Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:37 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Good grief, what an exaggerated sense of personal violation!! What we routinely go through at airports is hardly torture or humiliation. You go ahead and die on your airplane and welcome to it, I like life and have no problem with security searches.

This is still in the she said/they said stage. Facts not definitely established.

I am 73 and have travelled thousands of miles in a wheelchair with special underwear, changed flights multiple times, been searched repeated in various countries and I have encountered no rudeness, no inappropriate invasiveness. None of this searchng has been in the U.S., so perhaps U.S. security personnel are not as polite and well-trained as the people I have encountered abroad.

If this really happened then right then and there any parent would certainly immediately demand the police come, register a detailed complaint against the employee, etc. I've heard of an American mother who screamed "Stop molesting my child," simply because the waiter patted the kid on the head and shoulder and offered to show him the tank of live fish in the middle of the restaurant only a few feet from the table.

Some Americans get their jollies with this "violation" sh*t.
But, don't you think all this increasingly intrusive airport security is sort of like closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out? No terrorist worthy of the name would spend his limited time and resources trying to duplicate what was already done on 9/11. That's a performance they can't top.

So, we acquiesce to the searches and patdowns, the inconveniences and rules, just to feel "safe" on an airplane (you're not), while other more lucrative targets are wide open. Sports venues, shopping malls, Las Vegas, schools, trains and busses. They're all susceptible to attack at any time, yet we never give going to one of those places a second thought because we have not yet been conditioned to think of them as places of danger and vulnerability.

What happens when they inevitably do attack one of those other targets? Will you submit to a patdown before entering a shopping mall or boarding a bus? Will you think searching your kids each morning before school is a good idea? Will you willingly conform to new rules which prevent you parking with half a mile of a sports complex out of fear of a car bomb?

The point is, how much are we willing to accept? Where's the stopping point? At what place does security and safety go beyond the point of actually destroying the liberty and freedom we're supposedly fighting for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
...The point is, how much are we willing to accept? Where's the stopping point? At what place does security and safety go beyond the point of actually destroying the liberty and freedom we're supposedly fighting for?
In no way do I see security checks as "destroying the liberty and freedom we're supposedly fighting for." The complaints are puerile whining as far as I am concerned.

My liberty and freedom would feel destroyed by some jackass taking my photo with his cell phone while I am passing through airport security, and then putting it on YouTube for some reason. But Americans don't seem to question that kind of egregious misconduct at all....which strongly inclines me to believe that much of the complaining about the invasiveness of airport security is pure lunatic fringe nut jobbery.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The central issue is not national security and what constitutes reasonable surveillance.

It is the willingness of the general public to tolerate arbitrary edicts from the central authority without a whimper of protest, nor even a polite request to explain how the procedures further the cause of security.

When America goes to war, which is often, it us usually justified by an accusation that the enemy nation has enforced policy that is essentially equivalent to the U. S. Patriot Act.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
In no way do I see security checks as "destroying the liberty and freedom we're supposedly fighting for." The complaints are puerile whining as far as I am concerned.

My liberty and freedom would feel destroyed by some jackass taking my photo with his cell phone while I am passing through airport security, and then putting it on YouTube for some reason. But Americans don't seem to question that kind of egregious misconduct at all....which strongly inclines me to believe that much of the complaining about the invasiveness of airport security is pure lunatic fringe nut jobbery.

But, that guy taking your picture isn't backed up by the coercive power of government. The TSA is. That's a critical difference.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:

My liberty and freedom would feel destroyed by some jackass taking my photo with his cell phone while I am passing through airport security, and then putting it on YouTube for some reason. .
I would not want that either, but I'm unaware of any doctrine, law or tradition in America which holds that you carry some right to a privacy bubble while you are out in public. I'm sure that an intoxicated person stopped on the road by the police, would vastly prefer that the incident isn't being captured on videotape, but I do not see that such a thing could be interpreted as a violation of privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History