Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times

Advertisements

I found crourt records that document the settlement of New York from Fort Oraange and Rennserwyck to Long Island. The langauge of the documents move from English translation of Dutch records to the formal Old English.

Most of the records I have a basic understanding. But here is one word that drives me crazy. It may have do with title and it may just be a badly mispelled word. The word in question is highlighted in the following setence. Help is appreciated.. ~ Thanks.

A Warrant directed to M" Jacques Coutillean, or any others concerned in Pennoyers Land, to mak* out tlieire Rights and Title thereunto at y^ Assizes. (I saw this word spelled as tlie too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I found crourt records that document the settlement of New York from Fort Oraange and Rennserwyck to Long Island. The langauge of the documents move from English translation of Dutch records to the formal Old English.

Most of the records I have a basic understanding. But here is one word that drives me crazy. It may have do with title and it may just be a badly mispelled word. The word in question is highlighted in the following setence. Help is appreciated.. ~ Thanks.

A Warrant directed to M" Jacques Coutillean, or any others concerned in Pennoyers Land, to mak* out tlieire Rights and Title thereunto at y^ Assizes. (I saw this word spelled as tlie too)

I looked at at least a dozen example I found via Google, and in each case it seems to be used as "their" as far as I can make out. But the spelling overall in these documents is quite bizarre.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Is this what you're looking at? Full text of "Documents relative to the colonial history of the state of New York"

If so, it looks like a simple OCR error (optical character recognition) in the transcription. If you look at the actual document (in PDF: Documents relative to the colonial history of the state of New York : Brodhead, John Romeyn, 1814-1873 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive ) it clearly says "theire" which is still a misspelling of "their" but could just be a typo. I was going to point out that spelling in the US wasn't completely standardized until 1828 when Noah Webster's dictionary was first published so it's understandable that 17th century documents have "misspellings". But the quote is from the index and apparently this was published in 1853?

Also, Old English died out in the 12th century so it has nothing to do with this.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
How about "theire" (their)? In longhand, the lower case H could have looked like L-I with a spurius and perhaps inadvertent dot.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The langauge of the documents move from English translation of Dutch records to the formal Old English.
Why would they translate the record from Dutch to Old English? Old English pretty much died out by the 13th century.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I was tired when I wrote that, but it is no particular excuse for ignorance. The English = no offense intended - did make some gross errors when translating the mother tongue of the Dutch to English. I incorrectly call the English language of the 17th century old English as opposed to how i hear the royals speak today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History