Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 07:14 PM

829 posts, read 2,956,638 times

Advertisements

At 1:10 1:26sh, and 1:56 what is that accent? It is something you used to hear a while ago more, but you dont hear it much anymore...I thought maybe an upstate new york, but im not sure...I know the clips for that person are short, but its the only I could find...It is from the movie higher learning. It may be also what the person in the other thread was trying to talk about with the 50, 60s accent?

YouTube - Higher Learning (1995) Trailer
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Sorry, I couldn't figure out which actor you are talking about. Do you know the actor's name? I'd start with that for his own regional dialect. Then find out what character he is playing and where that character is supposed to be from.

But, like I said, I'd need to hear a LOT more. An more info? Longer clips of the accent in question?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Actors almost never reflect genuine accents, unless they are playing the part of a person living in the same place they come from. And often, even then, they have had their original accent beaten out of them in acting school, and have to try to reacquire. Even actors from the south often have fakey sounding southern accents, because they are directed to over-do something they've learned not to do. Either that, or a Georgia-raised actor will play in a New Orleans picture, and nobody cares that he's not even close.

So what you see in this clip could very possibly be an actor from Region A, and trying to do an accent from Region B, and getting it somewhere in between.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:38 PM

I was talking about the skinhead who was talking in there....
The one asking Reme if he was concerned with the future...etc...

Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actors almost never reflect genuine accents, unless they are playing the part of a person living in the same place they come from. And often, even then, they have had their original accent beaten out of them in acting school, and have to try to reacquire. Even actors from the south often have fakey sounding southern accents, because they are directed to over-do something they've learned not to do. Either that, or a Georgia-raised actor will play in a New Orleans picture, and nobody cares that he's not even close.

So what you see in this clip could very possibly be an actor from Region A, and trying to do an accent from Region B, and getting it somewhere in between.
Unless you're Kevin Costner.

Sorry, couldn't tell on the original question.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
I was talking about the skinhead who was talking in there....
The one asking Reme if he was concerned with the future...etc...
I had to look up some longer clips on youtube but, in my very unscientific opinion, that's a working class native Southern Cali white person accent.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
I had to look up some longer clips on youtube but, in my very unscientific opinion, that's a working class native Southern Cali white person accent.
Is that right? I am surprised to hear that...Is there a certain area of socal that has that because im pretty familiar with socal. Thanks for the response.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
that's a working class native Southern Cali white person accent.
There is no such thing. Sorry. (A beach dialect is different from a San Berdu dialect is different from a S.F. Valley dialect. And Californian dialects generally aren't classified by "class".) But I like that you took a stab at it. I'd love to know how you reached your conclusion especially if the NY in TDNY stands for New York. I'm always interested in how Californian dialects are perceived in other parts of the country.

(Linguist. And a native of Southern CaliFORNIA. We never say Cali. Ever. Just in case you wander onto the L.A. forum I don't want you getting blasted out of the water.)

OP: Do you know the actor's name?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-12-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 05:02 AM

No i dont...hes just got that older type of gruff accent that i know was popular a while ago. Just wish I could figure out where it is from.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 AM

Guess his name is Cole Hauser, and it says he was born in Santa Barbara...I still would like to know the originality of that kind of accent, because I dont believe its a accent of that region...it may be made up by him, but it still orginiated from somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History