Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepfan1963 View Post
not to blow my home state's horn,but toot,toot!
the state with the most interesting and most connected to our government has to be my home state of VIRGINIA! we have had 7 presidents,including two in the top 5 with jefferson and washington,we have had patrick henry,and look at jamestown,as well as big battles in the civil war that took place in virginia,like bull run,and where was it that lee surrendered to grant?appomattox,Va! when you talk about history that takes place in the most historic state,there is VIRGINIA,and then there is everybody else a very distant second!
Virginia also had nearly double the population of any other state in 1790, and was the largest state in the union. So of course, had the largest concentation of "important" people and "important" events by their brute statistical overnumerousnesses. (I've always wanted to use that word, the longest I can think of with no letters above or below the lower-case line.)

Of the presidents 31-40, five of the ten were born or raised in the 500-mile space from Abilene KS to Dixon IL, but that sure as hell doesn't make Iowa the pivotal center of the region that is historically "most interesting".

Last edited by jtur88; 12-21-2010 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
For me it would be Texas: Spanish/Mexican/Texan and American Flags, Cattle Drives, Texas Rangers.
Then California: Spanish/Mexican/Bear Flag and American Flags, Gold Rush, Pony Express, etc .
and maybe for third Missouri : Gateway to the west, wagon Trains, Ripped apart during the Civil War, Quantrill, Jesse James and later Ma Barker, Machine guns etc etc

Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Ohio as Irishtom said about the indians and French and Indian War Tecumseh the great Shawnee Chief and his brother the Profhet,Blue Jacket... they have a outdoor drama in Chillicothe Ohio called Tecumseh with horses and the whole shebang.The Ancient Moundbuilders Hopewell Indians,the early French explorers,Erie Canal,Morgans Raiders,the Underground Railroad,seven U.S. Presidents the first hippy commune in 1840's at Utopia Ohio....lollollol

Old 12-22-2010, 06:59 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,654,903 times
It's surprising that nobody has mentioned West Virginia. It is the only geographic remnant of the Civil War, and, if you like for the USA to adhere to the Constitution, WV should not even exist.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:40 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
the state with the most interesting and most connected to our government has to be my home state of VIRGINIA! we have had 7 presidents,including two in the top 5 with jefferson and washington,we have had patrick henry,and look at jamestown,as well as big battles in the civil war that took place in virginia,like bull run,and where was it that lee surrendered to grant?appomattox,Va! when you talk about history that takes place in the most historic state,there is VIRGINIA,and then there is everybody else a very distant second!
Yeap i'm with ya on Virginia.

Also two major continental wars for the most part ended there a.k.a. the Revolutionary War British General Cornwallis surrender at Yorktown and the Civil War Confederate General Lee surrender at Appomattox.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:30 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's surprising that nobody has mentioned West Virginia. It is the only geographic remnant of the Civil War, and, if you like for the USA to adhere to the Constitution, WV should not even exist.
Hi, Mensaguy. I put some more info on my website, enjoy. I think you might like the section on the Richmond Convention, brand new information.

West Virginia, the Other History

Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Default Honk Honk

Quote:
Great, don't. For the record, I think Ohio has had 8 presidents. While not as prestigious they were from Ohio. And no, I'm not saying it is the most interesting state. Far from it. But, it does have the distinction as being the "Mother of Presidents"....I didn't coin it, it's just a fact....the 8 presidents are:

William Henry Harrison: 9th Actually born in VA...held office for one month, died...first president to die in office....buried in Ohio...was his "home"
Ulysses S. Grant: This cagey rascal needs no introduction....Mr. "Can Do" no matter how many get hurt along the way...Cold Harbor represent!....18th Pres

Rutherford Hayes: 19th...made first call from the White House...probably toll free....

James Garfield: 20th...was a congressman, senator and got whacked 4 months into the job....probably what makes Canton McKinley's football team tough....

Benjamin Harrison: 23rd...grandson of William Henry Harrison...both, minor footnotes....except for the Sherman Anti-Trust Act....

William McKinley: 25th...2 time govnuh and 1 time congressman...he got whacked in office too...believed in high tariffs on foreign goods...and he was a Republican in what is arguably a Democratic State!!! You Dems should thank him!!!!

