Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times

Advertisements

Challenger explosion: I was at home sick and watched it live.

9/11: I was at work in Washington, DC. I started getting emails and calls telling me what happened in New York. My co-workers and I went to a conference room and watched a lot of it unfold. One of my co-workers had been talking with a friend in one of the towers when the phone went dead. She came in to watch with us in horror as the building crashed. Another of my co-workers was dating someone at the Pentagon. After the Pentagon was hit our building went into shut-down and kicked us out. I went to a hotel with some of my co-workers while we tried to reach friends that we were worried about and I eventually walked home. The whole thing was surreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
[quote=Charles;17066990]If you're old enough to have experienced these events, chances are you still remember exactly what you were doing when they happened.

Feel free to share what you were doing when you found out or experienced some of these events.

Also, feel free to add to these. These are just some events to start the thread.

1929 Stock Market Crash
Pearl Harbor Bombing
Atomic Bombs 1945
JFK Assassination
RFK Assassination
Man walks on moon
Space Shuttle Challenger
Reagan Shot
9/11 Terrorist Attacks
Elvis Died

Others? Please share.

First I can remember
Man walks on Moon
Upstairs in parents house in sisters room watching a grainy B & W TV not really comprehending what it was all about but thinking the guy had a cool looking snow suit on

Elvis Died
Soaking stamps off of envelopes in upstairs bathroom sink for stamp collecting with transistor radio propped on the soap dish holder built in to wall listening to AM Radio back when they used to play music!

Reagan Shot
English Class in High School and forever having the image of my not as yet finished wood shop project - a wooden spice rack sitting next to me on absent seat - burnished in my synapses. Strange, it just goes to show 'stress sensory association moments' - I still think I can smell the pine wood.

Space Shuttle Challenger
Just remember seeing the replay on TV ad nauseum and recalling its initial lauch which we were able to watch in a h.s. class few years prior.

OKC Bombing
On road traveling listening to AM news radio. Recall how initial reports kept changing until the government investigators clamped down and began the "official narrative version". One guy with a Ryder truck filled with fertilizer bomb - *right* pay no attention to all the "non filtered news reported prior" and then all the subsequent inconsistencies and conveniences

TWA Flight 800 Crash July 1996
I was stuck in rental car leaving Chicago O'Hare in rush hour traffic to go south. Same M.O. as OKC initial reports from over 200 Long Island sound witnesses and others somehow get tossed aside / disregarded by media reporting once the "Official Government Investigators narrative machine" cranks into gear. Always recall this day, because there were tornado warnings along my way south through Illinois toward Bloomington and had to at one point, take cover in a fast food chains bathroom with a small group of others until the tornado passed. Strangest sky I ever saw - reminded me of Voltaire "Dante In Hell" visages..

WTC 9-11 or "Operation Northwoods" revived?
At home in job search mode watching most of it unfold on TV as I heard it on radio newschannel and flipped on TV.
From my residence I watched plane after plane landing due to the imposed FAA flight cancellation at nearby international airport. It was strange to see only incoming in rapid succession, with no outgoing. Post 9-11 job market tanked.
Followed same M.O. as prior two events in media coverage, as 'official govt narrative machine' cranks into gear. Who really had the means (or supplied them)? Access unabated to the WTC service core of towers for months prior? Who benefits? Where and when did the ALL money go missing? What is the "Hegelian" new synthesis of the outcome from it. See: USS Maine, RMS Lusitania, Pearl Harbor, Gulf of Tonkin, Reichstag Fire (the Police State conditioning program), underwear 'bomber' etc....

