U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 AM

4,083 posts, read 8,724,336 times

Advertisements

Today is December 7, 2010 and at 2:55pm est on this very day 69 years ago the Japanese attacked our naval forces at Pearl Harbor.....Throwing the United States headlong into a war with Japan. Last year I posted on this topic and I don't think that I could top what I said so I will add it to this post with some changes.......

I'm sitting here on this somber day and thinking about how far this country has come since the greatest generation answered the call to duty. My father lied about his age and enlisted in the Navy after Pearl Harbor, my great grandfather was Lt. Col in the army and my grandfather and my uncle all went to war, they didn't question they just went. They went to fight for us, they went to fight for their families and they went to fight for the honor and freedoms that are what this country was built on and lives and breaths for. The greatest generation is shrinking and while their numbers are slowly going away what have we done for them? What do they have to look forward to in their latter years of life in this country? How do we repay them for the unselfish act of honor and unquestionable dedication to what this country stands for? The greatest generation is just that and if you haven't read Tom Brokaws book then go out and get it and read it, read the follow up that is "The Greatest Generation Speaks". Teach your children what they did and tell them about the sacrifices they made for this country. Many many men paid the greatest price so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we have in this country, the freedoms that we enjoy on this board and the everyday freedoms that so many of us take for granted. WE CAN NEVER FORGET because if we do they will be forgotten. Their own gov't has forgotten many of them and the youth of today really seem like they could careless and thats partly because the schools just don't seem to teach that much about the great wars that we had to go thru to get where we are today. This is our history and history is what makes our future full of possibilities, possibilities that were secured with the blood of so many American boys that JUST WENT AND NEVER QUESTIONED.
We must keep their memories alive inside each and everyone of us, take the time to sit and listen, take the time to share those memories with them, but most importantly take the time! There are not many left and I'm sure that many of us still have someone that we can talk to, I no longer have my dad, he passed at at 83yrs. of age. Their are many new vets that are in this country and there are vets from other wars and they cannot be forgotten, but by remembering the greatest generation and their sacrifices we can help those that have fought in more recent wars by keeping the ideals and freedoms that they all have fought for alive. They were told to go and go they did and they should be honored and they should all be taken care of, they should be given the best and the greatest care that this country has to offer and if the gov't won't do it then we should when we can.
We could learn alot from these people, a soldier, sailor, marine is a unselfish person who willing will lay his life on the line for yours.

Godbless all of our vets and know in your hearts that YOU WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

I lost my father almost two years ago, teared up every time he spoke of the war, he would sit on this day and reflect quietly about his friends that have passed before him and those that never made it home. He was a man of few words when it came to the ugly side of the war and never spoke of the bad, only of the good times with his crew.

My father was a proud member of the first graduating class of the Navy Deep Sea Salvage and Diving School, class of 1942 and was hardhat and salvage diver, landing on the beaches of D-Day to clear the water of explosives and obstacles. He then went across Europe clearing the harbors along the way and fighting when they were not diving. All the way to Austria, then he went to the South Pacific.

We must never forget those that go willing to put themselves between us and the evil of the world, for they are the tip of the spear.

Last edited by weluvpa; 12-07-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 AM

2,362 posts, read 4,899,441 times
Indeed a somber day ..

God bless, and Thanks for your service

Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM

4,273 posts, read 11,139,311 times
If the GG had a fault it was that their hard work made it too easy for we who followed them. They worked hard in the 1950s to pay for the war, 1960s to pay for another war, education, and highways, and 1970s to pay for environmental protection. They made it so easy for us that like spoiled children we refuse to pay enough even to fix what the GG's paid to build. The GG's stared evil in the face, they knew that supporting our own government wasn't evil.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,509,042 times
Its sad that the youth of today for the most part if asked wouldn't even have a clue what today is..where have our priorities gone??

Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM

224 posts, read 213,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Today is December 7, 2010 and at 2:55pm est on this very day 69 years ago the Japanese attacked our naval forces at Pearl Harbor.....Throwing the United States headlong into a war with Japan. Last year I posted on this topic and I don't think that I could top what I said so I will add it to this post with some changes.......

