Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,651,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portadown_Madman View Post
I was always lead to believe that the ''old stock'' Americans were the ones that were unhyphenated Americans considering how long their families had been there.

Turn of the 20th century immigrants held onto their old world ties, ie, Italian-American, Polish-American, etc,etc.
I believe people who's native flag is tied to this country consider themselves unhyphenated. Like the DAR, SAR the so call descendants of the ones who created this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,096,947 times
Real Americans are them Injuns.
The rest were illegal European squatters on Spanish soil, kicked out of Europe because they were religious cooks.
Recent waves of European immigrants are the ones that built America.
Hadn't been for them, the US would be mostly rural and underdeveloped.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Real Americans are them Injuns.
The rest were illegal European squatters on Spanish soil, kicked out of Europe because they were religious cooks.
Recent waves of European immigrants are the ones that built America.
Hadn't been for them, the US would be mostly rural and underdeveloped.
That's a pretty broad and misinformed statement. I don't think there were many if any European immigrants who settled on Spanish soil other than Spaniards. Not sure what you mean by "recent waves" but the westward migration that settled the continent was mostly made up of folks descended from colonists or Germans and Irish who arrived by the 1850s.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:35 AM

All English colonists settled on Spanish soil. Yes, I'm referring to those waves and the waves that kept coming until the 30's.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
All English colonists settled on Spanish soil. .
That would only be true of Florida, no?. The colonies themselves never belonged to Spain, the Midwest was purchased from France, the Northwest was owned by Britain and the U.S. from the outset, and the Southwestern territories belonged to Mexico at the time the Americans arrived.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,234,967 times
I'm a Cajun. Our family was here before the revolution. They arrived on the Gulf Coast, February 27, 1765 aboard the Santo Domingo.

No hyphen there.

Ya'll are all trespassing!

:^/

Cajuns are perhaps the smallest minority in the USA and ya don't hear us whining.
Hurricanes can't even knock us down!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,128,665 times
I agree. But I see the biggest problem as the decline of the concept of the "melting pot" concept in which the goal was unity and assimilation into one overarching society. That doesn't mean that one cannot be proud of his heritage, but the subdivisions can go too far. When one is a [fill in blank] first and an American second, that's too far. And I don't just mean word order!

Old 10-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
I'm a Cajun. Our family was here before the revolution. They arrived on the Gulf Coast, February 27, 1765 aboard the Santo Domingo.
We'll be more than happy to give that part back to you. However, you can't have the part where much of my family arrived well before 1765, where I live now.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:40 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,996,345 times
Honestly, I never quite got the hypenated nationality thing either. I can trace my family's heritage back hundreds and hundreds of years. French, then French Acadians. When my grandparents moved to America after WWII, they never wanted to be called hypenated anything and would still balk at that. They simply considered themselve Americans and were quite proud of that actually. They made it a point to learn English and while we celebrate many French traditions in our family, we do not identify ourselves as French but rather just Americans.

Although you don't ask anyone in my family their opinion on the British - that whole Grand Expulsion thing and all!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That would only be true of Florida, no?. The colonies themselves never belonged to Spain, the Midwest was purchased from France, the Northwest was owned by Britain and the U.S. from the outset, and the Southwestern territories belonged to Mexico at the time the Americans arrived.
----

Treaty of Tordesillas. The entire North American continent was the property of Spain. Of course, Spain could not chase away squatters because the empire was too big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History