Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:49 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,750 times

Advertisements

These are among my favorite naval ships ever built! So much history in them and such impressive service records as well! I can only hope we keep all of them around for a long time to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
This is what happened to the most powerful battleship that ever sailed (another victim of technology-she was downed by airplanes):
Japanese battleship Yamato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5UYt...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opjKJ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljGE2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzx1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8AC-...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8VOA...eature=related

Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
These are among my favorite naval ships ever built! So much history in them and such impressive service records as well! I can only hope we keep all of them around for a long time to come.
I concur and thanx for posting..

Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
The Battleship Missouri name has been assigned to the seventh Virginia-class attack submarine, due to be commissioned in 2011-SSN-780. The Missouri, since 1998, has been responsible for an average of 12% of Hawaii's tourism. She has always been one of the top-ten most-popular tourist attractions in Hawaii. To many, the USS Missouri is the most famous warship afloat today. With a large number of watertight compartments and tempered steel armor, She is as close to being unsinkable as any ship laid down by man.
What I like about the battleships was the teakwood deck.The teakwood deck was not just for aesthetic beauty, it served a tactical purpose. The wooden overlay kept the ship cooler, it was skid free during battle, and sparks were reduced which could ignite powder magazines.
I served on Destroyers in my time in the U S N. There were no battleships in commision then. We mostly followed the Uss Kittyhawk whereever she went.
Living in Houston Tx I'm about 15 minutes away from the Uss Texas and visit her from time to time. She is still in pretty good shape and its a very interresting ship and tour. They have special "Hardhat" tours that take you to the engineering spaces ( engineroom and boilers).This is the last surviving BB to serve in both WW1 AND ww2.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Regarding the Musashi, from Wikipediai:

"Musashi sank after being hit with 17 torpedoes and 19 bombs"

Battleships not only look tough...

Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Reading up on the Prinz Eugan I have to say she was the toughest ship afloat.
We sailed her over to the Bikini nuclear test site, exploded the bomb and she was
still afloat.... The finally had to scuttled her....
All but one of the larger WWII German warships were either torpedoed or scuttled (or both). They were designed to "take a licking and keep on ticking," so to speak, and they all performed quite well.

Bismarck, for example, was still afloat after receiving a massive pounding by the guns of two battleships and two heavy cruisers of the Royal Navy, and her engines were still functioning. The heavy cruiser Dorsetshire finally closed range and fired four torpedoes into Bismarck and, just before that, Kapitan Lindemann gave the order to scuttle the Bismarck.

The only exception was the "pocket battleship" Admiral Scheer, by far the most successful of the three. In 1945, while tied up at a wharf in Kiel, the Scheer was repeatedly struck by aircraft bombs and capsized. The partially-scrapped hull was later buried under rubble when the inner harbor at Kiel was filled, where it remains to this day.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
The Battleship Missouri name has been assigned to the seventh Virginia-class attack submarine, due to be commissioned in 2011-SSN-780. The Missouri, since 1998, has been responsible for an average of 12% of Hawaii's tourism. She has always been one of the top-ten most-popular tourist attractions in Hawaii. To many, the USS Missouri is the most famous warship afloat today. With a large number of watertight compartments and tempered steel armor, She is as close to being unsinkable as any ship laid down by man.
What I like about the battleships was the teakwood deck.The teakwood deck was not just for aesthetic beauty, it served a tactical purpose. The wooden overlay kept the ship cooler, it was skid free during battle, and sparks were reduced which could ignite powder magazines.
I served on Destroyers in my time in the U S N. There were no battleships in commision then. We mostly followed the Uss Kittyhawk whereever she went.
Living in Houston Tx I'm about 15 minutes away from the Uss Texas and visit her from time to time. She is still in pretty good shape and its a very interresting ship and tour. They have special "Hardhat" tours that take you to the engineering spaces ( engineroom and boilers).This is the last surviving BB to serve in both WW1 AND ww2.
Nice photo...thank you. But molybdenum alloy is much tougher than tempered steel. Both Germany and Russia started buying molybdenum, in quantity, in 1925 as they prepared to kill one another. They were the first mass purchasers of what has been called "gray gold" or "molly be damned".

Fortunately for America, the worlds two largest molybdenum mines are in...America.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
With a large number of watertight compartments and tempered steel armor, She is as close to being unsinkable as any ship laid down by man.
Note my earlier entry regarding the larger German warships of WWII.

-- Nighteyes

Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Nice pic of the Texas!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM

If I was a trillionairre, I might buy a battleship and do me some pirate hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History