Space Shuttle Discovery
Much like Challenger in memory - video after video replay (of the break up on reentry debris field strewn across Texas sky) emblazoned on TV. Standing in a restaurant seeing the replay for the umpteenth time thinking of the Monty Python Galaxy Song with it's catchy tune... 'just remember that we're standing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at 900 miles an hour....' - 'and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, cause there's bugger all down here on earth'

The Great North East Coast Black out of August 2003:
At home. lost power on pc and radio news begin reporting of widespread power outage. By evening news confirms it spreads all the way to east coast and up into parts of Canada. regained power next day late in evening but recall being awed by the clear starry sky without light pollution in metro area and listening to surrounding metro AM news radio channels covering their cities and the stories people were all sharing how they were coping without power.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM

677 posts, read 851,890 times
Space shuttle Challenger: Was sitting at the control board of our college radio station playing some really weird song by a San Francisco based band The German Shepherds, when a listener called in to tell me that Challenger had exploded. The timing of the call seemed eerie.

9/11 Ready to depart on a connecting flight out of Atlanta, when all of a sudden the pilot had taken his mike, put it to the radio so that the cabin could hear what was going on. We all deplaned and searched for the nearest TV set to see what was happening. Horrible all around.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM

190 posts, read 391,885 times
Space Shuttle.....Getting ready for work while watching the launch on t.v.
Reagan Shot....Don't remember exactly. Just remember watching the news coverage.
Elvis Died....Pulling into the driveway of my cousin's house as it was announced on the radio.
9/11 Attacks....Driving back from dropping my kids off at school. I thought I heard the radio wrong so I turnd the t.v. on
when I got home and was shocked when I saw the news footage.
Bombing of USS Stark....Sitting on the floor folding baby clothes when the news came on. My husband was in the Navy and
out to sea at the time so I sat there rubbing my 6 months pregnant belly crying for God only knows
how long.
John Lennon Shot....Getting ready for bed because I had school the next day.
Iran Hostages Released....At my grandmother's house visiting and heard relatives talking about it. I remember thinking how
freaked out I'd be if I were in their shoes.
End of the Viet Nam War....I remember coming in from outside and my mom having the t.v. on so I sat and watched as they
were taking people from the rooftop in a helicopter. It was eerie as a 9 year old child to see
people hanging on to these helicopter skids because they were so scared and couldn't fit into the
actual cabin of the helicopter itself.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
To name a few:
Man first walks on moon.
1929 Stock Market Crash
Pearl Harbor Bombing
Atomic Bombs 1945
JFK Assassination
RFK Assassination
Man walks on moon
Wasn't born yet.

Quote:
Space Shuttle Challenger
I was in fifth grade, 10 years old. I remember a teacher came into my classroom, pulled my teacher aside, whispered to her, and my teacher walked us down to the auditorium where most of the rest of the students already were, watching the shuttle blow up over and over on a small TV.

Quote:
Reagan Shot
I was 5 or 6 so I don't really remember it.

Quote:
9/11 Terrorist Attacks
I was living abroad at the time but was visiting friends in England. I suppose that is why I associate the attacks with the afternoon rather than the morning, since I was 5 hours ahead of New York and it was already after lunch where I was. I remember watching television; for some reason that I don't recall, I was alone in the house; a banner flashed at the bottom of the screen saying a small plane had hit the World Trade Center, so I changed the channel to a 24-hour news network just in time to see the second plane hit live. The rest, we all know.

Quote:
Elvis Died
I was 2, so I don't remember it.

A couple more:

Berlin Wall Falls: I was 14 years old. I was in bed when they started playing images of people standing on top of the Berlin Wall on television. My mother came and got me out of bed so I could watch it. We both cried tears of joy. (One of my grandparents was German.)

OJ Verdict: I was a junior in college and was living in a sorority house. Our cook and housekeeper were both black; all of the sorority girls were white. Several of us gathered around the TV in the common area, along with the cook and housekeeper, to watch the verdict. The cook and housekeeper were elated. The rest of us were not pleased at all.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Space Shuttle Discovery
Much like Challenger in memory - video after video replay (of the break up on reentry debris field strewn across Texas sky) emblazoned on TV. Standing in a restaurant seeing the replay for the umpteenth time thinking of the Monty Python Galaxy Song with it's catchy tune... 'just remember that we're standing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at 900 miles an hour....' - 'and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, cause there's bugger all down here on earth'
Not to nitpick, but that was Columbia...not Discovery.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
The only big events that made major impressions are:

JFK Assassination: I was in 1st grade, and we were at lunch in the cafeteria. The teachers all were crying. I didn't know what was going on, but that they were all crying scared me.

