Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times

Advertisements

Inspired by the Lexus thread. But it's a little less crazy

As is well known, the the 13th century the Mongols tried to invade Japan but most of their fleet was destroyed in a typhoon. (Not all natural disasters are bad, it seems). I'm wondering what would have happened without the typhoon. The Samurai were fierce warriors and the Mongols would have been out of their element on the mountainous island. Still, Mongols were practically undefeated (and arguably undefeatable) during that time. While an individual Mongol soldier was not a match for a Samurai, the Mongol army was a more disciplined and cohesive unit, making the whole greater than the sum of its parts. My bet is on the Mongols. Anyone disagree?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
The Samurai would run over the Mongols with their Lexus.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:54 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I don't know enough to have a valid opinion on the matter, but can you tell us the approximate size of the Mongol army which was aboard the ships? And how did that compare with the number of Samurai warriors in Japan? And could the Samurai have been able to concentrate their forces in enough time to confront the Mongols effectively? If the Samurai had come at the Mongols piecemeal, it would have been an advantage for the Mongols, it seems to me.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Who really knows for sure. Even today we have little idea od what happens ;look at Iraq casualtiy estimate pre invasions.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
... look at Iraq casualtiy estimate pre invasions.
Even better, look at the Iraq casualties that occurred after the "Mission Accomplished" celebration aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln...

Just food for thought,

-- Nighteyes -- who ALWAYS (a) supports the troops without condition, and (b) questions the leaders without mercy

Old 03-22-2011, 01:07 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
Which invasion are you referring to? The Mongols attempted to invade Japan two times and twice their fleet was destroyed by a storm each time. However, on the second invasion, the Mongols were actually loosing pretty badly on land. The Japanese were heavily outnumbered but they were still putting some pretty bad dents into the Mongol force. I actually think the Japanese would have repelled the Mongolian troops.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
The Japanese were heavily outnumbered but they were still putting some pretty bad dents into the Mongol force. I actually think the Japanese would have repelled the Mongolian troops.
I would think that Japanese terrain was very unsuited to the traditional Mongol style of warfare, horse archers and such.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Which invasion are you referring to? The Mongols attempted to invade Japan two times and twice their fleet was destroyed by a storm each time. However, on the second invasion, the Mongols were actually loosing pretty badly on land. The Japanese were heavily outnumbered but they were still putting some pretty bad dents into the Mongol force. I actually think the Japanese would have repelled the Mongolian troops.
If the Mongol army weathered a typhoon during their voyage, they may not have been in the tip top shape to fight.

Secondly, I believe that the records of that engagement were written by the Japanese and may not have been completely balanced. In fact, the true numbers of the Mongols were frequently overestimated by their enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I would think that Japanese terrain was very unsuited to the traditional Mongol style of warfare, horse archers and such.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History