Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times

Advertisements

The ones I know most about, and studied about in college, are no longer around in their original form - the Anasazi. They lived in cliff dwellings and grew corn, beans, and squash on terraces irrigated by check-dams. How am I doing so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,507,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Let me educate you a little bit. There was no such thing as an Iroquois Indian and you will note that when you read this particular item that there was an Iroquois nation that was made up of different tribes. Please take the time to read this and be educated.

a-qua-du-'li ni-hi ta-li a-qua t-o-si Tsalagi.

Modern History Sourcebook: The Constitution of the Iroquois Confederacy

I appreciate the information, but am usually less than enthusiastic about opening any links when accompanied by condescension. And I didnt call any Iroquois anything.

I'm sorry, I'll need you to be more specific. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
The American Indians of the Plains were nearly exterminated by the near-extermination of the Buffalo, upon which they depended for nearly everything. It was a deliberate campaign.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The American Indians of the Plains were nearly exterminated by the near-extermination of the Buffalo, upon which they depended for nearly everything. It was a deliberate campaign.

It was economic incentive that destroyed the buffalo not a government campaign. But certainly their destruction was fortuitous for The United States.

Nor did the destruction of the buffalo nearly exterminate the Plains Indians: it made them dependant on American government goods and rations and thus easier to conquer; that was not extermination.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Originally Posted by Nighteyes

So that I may better understand your point, would you please explain (in some detail, please) what you mean by "being the most assimilated tribe"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Majoun,

I read the entire article, and I ask again, what do you mean by "the most assimilated tribe?"

Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,653,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I appreciate the information, but am usually less than enthusiastic about opening any links when accompanied by condescension. And I didnt call any Iroquois anything.

I'm sorry, I'll need you to be more specific. Thanks.

It is a document that's been in existence for almost 600 years, a document that the Constitution of the United States was modeled on which shows that the Iroquois Nation was far more advanced in their governing as a democracy long before any others and it still exists to this day. Now the Tsalagi (Cherokee) people are by far one of the more advanced Native Nation of its kind but it wasn't the only one of its kind. If it seems that I am being condescending, I do apologize for that, that is not my purpose for posting that link or for the words that I have spoken, I merely wish to educate.osay

Old 09-13-2010, 10:28 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Odanny,

My issue with your post was, and is, an apparent attempt to rank the Cherokee as "the most" -- of anything. Once again, I am not saying anything against the Cherokee, because they are a fine people.

There were many Indian Nations that quickly and willingly adopted Western European ways. In fact, the term The Five Civilized Tribes was coined by Western Europeans. The five are, in alphabetical order of their Western European names, the Chickasaw, the Cherokee, the Choctaw, the Creek and the Seminole.

Five Civilized Tribes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the portraits on the right side of the above article, be certain to note which Nation's representative is depicted wearing European clothing!!!

====================================

The Cherokee were not the only American Indian nation to have a written language, though they were the only one to develop it themselves.

The Cherokee were not the first to be Removed to Oklahoma along the Trail of Tears. The Choctaw were the first, beginning in October of 1831.

Removal | Choctaw Nation

The Cherokee got more and better press:

Cherokee removal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, this Wikipedia article errs in attributing the term "Trail of Tears" to the Choctaw. It was coined by Whites who observed what the Choctaw were forced to endure, and the tears were those of the whites.

For more information, may I suggest what is probably the most thorough and well-documented history of The Removal? The book is Indian Removal by Grant Foresman, first published in 1932 by the University of Oklahoma Press.

Once again, nothing I have written should be considered as negative comments against the Cherokee. They are a fine people. They are just not the only fine people!

-- Nighteyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTSCRIPT:

I note you are exchanging posts with ptsum. If you truly want to know about the Cherokee, I strongly suggest that you listen to him.

For what it's worth,

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 09-13-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
When I said the Cherokee nation "was most advanced" I said from an Anglo Saxon point of view. That point of view was fundamentally flawed anyway, allowing both the destruction of Native Americans and the bondage of African Americans.
If the destruction of 'foreign' peoples and holding people in bondage are the qualifications for a flawed society, you would be hard pressed to find an indigenous society in the Americas that wasn't flawed. The main difference is that the Anglo-Saxon tribe had a technological advantage and wrote down all their deeds, good and bad. That makes it easy to point fingers.

For instance, had the English and French not settled the Northeast and Eastern Canada until 100 years later, they might have not encountered any Algonquin tribes at all as the Iroquois were engaged in a wide-scale ethnic cleansing of the region and had already settled most of the interior northeast.

Similarly, the southern Plains tribes were on the verge of enacting a similar campaign against the Puebloans. Had they not received to support of the Spanish who converted them to Catholicism and armed them, then the 'Anasazi' really would have disappeared.

That is not to give the European settlers too much credit (obviously!) but people have to realize that the Americas were a populated land of competing political and cultural entities that were in the same sort of dynamic flux that we see in European, Asian, and African history. They were people, not some place markers for an imaginary Utopian Eden of the European fantasy.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:30 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
It is a document that's been in existence for almost 600 years, a document that the Constitution of the United States was modeled on which shows that the Iroquois Nation was far more advanced in their governing as a democracy long before any others and it still exists to this day.
How heartening to know that the Iroquois decision to exterminate the Hurons, Eries and Neutrals and to start the Beaver Wars was arrived at in a democratic fashion.

I'm thinking the framers of the Constitution had democratic Athens and the Roman and later European republics more on their minds than they had the Iroquois.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,507,958 times
Quote:
It is a document that's been in existence for almost 600 years, a document that the Constitution of the United States was modeled on which shows that the Iroquois Nation was far more advanced in their governing as a democracy long before any others and it still exists to this day. Now the Tsalagi (Cherokee) people are by far one of the more advanced Native Nation of its kind but it wasn't the only one of its kind. If it seems that I am being condescending, I do apologize for that, that is not my purpose for posting that link or for the words that I have spoken, I merely wish to educate.osay
Cool, I will definitely check it out, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History