U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,100,717 times

Advertisements

I just started this book. Looks like it may take me a while, because it's a rather large and dense volume, and my reading time is less than I would prefer. At any rate, it has grabbed my interest right away. It covers the time of our expansion across the Appalachian Mts. into the Ohio River Valley. I am impressed with the level of detail the author seems able to provide about relatively obscure events. This era of our history I think is ignored to a certain extent, but it was a crucial time in our development as a nation, and shaped events far down the road.

Have any of you read it or are familiar with it? What are your thoughts on Mr. Eckert's version of these events?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM

10,257 posts, read 20,847,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Have any of you read it or are familiar with it? What are your thoughts on Mr. Eckert's version of these events?

Eckert is a good storyteller and doesn't let the truth get in the way of a good story. Read him as you would read a historical novel.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,100,717 times
Thanks for your comment, Irishtom. I kinda thought that. He includes a lot of things that I'm not sure could be substantiated, and his particular bias is fairly easy to spot. At any rate, it seems a good read so far.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 AM

8,262 posts, read 17,820,532 times
It seems I remember hearing once that the word "Kentucky" was a Native American word meaning something like "dark and bloody ground."

Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM

10,257 posts, read 20,847,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
It seems I remember hearing once that the word "Kentucky" was a Native American word meaning something like "dark and bloody ground."

Yeah; I read that that too years ago though I wouldn't be surprised if it's been debunked.

The Kentuckians disliked Indians, particularly so I mean, and I can't think of a state that has less Indian place names than Kentucky. All that come to mind are Kentucky itself, the Kentucky River and the town of Paducah. And the Dix River which was named after an Indian named Dick.

In any event the contrast compared to states like Michigan, Wisconsin and even Illinois is striking.

I lived down there in Lexington for three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History