U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM

2,789 posts, read 5,655,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
If I was a trillionairre, I might buy a battleship and do me some pirate hunting.
Is an aircraft carrier good enough?
Aircraft carrier for sale, all bids considered - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,128,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
No engines or working pumps? Mild steel?

Hell no...aircraft carriers are floating parking lots anyway.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 PM

15,400 posts, read 20,323,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
The Battleship Missouri name has been assigned to the seventh Virginia-class attack submarine, due to be commissioned in 2011-SSN-780. The Missouri, since 1998, has been responsible for an average of 12% of Hawaii's tourism. She has always been one of the top-ten most-popular tourist attractions in Hawaii. To many, the USS Missouri is the most famous warship afloat today. With a large number of watertight compartments and tempered steel armor, She is as close to being unsinkable as any ship laid down by man.
What I like about the battleships was the teakwood deck.The teakwood deck was not just for aesthetic beauty, it served a tactical purpose. The wooden overlay kept the ship cooler, it was skid free during battle, and sparks were reduced which could ignite powder magazines.
I served on Destroyers in my time in the U S N. There were no battleships in commision then. We mostly followed the Uss Kittyhawk whereever she went.
Living in Houston Tx I'm about 15 minutes away from the Uss Texas and visit her from time to time. She is still in pretty good shape and its a very interresting ship and tour. They have special "Hardhat" tours that take you to the engineering spaces ( engineroom and boilers).This is the last surviving BB to serve in both WW1 AND ww2.
Great post soupson....Thanx for your contribution!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
No engines or working pumps? Mild steel?

Hell no...aircraft carriers are floating parking lots anyway.
True .. but then again it's not like the battleship would come preloaded with live ammo.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
True .. but then again it's not like the battleship would come preloaded with live ammo.
I'm sure a trillionairre could overcome that problem. No?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I'm sure a trillionairre could overcome that problem. No?
Legally? Doubt it. Although I suppose if you could grease a few hands...

But if you can get the ammo for your battleship, you might also be able to find a few Super Hornets for your aircraft carrier. Or at least a couple of Harriers.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,512,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
The Battleship Missouri name has been assigned to the seventh Virginia-class attack submarine, due to be commissioned in 2011-SSN-780. The Missouri, since 1998, has been responsible for an average of 12% of Hawaii's tourism. She has always been one of the top-ten most-popular tourist attractions in Hawaii. To many, the USS Missouri is the most famous warship afloat today. With a large number of watertight compartments and tempered steel armor, She is as close to being unsinkable as any ship laid down by man.
What I like about the battleships was the teakwood deck.The teakwood deck was not just for aesthetic beauty, it served a tactical purpose. The wooden overlay kept the ship cooler, it was skid free during battle, and sparks were reduced which could ignite powder magazines.
I served on Destroyers in my time in the U S N. There were no battleships in commision then. We mostly followed the Uss Kittyhawk whereever she went.
Living in Houston Tx I'm about 15 minutes away from the Uss Texas and visit her from time to time. She is still in pretty good shape and its a very interresting ship and tour. They have special "Hardhat" tours that take you to the engineering spaces ( engineroom and boilers).This is the last surviving BB to serve in both WW1 AND ww2.

I haven't visited the Texas in many years and am curious as to whether or not they ever replaced the temporary, concrete deck with wood, as it originally had. I know there have been plans to do that, but would like to know if it's actually been done yet.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 AM

3,334 posts, read 5,456,477 times
Stillkit, they replaced the concrete deck with a pine deck as part of the restoration project between 1988 and 1990. Now they are working on dry berthing her because of continued problems with hull leaks.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Legally? Doubt it. Although I suppose if you could grease a few hands...

But if you can get the ammo for your battleship, you might also be able to find a few Super Hornets for your aircraft carrier. Or at least a couple of Harriers.
Flying small airplanes is super easy. Flying jets from aircraft carriers is the most difficult thing that pilots do an a routine basis.

I'd rather just light up some pirates with a 5" AA gun. It is easy enough make ammo though the primers would cost plenty.

Shoot...a trillionairre could buy nukes.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,512,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Stillkit, they replaced the concrete deck with a pine deck as part of the restoration project between 1988 and 1990. Now they are working on dry berthing her because of continued problems with hull leaks.

Thanks. That's good news. I guess I'd better make a trip back down there to see her with her new deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or