Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times

Advertisements

The Union defintion is control by what they can get mnay that do such things to agree to. The U is most a powerless;debating body really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,174,825 times
I'd say its a fine line in the defination which can be argued in some cases. If Cambodia is not genocide then is Rwanda? The two groups were of the same tribe with some small difference that nobody outside of Rwanda itself could tell. The victums and the killers were both of the same country so by that defination, unless you take into account a social/historical grouping, they did not have a genocide.

Cambodia is like some mad dark plan to remake society based on wiping out all but the blank slate so I do see in terms of that how it could be considered a horrendous war crime. But it also included definate standards and clues to who should die, so it was not random either.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM

13,621 posts, read 20,674,687 times
Mass Murder is a more than sufficient phrase to describe what happened in Cambodia.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,965,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Would we be concerned about Dafur if there was oil there or if we needed a pipeline across the Sudan to the Red Sea?
You're implying that only the USA is turning a blind eye.

How much concern is there from the body of people who's job it is to do something....the UN?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Unfortunately, the killing fields of Cambodia were a direct result and an undesirable consequence of the Anti-War movement's success at ending the war in Vietnam.
George McGovern urged Gerald Ford that the US do something to stop the killing fields and to cease the US tolerance of the Khmer Rouge regime.

Ford dismissed his concerns outright and did nothing. The Ford Administration turned a blind eye to the savagery in Cambodia because Pol Pot and his cohorts were enemies of the USSR and Vietnam - "enemy of my enemy is my friend" type stuff.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,090,790 times
A genocide, of course.
A genocide based on a crackpotish UTOPIA just like most genocides.
Nazis also commited genocide on their own people based on a crackpotish UTOPIA; Gays, Communists, Jews, Democrats, Communist, Pacifists and Liberals killed by Nazis were in many cases German.
In Cambodia the culprit was another crackpotish UTOPIA, the Utopia of Primitive Communism.
According to this Utopia, all literate men from cities, all people over a certain age, all owners, all people that spoke a foreign language or had some education had to be wiped out to create a Primitive Communism in a Equalitarian Agrarian Society.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 AM

2,324 posts, read 5,487,575 times
A bit of an aside, but there is a new documentary about the genocide/mass murder in Cambodia that looks really interesting. I'm planning to see it in a couple of weeks.

Enemies of the People Movie :: Reviews

Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,585,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
...snipped...P.S. Up until the most recent couple rounds of NK "activity" most of the younger generation is South Korea viewed the US as the problem and that if we left it would be all peace and love. Personally, I think we should pull out if they don't want us there and they can deal with their decision.
I know this is an older post but, I would like to ask this question....isn't our military presence in S Korea necessary to give us another military base in Asia ? Not just to protect S Korea but as a jumping off point if trouble begins in the area ?That is what I thought.
I do believe if we left, N Korea would be across the border in a heartbeat but, they may be what they want.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,842,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'd say its a fine line in the defination which can be argued in some cases. If Cambodia is not genocide then is Rwanda? The two groups were of the same tribe with some small difference that nobody outside of Rwanda itself could tell. The victums and the killers were both of the same country so by that defination, unless you take into account a social/historical grouping, they did not have a genocide.
The Tutsis and the Hutus were "of the same tribe"? I don't think so. Can you give us a link to some info on this? (I will be happy to say I am wrong if warranted).

Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,090,790 times
The Tutsis and the Hutus were two different groups created by European colonizers, Belgians.
Tutsis were chosen because they had more amenable traits to European colonizers, so they were chosen as managers and responsible positions. Hutus are more African looking.
Such a differentiation provoked the appearance of two "tribes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History