Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

I watched an three hour documentary over the weekend about the ''Muslim Golden Age'' (750's - 1250's) to which they discovered and transcribed all the ancient greek works e.g. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Hippocrates etc. on their new creation ''paper'' in which europeans would later discover and help foster in the ''Renassance'' during the middle ages.

So where did the muslims find these hidden ancient works that even the early middle age europeans had no knowledge about? Is it possible that Alexander the Great and the subsequent greek Seleucid Empire (312 b.c. - 63 b.c.) brought those works with them out to babylon etc. to which the muslims would eventually discover in that territory? Possibly somewhere in Anatolia when the Seljuk Turks conquered it from the greek Byzantines in the early 1100's?

Anyway it was really surprising to find out that they and not europeans had saved all those ancient greek works although i thought that the byzantines had done so as well.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 05-25-2011 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I watched an three hour documentary over the weekend about the ''Muslim Golden Age'' (750's - 1250's) to which they discovered and transcribed all the ancient greek works e.g. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Hippocrates etc. on their new creation ''paper'' in which europeans would later discover and help foster in the ''Renassance'' during the middle ages.

So where did the muslims find these hidden ancient works that even the early middle age europeans had no knowledge about? Is it possible that Alexander the Great and the subsequent greek Seleucid Empire (312 b.c. - 63 b.c.) brought those works with them out to babylon etc. to which the muslims would eventually discover in that territory? Possibly somewhere in Anatolia when the Seljuk Turks conquered it from the greek Byzantines in the early 1100's?

Anyway it was really surprising to find out that they and not europeans had saved all those ancient greek works although i thought that the byzantines had done so as well.
The Muslims conquered Egypt, which was a center of Greek and Roman learning, early on and Muslim scholars were interested in it. It is not as though the Christians did not have access to these things, but rather early Christian philosphers like St. Augustine had said that Greek and Roman learning was unimportant relative to spiritual matters and possibly dangerous. As a result a fair amount of classical work was learning was ignored, and rising illiteracy rates in Europe likely did not help the problem. It wasn't until more liberal thinkers like St. Thomas Aquinas that classical learning became important again in Europe.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:34 PM

200 posts, read 508,814 times
6 Foot 3,

This may be the same program you saw, but last evening our local PBS station featured, Cities of Light: The Rise and Fall of Islam in Spain. It wasn't always sweetness and light under the Muslims in Spain, but there were periods of remarkable harmony between the three religions, especially under the leadership of Abdur Rahman III. Under his rule, an unusual tolerance was shown, where scholarship was encouraged and a high level of learning was attained. During that time, Jewish scholars familiar with ancient languages translated many Greek manuscripts.

Of course, all of this came apart after the death of Rahman and the various factions struggled for control of Spain. One of the best books on Islamic Spain that I have read is The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance by Maria Rosa Menacol.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The Muslims conquered Egypt, which was a center of Greek and Roman learning, early on and Muslim scholars were interested in it. It is not as though the Christians did not have access to these things, but rather early Christian philosphers like St. Augustine had said that Greek and Roman learning was unimportant relative to spiritual matters and possibly dangerous. As a result a fair amount of classical work was learning was ignored, and rising illiteracy rates in Europe likely did not help the problem. It wasn't until more liberal thinkers like St. Thomas Aquinas that classical learning became important again in Europe.
Oh i should have thought about Alexandria as i can't believe i let that get by me and yeap that makes perfect sense as they were very hellenized indeed now that you brought that to my attention.

You rock Randomstudent

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 05-26-2011 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenes2 View Post
6 Foot 3,

This may be the same program you saw, but last evening our local PBS station featured, Cities of Light: The Rise and Fall of Islam in Spain. It wasn't always sweetness and light under the Muslims in Spain, but there were periods of remarkable harmony between the three religions, especially under the leadership of Abdur Rahman III. Under his rule, an unusual tolerance was shown, where scholarship was encouraged and a high level of learning was attained. During that time, Jewish scholars familiar with ancient languages translated many Greek manuscripts.

Of course, all of this came apart after the death of Rahman and the various factions struggled for control of Spain. One of the best books on Islamic Spain that I have read is The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance by Maria Rosa Menacol.
I don't recall the exact name of the show as it was a three part (three hour) show and yes they did mention the iberian muslim founding city of Cordoba and how it was the most advanced city in western europe during the dark ages (something i also reciently learned) although it didn't mention about the jews there transcribing the greek ancient manuscripts and so i appreciate the info from your posting Diogenes2

Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
Here's the one that I enjoyed: When the Moors Ruled in Europe.

I found it all interesting too, especially how it has been omitted for so long.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alleyne View Post
Here's the one that I enjoyed: When the Moors Ruled in Europe.

I found it all interesting too, especially how it has been omitted for so long.
Thanks for the posted link David as i'll check it out later on today.

Anyway that was a really good show that diogene's reported ''Cities of Light, Rise and Fall of Islam'' that i watched on youtube as i now understand that they transcribed the ancient Greek works with their interactions with Byzantine scholars and ambassadors during the 8th and 9th centuries and preserved them for Western Europe when the christians conquered the peninsula later during the 14th and 15th centuries. I now have my question answered and thanks again to those who posted!

Sidenote observation: How odd that when muslim Spain (Al-Andulas) was finally conquered and united by king Ferdinand and queen Isabella that it would usher in (IMO) the Spanish ''dark ages'' over the coming centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History