John Lennon shot: An old friend, and fellow Beatlemaniac, called me just as I was getting home from work. I turned on the tv and cried as I watched.

9/11: At home, asleep. My sister called me with the news, and I turned on the television, and watched in horror.

Mt. St. Helens: At home in Portland. Again, go a phone call. I sat at my dining room table and watched it on my little television. Then, we went up to a nearby mountain top to watch the cloud. Awesome sight. Mother nature is certainly nothing to mess with.

Everything else, they were just news reports on television.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Being born in '81 I can only comment on a few mentioned

challenger explosion - recall only b/c every teacher in my school made a big deal out of it b/c there was a teacher on board.

persian gulf war - was in 4th grade at the time. i still have the collectible trading cards haha. i remember thinking "what!!! war???? really????" and then it ended as soon as it began and I was like "that's not a war". this from the kid who had his dad read him world war 2 books in 2nd grade. i had been let down lol.

la riots in 92 - i went to an elementary school that was a fine arts magnet school. racial make up was 80% black and 20% white. the 20% white came from the magnet program haha. I literally remember feeling like being white was a bad thing.

9/11 - i was a junior in college at the University of Toledo. Was living in a dorm that was 17 floors up on the 14th floor. i woke up to the sound of the fire alarm and everyone leaving the building. fire alarms were common for a lot of reason (mostly drunks having way too much fun at everyone's expense). it was a nice clear sunny fall day in Toledo, Ohio and i walked outside thinking no big deal. others around me were talking about something happening in NYC and i didn't understand what they were talking about until I got back up to my dorm room and turned on CNN. the rest of the day was bizarre. the dorm went on full lock down. you had to show your ID to leave and to re-enter that day. classes were called off. My Comparative World Politics prof. on Thursday asked the 25 of us in class that day if we wanted to learn about German politics or discuss what had happened. For 90 minutes we discussed what happened. 9/11 to me was the end of the 90's. Up until that day the 90s as a decade lived on. It was only after that event that things changed for me. I became more political for one. I became more of people's inherent racist ignorant attitudes. I remember clear as day a girl I worked with commenting on how "I bet it was those dirty jews". I didn't say anything I just looked at her like "really??". The remainder of the school year was more or less filled with some kind of discussion or talk of that days events.

Clinton Scandal - I was a senior in high school. i remember the evening tv broadcasts were filled with this event. you couldn't escape it. the sad thing is my government teacher spent almost no time bringing it up in class. I always felt looking back at it as he missed a chance to discuss something current with us and he failed.

Columbine - I was a senior in high school with only a month before graduation. I had a dream the night before of being chased down a hallway at school by 2 guys shooting at me. I woke up the next day went to school and then came home for a few minutes before baseball practice. turned on the TV and was glued. could not believe what was going on. The rest of the school year that remained was filled with lock down drills, 4 or 5 police cruisers at the school daily. then again I went to an urban school so 2 cruisers were normal haha. I remember school being more loosey goosey before columbine.

I remember the Atlanta Olympic bombing - we had just got home from a family vacation turned on the tv and there it was. I remember telling my mom while on vacation "don't be surprised if someone does something dumb at these games".

Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
[quote=ciceropolo;27941241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you're old enough to have experienced these events, chances are you still remember exactly what you were doing when they happened.

Feel free to share what you were doing when you found out or experienced some of these events.

Also, feel free to add to these. These are just some events to start the thread.

1929 Stock Market Crash
Pearl Harbor Bombing
Atomic Bombs 1945
JFK Assassination
RFK Assassination
Man walks on moon
Space Shuttle Challenger
Reagan Shot
9/11 Terrorist Attacks
Elvis Died

Others? Please share.

