U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,254,833 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is Indian of Jewish descendant. His family and community practice endogamy but here is the kicker, they practice Christianity with jewish influences. The story goes that their ancestors came from the Middle East and landed on the coast of Kerala, India where the Hindu King granted them rights and privileges equivalent to high caste hindus. This group are known as the Knanaya Catholics/Jacobites. It seems these Jews converted to Christianity back in the Middle East before leaving for trade. What is fascinating to me is that it seems Jesus did really exist and his msg had a profound impact on the people of that era.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 03:42 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,787,410 times
Are they Ashkenazi or Semitic?

Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 AM

4,454 posts, read 6,145,810 times
Well I hear Jews moved to INdia an few thousand years ago. St Thomas who was one of the first christian missionary went to India and did preach to the Jewish communities there.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 PM

18,591 posts, read 17,461,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I have a friend who is Indian of Jewish descendant. His family and community practice endogamy but here is the kicker, they practice Christianity with jewish influences. The story goes that their ancestors came from the Middle East and landed on the coast of Kerala, India where the Hindu King granted them rights and privileges equivalent to high caste hindus. This group are known as the Knanaya Catholics/Jacobites. It seems these Jews converted to Christianity back in the Middle East before leaving for trade. What is fascinating to me is that it seems Jesus did really exist and his msg had a profound impact on the people of that era.
I met a beautiful Indian Israeli girl in NYC a few years ago. From my interaction with her I got the impression they were Jews through and through.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:28 PM

17,444 posts, read 25,492,637 times
Quote:
More commonly known as "Thomas Christians", since according to legend St. Thomas came to Kerala and converted people to Christianity. In reality the Thomas Christians migrated from the Middle East as you state.

India did have Jews ; most left after independence and went to Israel or Britain, despite very little antisemitism in Indian society except from Islamists.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:49 AM

9,341 posts, read 26,890,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Are they Ashkenazi or Semitic?
Ashkenazi (central and eastern European) Jews, as well as Sephardi (Spanish and Portuguese) Jews and Mizrachi (North African and Middle Eastern) Jews, are west Asian Semites.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 PM

8,874 posts, read 11,328,977 times
there are at least three different groups of Indian Jews. The calcutta community, mostly Iraqi Jews who moved in India in the 19th c (IIUC). The bombay (?) community mostly Portugese who came after the inquisition. And the "black jews" whose origins are shrouded in legend. I would be wary of any undocumented origin tales.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 26,890,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
there are at least three different groups of Indian Jews.
According to Kulanu Communities: India Index there are more than three: Bene Ephraim, Bene Israel, Bnei Menashe, Cochini and Pathans/Pashtuns/Pakhtuns (Afridi) of India.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 AM

40,051 posts, read 31,803,269 times
Quote:
And the conclusion is that Jesus really existed? That's some very interesting logic.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 AM

8,874 posts, read 11,328,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post

Yeah, i forgot (how could I?) the bene Israel.

The pashtuns, however, unlike many "lost tribes" deny the Jewish connection for the most part. Whether they are being more realistic about culture than the other lost tribes are (they may be - there ARE coincidences in culture, not to mention cultural influences that pass and do not indicate common origin) or whether its their loyalty to Islam at work, I would suggest letting them be. Do we REALLY want to claim Mullah Omar as a landsman? (even if we also got Hamid Kharzai and half of Abdullah Abdullah?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History