Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times

Advertisements

i watched this documentary about the 2nd world war called ww2 in hd, its gotta be one of the best documentaries i have seen in a long time

YouTube - ‪WWII in HD Episode 1 "Darkness Falls" (1/5)‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 02:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Those were excellent. The use of real footage showed it in terms of human cost quite well. I wish Dish would give us another free month of the military channel where they moved all the good shows and rerun it since the dvr ate some of them when I filled it up.

There is also a marvelous Ken Burns documentary called "The War" which follows the boys of three small towns as their citizens went to war. It has interviews and film and letters of survivors, but of those who didn't come back and those who didn't have their loved ones return. The descriptions, especially of the island fighting, is especially graphic. There is an interesting tidbit where the one man from the Minnesota town at the end of the war caputred some Germans in US uniforms. One, in perfect American accent, asked where he was from, and could describe where all the small details around the town were. No, he'd not ever been there, but has been trained as "occupation" troops for the area when Hiter conqured it. It shook them up quite a bit that the German's had such definitive, if unlikely, plans. Ultimately, its not a comprehensive documentary, but it does caputure what "the war" did to us and our parents and why some of our fathers would never talk about it.

As for comprehensive, World at War has to be the best I've ever seen. It didn't have all the film that later was found and released, but it dealt with it as it was seen in the time. The narration is stark and to the point and the essence of it is the pictures. "Genocide", the episode about the Holocaust, is one of the most telling short documentaries I've ever seen of the scope and intent, and "Occupation" lets you into the lives of those living under one in terms sparce but quite personal.

A recent documentary on the History channel I'd reccomend to everyone who wants to see how things like Nazi German can happen if Third Reich:the Rise and Third Reich:the Fall. Its how the German people gave their culture and government to the paranoia and how it crumbled in the end. It, however, has sobering moments for those who like to think in absolute terms where it adds "If you were a German citizen in xxxx, and ... about the perception of the world for the average person as a balance. This has been discussed elsewhere and teachers frequently comment how most documentaries put the class to sleep but this one keeps them glued. It's not just how one dictator took power but how dictators can when people don't notice or don't want to before the day its too late.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I haven't checked out WW2 in HD yet. But I will. Thanks.

But it's hard to beat "World at War" as the poster above indicates, and I would say that's the definitive WW2 documentary. The only fault I would say is, because it's a BBC documentary, it has a slight british slant to it and although it does a pretty well job of covering the eastern front and the pacific theather, it could be improved in that regards.

I just finished the last volume of the Ken Burns series noted above and though that was also excellent although it's purely a documentery from only the US perspective of the war (as was intended by the creator).

Old 06-12-2011, 10:33 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
The more I am watching it ( again) the more I'd say that
"The Unknown War" is one of the best documentaries ever.
The unforgettable images, the human acpect of the war plus wonderful narration.
A great story told with the help of war footage - as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

These are some episodes from the movie, in no particular order

YouTube - ‪The Unknown War - The Siege of Leningrad - 03/05‬‏

YouTube - ‪The Unknown War - Liberation of the Ukraine 05/05‬‏

YouTube - ‪The Unknown War - The Battle of Berlin 03/05‬‏

Last edited by erasure; 06-12-2011 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
One more;

YouTube - ‪The Unknown War - The Liberation of Belorussia 01/05‬‏

Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
The victor writes the history.

Whether it's true or not is debatable.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
WW2 in HD is great to watch for anyone who has seen a lot of other documentaries as there is so much never before seen footage in it. Same thing goes for WW2 in Color that is similar.

Another excellent piece that was already mentioned is the Third Reich: Rise and Fall that also included a ton of information on what was happening within the Third Reich as well as a lot of previously unseen footage.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Unless you are quite elderly or else a serious WWII history buff the series will not be familiar to you, but at the time "Victory at Sea" was quite noteworthy. Now almost 60 years old, it was broadcast in 26 30 minute episodes and won several awards. The musical score and Leonard Graves narration is memorable.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Unless you are quite elderly or else a serious WWII history buff the series will not be familiar to you, but at the time "Victory at Sea" was quite noteworthy. Now almost 60 years old, it was broadcast in 26 30 minute episodes and won several awards. The musical score and Leonard Graves narration is memorable.
Ah, Victory at Sea. My dad is a major history buff, particularly WW2 and we used to watch the Victory at Sea marathons when they were on. The opening score is unmistakable. I honestly don't think it is as well done as more recent documentaries on the war, but anyone who likes WW2 should check it out.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The victor writes the history.

Whether it's true or not is debatable.
What are you disputing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History