Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times

Advertisements

I've read several accounts, including the Catholic Encyclopedia, but none seen to agree on who "they" were or how boundaries were established. I am particularly interested in the abbeys and bishoprics (diocese?) The discussion of the Mongols is what prompted me to ask. Unfortunately I cannot translate Dutch history, nor am I able to read books due to failing vision. Your answers are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Languages are always pretty good indicators of history. Dutch is an offshoot from German, and about a millennium or so ago, was just a dialect of German, much as High German, Austrian and Swiss are now pretty distinctive but mutually intelligible. Once a political boundary is established, the language tends to go its separate ways independently, on either side of the border. Belgium hasn't been around long enough for the languages inside the borders to shift, and Belgians now speak a language still the same as those spoken in neighboring Netherlands and France, which attests to Belgium's relatively recent pedigree.

How long a fixed and defended border has been in place can often be estimated by how much time the languages on either side have had to deviate from one another.

Dutch has been quite distinct from German since about the 8th century, which implies that the division between the two countries was fairly complete by then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Dutch

I know this doesn't answer your specific question, but looking at the development of the language can often tell you something about the political geography that might not be revealed just by looking at historical maps.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-22-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 06:17 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
I'm no expert and it would probably take a book to fully answer your question, but I would imagine some of the diocese go back to when that area was first Christianized under Charlemagne (I'm not sure why you wrote "diocese?", but basically a diocese is a geographical area under the authority of a bishop. An abbey is a place where monks live.) The Low Countries include The Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg and have changed hands over the years, sometimes part of France, The Holy Roman Empire, Spain, Austria, etc. Basically a long complex history.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Although I have visited those countries many, many times I make no pretense on being an expert on the Benelux countries.

Basically, Belgium was predominantly Roman Catholic and the Netherlands was mostly Protestant. Hence the Belgian artist Peter Paul Rubens was a Catholic and the Dutch artist Rembrandt Van Rijn was a Protestant. Through the early 17th Century these countries were ruled by Spain, but gained their independence after a long war and struggle.

The hero of the mostly Protestant Netherlands (North Holland, South Holland, Friesland, Zealand, North Brabant, Groningen, Gelderland, etc.) was a fellow we English speaking people call William The Silent, the Dutch call him Wilhelmus Van Nassowe, and their beautiful National Anthem "Het Wilhemus" is about him. William the Silent, the Prince of Nassau, was assassinated by a Catholic fanatic, who was later caught and tortured before he was finally put to death.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I've read several accounts, including the Catholic Encyclopedia, but none seen to agree on who "they" were or how boundaries were established. I am particularly interested in the abbeys and bishoprics (diocese?) The discussion of the Mongols is what prompted me to ask. Unfortunately I cannot translate Dutch history, nor am I able to read books due to failing vision. Your answers are appreciated.
Linicx

Are you asking about the early foundations of the Dutch people and language or are you asking about the early catholic church foundation in the low country since you mentioned the abbeys and diocese are your particular interests as i've studied both however i'm confused by what you're asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History