Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times

Advertisements

Has anyone read "The Great Stagnation" by Tyler Cowen? His thesis is that before about 1970 we've consumed most of the "low hanging fruit" that has been driving force behind the rapid growth of our economy since the Civil War. The returns on innovation and investments in human capital have slowed. In short, the reasons for our stagnation are economic, not political.

A lot of the troubles come from us failing to grasp or acknowledge this reality. For example, we borrow money with the expectation that a high rate of growth will make up for the debts (both public and private). But the growth rate is just not there. Politicians, to keep their message optimistic, promise more and more stuff (in the form of both tax cuts and spending). But this optimism is overstated. It isn't anyone's fault, necessarily. It is just that our economic reality is different from that of the previous generation.

This stagnation is not just affecting us. It applies to all the developed countries. On the other hand, developing countries like China are, for the time being, unaffected. They still have quite a few long hanging fruit left to pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Has anyone read "The Great Stagnation" by Tyler Cowen? His thesis is that before about 1970 we've consumed most of the "low hanging fruit" that has been driving force behind the rapid growth of our economy since the Civil War. The returns on innovation and investments in human capital have slowed. In short, the reasons for our stagnation are economic, not political.

A lot of the troubles come from us failing to grasp or acknowledge this reality. For example, we borrow money with the expectation that a high rate of growth will make up for the debts (both public and private). But the growth rate is just not there. Politicians, to keep their message optimistic, promise more and more stuff (in the form of both tax cuts and spending). But this optimism is overstated. It isn't anyone's fault, necessarily. It is just that our economic reality is different from that of the previous generation.

This stagnation is not just affecting us. It applies to all the developed countries. On the other hand, developing countries like China are, for the time being, unaffected. They still have quite a few long hanging fruit left to pick.

Well put.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael3 View Post
A good place to research more on this subject would be the Majestic 12 videos on you tube.
I have no idea about extra terrestrial life on other planets. I just can't get into ET's on earth.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times
Here is another misconception.
America is not falling, it just happens that America is not the only superpower.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Here is another misconception.
America is not falling, it just happens that America is not the only superpower.
I don't know what you are on but I want some.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times
America started to be a great superpower when Japan, Europe and China were utterly destroyed and USSR was a very inefficient empire.

Now all those countries are back in their feet, some, as China, acting as the workshop of all industrial countries.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I have been considering a book dealing with America's precipitous fall from #1 in almost everything to where we are now. 1960 seems to be a good starting point.

These are the benchmark events that I am considering:
1) Kennedy assassination
2) Vietnam
3) Complete removal from the gold standard under Nixon. Inflation has been horrendous since then.
4) Reaganomics
5) Clintonomics
6) Bushbarian Reign of Terror
7) Financial collapse of 2008
8) 9/11

I realize these ideas need to be fleshed out but few want to read a gargantuan post.
Each and every one of the subjects contains enough change to be a book in itself - how could you possibly write on all the subjects in one book.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Each and every one of the subjects contains enough change to be a book in itself - how could you possibly write on all the subjects in one book.

One can write as little or as much as they want. The intent behind the thread was to fish for more crucial events.

Such as the Patriot Act and the rise of the electronic police state.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:42 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
One can write as little or as much as they want. The intent behind the thread was to fish for more crucial events.

Such as the Patriot Act and the rise of the electronic police state.
Okay let me see if I can add some ideas

erosion of the middle class
the rise and fall of unions
divided politics
red light camera districts
The community reinvestment act and how it relates to the housing collapse

Hopefully one will give you an idea

Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
The opening of the first online discussion forum.

That's my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History