I'm sitting here on this somber day and thinking about how far this country has come since the greatest generation answered the call to duty. My father lied about his age and enlisted in the Navy after Pearl Harbor, my great grandfather was Lt. Col in the army and my grandfather and my uncle all went to war, they didn't question they just went. They went to fight for us, they went to fight for their families and they went to fight for the honor and freedoms that are what this country was built on and lives and breaths for. The greatest generation is shrinking and while their numbers are slowly going away what have we done for them? What do they have to look forward to in their latter years of life in this country? The mayor has built a memorial and thats great but how does that help them? How does that repay them for the unselfish act of honor and unquestionable dedication to what this country stands for? The greatest generation is just that and if you haven't read Tom Brokaws book then go out and get it and read it, read the follow up that is "The Greatest Generation Speaks". Teach your children what they did and tell them about the sacrifices they made for this country. Many many men paid the greatest price so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we have in this country, the freedoms that we enjoy on this board and the everyday freedoms that so many of us take for granted. WE CAN NEVER FORGET because if we do they will be forgotten. Their own gov't has forgotten many of them and the youth of today really seem like they could careless and thats partly because the schools just don't seem to teach that much about the great wars that we had to go thru to get where we are today. This is our history and history is what makes our future full of possibilities, possibilities that were secured with the blood of so many American boys that JUST WENT AND NEVER QUESTIONED.
We must keep their memories alive inside each and everyone of us, take the time to sit and listen, take the time to share those memories with them, but most importantly take the time! There are not many left and I'm sure that many of us still have someone that we can talk to, I no longer have my dad, he passed at at 83yrs. of age. Their are many new vets that are in this country and there are vets from other wars and they cannot be forgotten, but by remembering the greatest generation and their sacrifices we can help those that have fought in more recent wars by keeping the ideals and freedoms that they all have fought for alive. They were told to go and go they did and they should be honored and they should all be taken care of, they should be given the best and the greatest care that this country has to offer and if the gov't won't do it then we should when we can.
We could learn alot from these people, a soldier, sailor, marine is a unselfish person who willing will lay his life on the line for yours.

Godbless all of our vets and know in your hearts that YOU WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.
Nicely said!

I go to the Arizona Memorial every year, when I visit my bro in Oahu...
Seeing the oil still coming to the suface of the harbor from the Arizona after all these years still moves me to tears...

Standing on the deck of the USS Missouri is a unbelievable experience...after seeing all those newsreels of the actual surrender of the Japanese On the mighty Battlewagon is just an awesome experience.

One year awhile back, one of the Vets back up his car in the parking lot and ran down a fellow Pearl Harbor survivor....one of the saddest days at Pearl beside the original attack...
People were in shock.
My Bro' teaches Science and Math at the Punahou School where Obama graduated from.

Last edited by coalboy; 12-07-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 PM

372 posts, read 1,180,431 times
I believe they still are "The Greatest Generation."

Got the opportunity to visit the Arizona Memorial when I was on my honeymoon; was overcome with emotion when I was there and sobbed as I threw my lei into the water there.

Never, NEVER forget...

Old 12-07-2010, 05:24 PM

210 posts, read 382,660 times
My dad was in the european theatre, and was one of the liberators of Dachau concentration camp, only talked about it one time and you could still hear and feel the confusion, disbelief and anger in his voice decades later. For several years now I have made sure any time I see a vet, from any war, I shake his hand and say thank you. Recently I paid for a gentleman's coffee and doughnut at dunkin doughnuts. Please, take the time to shake a hand, open a door or whatever to thank our vets on this day, and any and all other days through the year. They all deserve at the very least that recognition for their sacrifices and duty.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:40 PM

13,321 posts, read 21,828,684 times
That Memorial does bring out so many emotions. I cried too. I saw the names and that hit.......
I saw the oil and I had read it would be there. To see it was emotional....... The historic letters and
other items at the Museum.
I understand a bigger and better Museum is built now. I'd love to go back again...

Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,409,173 times
Default Pearl Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Its sad that the youth of today for the most part if asked wouldn't even have a clue what today is..where have our priorities gone??

My husband just got back from a business trip and sat next to a man who told him about a coworker who is in her twenties and knew nothing about Pearl Harbor. Coming into work he noticed that the flag was at half staff. He tried to recall if a noted person has passed, and then it hit him that it was December 7th. He mentioned this to the young woman who was supposedly well educated. She asked the meaning of the 7th, and he explained about the attack and the Arizona Memorial to the men and women who died. She said "I didn't realize there was a memorial like that in Arizona". This is the norm for young people. I for one will explain to my grandchildren when they are old enough the importance of keeping these memories alive.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Status: "Let's Get Biden To Quit Immediately, America. Amen." (set 11 days ago)

18,596 posts, read 16,614,951 times
You mean studying history is more important than Dancing with the Stars, or following the nonsense of Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and Lyndey Lohan?

Who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History