Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

When I was in school, there was almost no study of the history of the state of Wisconsin. In grade school, around 5th grade, there was a monthly reader that came out of the State Historical Society, and our teacher would spend about an hour discussing its extracurricular contents. In High School, the state was covered only anecdotally by the Civics teacher, to the extent that he knew anything about the state in the first place, but no formal study of it from textbooks. No exam ever required any more than the name of the state capital and the year of admission to the union, which was easy because I was in 5th grade in the centennial year.

By contrast, when I got to college in Louisiana, my classmates had a mind-boggling depth of knowledge about the history of the state, could name a lot of ex-governors and what they did, knew exactly where all geographical features were, and could describe war battles in Louisiana in minute detail, which they argued over endlessly.

Of course, when your state's history is populated by people like Huey Long, Jean Lafitte, Andrew Jackson, and Evangeline (never mind that she was fictitious), it's a lot easier for a student to get enthusiastic about it.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-31-2010 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 03:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I took a CA history course in hs. I enjoyed it.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I made a mission in the 4th grade. Trust me. That says everything.

I was educated by the state of California. Starting with elementary school we got city, county and state history out the wazoo. To this day I can tell you the story of Rudolph Boysen and his amazing berry. I know about grape crop failures, Madame Modjeska, the history of the bear on the state flag, and why Anaheim Bay is named Anaheim Bay even though it's not in Anaheim. We went to Capistrano to learn about Father Serra and observe the swallows. I can look at an old orange crate label and tell you where it was packed. (OK. I'm exaggerating. But only a little.) We went to Balboa to learn about (get ready for it) Balboa and his amazing feats of sailing and discovery.

I even got herded onto the train to ride from Fullerton to Olvera Street to learn more about the roots of the proud people of the El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula.

Twice.

Oh, and I didn't get to go down to Michael's or someplace and buy some jive pre-fab, stryofoam "Mission Kit". Nope. Kinney's shoe box and paper mache. Mission Santa Barbara, the "Queen of the Missions".

(Does learning Don Drysdale's ERA count as history?)

Old 12-31-2010, 03:56 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I can't remember.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
I was born in Montreal, Quebec where we were taught extensive history of our Province - of which the Francophones are intensely proud.

My Family then moved to Pennsylvania where I had "civics" classes which also gave me a very good background on not just it's history, but the way in which government operates.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,431 times
Four times, by the time i graduated from HS in Va. That is to say, for four of the 12 years, the history study was only Va. history starting in the 3rd grade. Of course back then, we were taught (seriously) that slavery was good, Plessy vs. Ferguson was still the law of the land and that the settlement at Jamestown was the cumulation of all of western civilization up to that point.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,649 times
In 7th grade, we have to take a Utah history class. It's really boring, especially since most people know everything interesting about the state by then.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:46 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,924 times
off and on i suppose...

Old 01-01-2011, 09:27 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Where I grew up our fifth grade teacher taught us alot about atown we lived close to. Setauket, Long Island. It had a pretty intresting history.
We never did study any state history that I can recall other then learning Albany was the Capitol.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:29 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I was in school, there was almost no study of the history of the state of Wisconsin. In grade school, around 5th grade, there was a monthly reader that came out of the State Historical Society, and our teacher would spend about an hour discussing its extracurricular contents. In High School, the state was covered only anecdotally by the Civics teacher, to the extent that he knew anything about the state in the first place, but no formal study of it from textbooks. No exam ever required any more than the name of the state capital and the year of admission to the union, which was easy because I was in 5th grade in the centennial year.

By contrast, when I got to college in Louisiana, my classmates had a mind-boggling depth of knowledge about the history of the state, could name a lot of ex-governors and what they did, knew exactly where all geographical features were, and could describe war battles in Louisiana in minute detail, which they argued over endlessly.

Of course, when your state's history is populated by people like Huey Long, Jean Lafitte, Andrew Jackson, and Evangeline (never mind that she was fictitious), it's a lot easier for a student to get enthusiastic about it.
I don't recall learning anything about New Jersey in a history class in school. I did, and still do, quite a bit of reading about it in adulthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History