Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:06 PM

3,506 posts, read 762,925 times

Advertisements

as you say since the war is over again i found this quite amusing ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_gWsWcs3Qc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:29 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
as you say since the war is over again i found this quite amusing ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_gWsWcs3Qc
I watch Conan regularly and saw that segment when it was first broadcast.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:21 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The tune is a toe tapper, but the accent is heavy enough that most of the lyrics were lost to me. Internet to the rescue...

https://mainlynorfolk.info/peter.bel...healabama.html

The final verse is off by a year, the battle with the Kearsarge was in 1864.

I tried to avoid coloring the narrative with my personal opinions while writing the thread, but now that it is finished, I feel unfettered.
The two versions o fthe song I've heard refer to the "three mile limit in '64."

Old 08-16-2017, 02:40 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A most excellent read. Kudos to you Grandstander for your persistence in keeping this updated..
The Civil War era was my most favorite in US History.

I came here every few days to catch up and have bookmarked it so I can go back and read again.
Let me bump this back to the top. Only got half way through and need to catch up especially in todays Political world.

Needs to be a sticky. Best History around.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:19 AM

I came across this video featuring Civil War photographs which have been colorized. I think that one gets a much better feel for how people and places really looked when color is added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJrBTS_mOxY

Old 08-04-2019, 05:50 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,014 times
Jack’s combat spanned many dates

Jack Hinson's One-Man War, A Civil War Sniper
by Tom McKenney

Short video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RYgOCCwWC8

Old 08-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Jack’s combat spanned many dates

Jack Hinson's One-Man War, A Civil War Sniper
by Tom McKenney

Short video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RYgOCCwWC8
I wasn't previously familiar with the Hinson story, thank you for posting this.

I noticed as intro music the video borrowed from Ken Burns and used "Ashokan Farewell." I suspect that most believe it to be a song from the Civil War era, but it was actually composed in 1982 by folk musician Jay Ungar. It was written to be the final number of the Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camps events.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:33 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Today is August 5th.
The Battle of Mobile Bay was fought on this day - and several other days, too! "Damn the torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead", and all that stuff.....

I am not a huge Civil War Buff, but I have become keenly interested in The Battle of Mobile Bay. We use Dauphin Island, where Ft Gaines is located, as a vacation destination. There is a ferry running across the bay to Ft Morgan, so I have visited both forts many times.
August in Mobile Bay! For people who have not experienced such heat and humidity, the environment can be paralyzing. I have tried to imagine fighting in those conditions. It is hard.

Mobile Bay was closed to the Confederacy after the battle, and since it was the last major port, the end of the war was in sight. There would be no more supplies coming in.

Farragut (Damn the Torpedoes...) is not given enough credit for his role in the war, I think. Early in the war he took New Orleans, thereby closing the Mississippi River as a sea port. The cotton growers up the river were stunned. Maybe Farragut doesn't get much recognition because his victories were in the South, or maybe it's just because The Civil War is mostly recognized as a land battle, with horse soldiers.

FWIW the Hunley, the successful submarine used in Charleston, was built in Mobile. She has now been raised, the crew members exhumed and is on display in Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History