buffer zone." Trust me, if the armies of the Western Allies weren't still in the field in 1945, the Red Army would have rolled onward to the Channel. How's that for a "buffer zone" ?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Stalin and communists in general are more dangerous.

Nazis were defeated and their symbols were abolished, but Communists are still pontificating and present in many governments. For many ignoramus, they are still the saviours of humanity and are present in many western governments desestabilizing and creating turmols.

They are loved and admired by the "anti-system liberal crowd".
Absolutely correct ... we have been led to believe that Hitler and the Nazis were the absolute worst when in reality they were kindergarten students compared to Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

Stalin butchered 7 million people in the Ukraine between 1932 and 1933 alone. I won't even touch on Mao.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:31 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
By no means do I mean this be be interpreted wrongly, but with Hitler, you knew where you stood. If you were a member of a persecuted group, that was it.

Stalin was much more capricious.
Stalin has always struck me as the more scary guy.

I remember reading about a show trial where the accused was protesting his innocence proclaiming only if Uncle Joe knew about this he would put a stop to the wrongful persecution. All the sudden the lighting malfunctioned illuminating a balcony with no other but Joe Stalin watching the proceedings. That sent a chill down my back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolyma

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100514/159018592.html

Old 08-20-2010, 12:39 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
They were both evil and there is no such things as the lesser of two evils here. Bad question.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:33 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
No way, very good question.
In Europe, openly Nazi politicians are in jail, but there are important Stalinist and Communist parties that are allies of the "Social-Democrats".
Communist politicians are as deranged as always and a danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History