William Howard Taft: 27th...big fella...over 300lbs...biggest one we ever had to date....apparently liked to eat....made a special bathtub for this guy...a potential lineman the University of Alabama (say it like Keith Jackson....the universitee of ala bamma) could only hope for...served as the Chief Justice of the United States in his last years....

Warren Harding:29th....only lived 2 years into his term...won big though..landslide....change in progressive movement from TR's days...won 60 some percent of the popular vote..eat that BO!!!....Cool Calvin (Calvin Coolidge) was his VP...my favorite of all time..what a character....unemployment dropped in half during his administration by FOSTERING BIG BUSINESS....are you listening White House??? History doesn't treat him so kind...too many scandals in his administration....good guy, wrong crowd....oh and yeah, he had West Indian Blood in him so he was part African American...I guess he beat BO in that category afterall.....dropped dead in a hotel lobby in 1923....

I'd say if judging by Presidents, Ohio earns at least an honorable mention? I'd say they take the prize for the most who died (4) in office, 2 by assassins.....I guess they didn't like people from Ohio back then either...go figure...and one big ol' fella with a special bathtub installed just for him....hey, for a 10 President run, they had one of their guys in 6 of the 10 from numbers 19 through 29....deserves some kind of insiders award...

And no, not Grover Cleveland.....he was born in NJ....Cleveland Ohio was named after Moses Cleveland in 1796 whereupon, it has gone down hill ever since

Virginia? Yep, very historical place. Noooo doubt about it....the only place I can think of where their favorite general, who was praised as hallowed in the South (Lee) who found out later that he didn't go or believe in Secession for the South but rather, he merely went with loyalty to Virginia which essentially is hard for some Southerners to swallow....later to have his house turned into the greatest cemetery we have, Arlington.....as a clear message of what that war brought on....

So.....the South basically followed a guy whose loyalty lay with Virginia, not necessarily secession, only to lose, and then have his house desecrated which ultimately created a most hallowed and sacred groud known as Arlington Cemetery........yep...THAT is historical.....full of ironies....dont' you think?

Outside of that, your call.....

Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Also two major continental wars for the most part ended there a.k.a. the Revolutionary War British General Cornwallis surrender at Yorktown and the Civil War Confederate General Lee surrender at Appomattox.
Ole Joe Johnston surrendered an army made of the remnants of the Army of Tennessee and the evacuated coastal garrisons to Uncle Billy a couple of weeks after the surrender of Lee's army. Then there was Richard Taylor's army recently driven from Mobile which surrendered later than Old Joe's and Kirby Smith's trans-Mississippi army which surrendered later yet.

I understand you qualified your statement with "for the most part" but I argue against the eastern centric theory of the war when given a chance. The war was won on a line running from the Ohio down through Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta; then over to the Sea and up through the Carolinas with a secondary western side line running from Cairo down to Memphis and Vicksburg. The Midwest won the war.

That isn't saying that I don't appreciate the wonderful history of the state of Virginia.

Regards

Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Grant was born in Ohio but lived in Galena Illinois when the War of the Rebellion started, went to war as an officer of Illinois volunteers, was made a general by an Illinoisan (Lincoln) on the advice of Illinois politicians and went to the White House as an Illinoisan.

After he retired he lived in New York.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Ole Joe Johnston surrendered an army made of the remnants of the Army of Tennessee and the evacuated coastal garrisons to Uncle Billy a couple of weeks after the surrender of Lee's army. Then there was Richard Taylor's army recently driven from Mobile which surrendered later than Old Joe's and Kirby Smith's trans-Mississippi army which surrendered later yet.

I understand you qualified your statement with "for the most part" but I argue against the eastern centric theory of the war when given a chance. The war was won on a line running from the Ohio down through Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta; then over to the Sea and up through the Carolinas with a secondary western side line running from Cairo down to Memphis and Vicksburg. The Midwest won the war.

That isn't saying that I don't appreciate the wonderful history of the state of Virginia.

Regards
Very true. It was the western effort that very clearly won the war for the north.

To the OP, Massachusetts and Virginia have the most interesting histories in my opinion. Mainly due to the people and thought originating from them during the time of our country's founding. Honorable mention to Pennsylvania, for the same reason, and Lousiana for many other reasons. No offense please, but Texas just kind of bores me, generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History