U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,143,037 times

Advertisements

This group was like no other. I have been fascinated by them though I am usually fascinated by something.

As I recall, their demise occurred on Friday the 13th when the King of France had his military execute as many Knights as possible. Reasons being:
1) He had financial problems due to his penchant for war.
2) He owed a lot to the Knights Templar
3) The Knights owned a lot of gold, treasure and real estate. He hoped to seize their gold and treasure.

So by killing them, he was solving a few problems.

There were plenty of rumors, this way and that, about Templar initiations and rituals. Never seen proof but I have seen plenty of arguments pro and con. Right now...they are nothing more than rumors. Still...the King listed these accusations as being truisms and a reason for killing them.

I am admittedly a little rusty at the moment though some memories may return.

Last edited by JohnHAdams; 02-25-2011 at 07:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 AM

2,226 posts, read 4,649,017 times
The Templars were a powerful military order, but there were many other orders.
The reason why they are so famous among esoterical crowds dates back to the XIXth Century.
The supposed discovery of the Templar Treasure by the priest from Rennes-Le Chateau, Berenger Saunier, gave rise to a particular kind of literature that has arrived to the present day.
The Templar legend is mostly crock.
Most of what we know about Templars is false information spreaded by the Pope and the King of France, they did the same with the Cathars.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Wikipedia has a pretty good page on the Templars.

If I had to sum it up with a sentence, I would say this.
The King of France destroyed them because he owed them, and others, a lot of money...and they had a lot of money.

The Templars were never the same after suffering defeat to Saladin.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 AM

3,726 posts, read 5,568,938 times
When Philip IV dealt his blow on October 13, 1307, it certainly broke much of the power of the order and weakened them, but it did not totally eliminate them. Philip was deeply in debt to them, they had riches that he coveted, and he feared and was jealous of their power and influence. There are some interesting conspiracy theories about the order. Todays Masons are said to be direct descendants of the Knights Templar. The Friday the 13th coup is sometimes said to be the source of the unlucky day myth, although this is disputed by some historians.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 AM

There was a 400 year gap in between the Templar and the Masons. I also fail to see over riding similarities.

A lot of conspiracy theories are just that. Unless you are talking about Washington D.C. Then it is called........policy.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 PM

14,131 posts, read 28,359,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
There was a 400 year gap in between the Templar and the Masons.
Have any Templar remains been found in reasonably good shape? I'd be interested in knowing which y-dna haplogroups turn up amongst them.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 AM

Masons don't have anything to do with Templars. Cathars have no relationship whatsoever with Templars. The Templar's Treasure is just a figment, a bunch of romantic B.S.

Templars were annihilated in France, not in Scotland, not in Spain, etc. In most cases, Templars all around Europe adopted other Monastic Orders and continued their task, so there's no "hidden treasure".

Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,493,473 times
The problem the Templars had was that after so long of never surrendering they surrendered which broke their mystique and their support from the common people. Before that they were too popular for anyone to try to stand against them, but after that they were vulnerable.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM

504 posts, read 1,397,449 times
There was a good documentary about The Templars on either The Discovery Channel or The History Channel (can't remember which one). They conjectured that surviving Templars fled to Switzerland and formed what would become the strong banking system in that country. It's been a while since I've seen it. You might be interested in watching it if you can find it.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 AM

Remaining Templars took shelter in Scotland and Aragon, not in Switzerland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or