First I can remember
Man walks on Moon
Upstairs in parents house in sisters room watching a grainy B & W TV not really comprehending what it was all about but thinking the guy had a cool looking snow suit on

Elvis Died
Soaking stamps off of envelopes in upstairs bathroom sink for stamp collecting with transistor radio propped on the soap dish holder built in to wall listening to AM Radio back when they used to play music!

Reagan Shot
English Class in High School and forever having the image of my not as yet finished wood shop project - a wooden spice rack sitting next to me on absent seat - burnished in my synapses. Strange, it just goes to show 'stress sensory association moments' - I still think I can smell the pine wood.

Space Shuttle Challenger
Just remember seeing the replay on TV ad nauseum and recalling its initial lauch which we were able to watch in a h.s. class few years prior.

OKC Bombing
On road traveling listening to AM news radio. Recall how initial reports kept changing until the government investigators clamped down and began the "official narrative version". One guy with a Ryder truck filled with fertilizer bomb - *right* pay no attention to all the "non filtered news reported prior" and then all the subsequent inconsistencies and conveniences

TWA Flight 800 Crash July 1996
I was stuck in rental car leaving Chicago O'Hare in rush hour traffic to go south. Same M.O. as OKC initial reports from over 200 Long Island sound witnesses and others somehow get tossed aside / disregarded by media reporting once the "Official Government Investigators narrative machine" cranks into gear. Always recall this day, because there were tornado warnings along my way south through Illinois toward Bloomington and had to at one point, take cover in a fast food chains bathroom with a small group of others until the tornado passed. Strangest sky I ever saw - reminded me of Voltaire "Dante In Hell" visages..

WTC 9-11 or "Operation Northwoods" revived?
At home in job search mode watching most of it unfold on TV as I heard it on radio newschannel and flipped on TV.
From my residence I watched plane after plane landing due to the imposed FAA flight cancellation at nearby international airport. It was strange to see only incoming in rapid succession, with no outgoing. Post 9-11 job market tanked.
Followed same M.O. as prior two events in media coverage, as 'official govt narrative machine' cranks into gear. Who really had the means (or supplied them)? Access unabated to the WTC service core of towers for months prior? Who benefits? Where and when did the ALL money go missing? What is the "Hegelian" new synthesis of the outcome from it. See: USS Maine, RMS Lusitania, Pearl Harbor, Gulf of Tonkin, Reichstag Fire (the Police State conditioning program), underwear 'bomber' etc....

Space Shuttle Discovery

The Great North East Coast Black out of August 2003:
At home. lost power on pc and radio news begin reporting of widespread power outage. By evening news confirms it spreads all the way to east coast and up into parts of Canada. regained power next day late in evening but recall being awed by the clear starry sky without light pollution in metro area and listening to surrounding metro AM news radio channels covering their cities and the stories people were all sharing how they were coping without power.

I was laying down on my couch in my apt taking a nap with the AC on right above me. really hot out that day in Toledo, Ohio and it felt great.. I woke up in a sweat as the AC had gone off and my roommate was nudging me like man wake up the power is off.

At first we thought our power was off because we hadn't paid it (which was true, hadn't paid it in 2 months). then we outside and saw that the stairwell lights were all off as well. we then caught up with a maintenance guy and were like all our lights in our building are off. the guy was like "yea you are the entire midwest / east coast". we hopped in my roommates mustang to go pick up his paycheck from work and the streets were PACKED with cars. we found out later what had been going on.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
Elvis died: Sitting in traffic listening to my Mother crying
Prince Charles & Lady Di marry: Homeroom Freshman year
Hostages released in Lebanon: Studying for finals in my bedroom
Marine Barracks bombed: Waikiki hotel with my Marine friends
US Frankfurt PX bombed : New Soldier landing in Frankfurt (what timing!)
Challenger explosion: Guarding the enterance of V Corps HQ Frankfurt
US Bombs Libya: Gate guard V Corps; anti-American rally outside gate
Chernobyl: Vacationing in Paris

Too much violence, too much blood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History