Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 PM

49 posts, read 67,421 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I have some question, What is the relationship between First Nation and European Canadian in Canada. I will also ask, do Whites in Canada get intermarried with Native people in Canada. I want to know, thanks. Another question I have do, Native Indians in United States know much about Native Indians in Canada, what is the relationship between the two groups or how well did they know each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentmassey View Post
Another question I have do, Native Indians in United States know much about Native Indians in Canada, what is the relationship between the two groups or how well did they know each other.
Well the Apache and Navajo came down from what's now Canada just a few hundred years ago. I recall a story about a member of one of those tribes who was at an event like the worlds fair, encountered a member of an Athabascan tribe from Canada, and was amazed to discover they could actually understand each other's language. I may have screwed up details of the story, but you get the idea.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,940,118 times
Quote:
Hi guys I have some question, What is the relationship between First Nation and European Canadian in Canada. I will also ask, do Whites in Canada get intermarried with Native people in Canada. I want to know, thanks. Another question I have do, Native Indians in United States know much about Native Indians in Canada, what is the relationship between the two groups or how well did they know each other.
The relationship between First Nations and European Canadians is somewhat dependent on the region. It can vary from extremely strained to fairly amicable.

And yes, whites and natives do intermarry. I have Blackfoot second cousins. In fact, they've been intermarrying for so long that an entirely new people was created (Metis).

I can only speak on the relationships between American and Canadian natives from plains tribes, as I don't really know any from other regions. But, generally speaking, tribal territories and boundaries had nothing to do with the 49th parallel, so quite a few ended up with their traditional territory split up between the two countries.

The Blackfoot have reserves on both sides of the border, and pretty well come and go as they please. The Sioux, as well have reserves on both sides, though I don't know their border arrangements. I believe there are Plains Cree reservations in the US too, but I'm not 100% certain.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Isn't Canada noted for it's Metis? And Louis Riel and the Metis rebellion against the Brits?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
The relationship between First Nations and European Canadians is somewhat dependent on the region. It can vary from extremely strained to fairly amicable.

And yes, whites and natives do intermarry. I have Blackfoot second cousins. In fact, they've been intermarrying for so long that an entirely new people was created (Metis).

I can only speak on the relationships between American and Canadian natives from plains tribes, as I don't really know any from other regions. But, generally speaking, tribal territories and boundaries had nothing to do with the 49th parallel, so quite a few ended up with their traditional territory split up between the two countries.

The Blackfoot have reserves on both sides of the border, and pretty well come and go as they please. The Sioux, as well have reserves on both sides, though I don't know their border arrangements. I believe there are Plains Cree reservations in the US too, but I'm not 100% certain.
I am not talking about the Metis, I am talking about modern day Canada, 19thand early 20 th century. Also, what is the relationship between Native Indians that lived in eastern North America and Western North America.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Also, what is the relationship between Native Indians that lived in eastern North America and Western North America.
[This may initially seem like a flippant answer, but it is not meant to be]

It would be about the same as the relationship between the Portugese and the Slavs, or the relationship between the Italians and the Scandanavians. In other words you're asking about the relationships between extremely diverse people and cultures that are very far apart.

-- Nighteyes

Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,940,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Isn't Canada noted for it's Metis? And Louis Riel and the Metis rebellion against the Brits?
The Metis rebellion was against the Canadian gov't in 1885, not the British, but aside from that detail, you're correct. Riel is one of the most polarizing figures in Canadian History.

Quote:
I am not talking about the Metis, I am talking about modern day Canada, 19thand early 20 th century. Also, what is the relationship between Native Indians that lived in eastern North America and Western North America.
All of my post was regarding modern day Canada. My point was that intermarriage between first nations and whites has never that uncommon, despite the occasional outbreak of racial hostility and opposition to it. This holds especially true in the north where lifestyles are more akin to each other (and there are less options to choose from).

And, to talk about first nations in modern day Canada is to include the Metis. They're not a historical footnote.

As for relations between eastern and western tribes, historically, I'd have to agree with Nighteyes. As for the relationship between them currently, it seems to me that they're very willing to support each other in times of crisis (or at least the more politically motivated are). As for day to day life, those near to me seem pretty disinterested in what's happening out east.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
The Metis rebellion was against the Canadian gov't in 1885, not the British, but aside from that detail, you're correct. Riel is one of the most polarizing figures in Canadian History.

All of my post was regarding modern day Canada. My point was that intermarriage between first nations and whites has never that uncommon, despite the occasional outbreak of racial hostility and opposition to it. This holds especially true in the north where lifestyles are more akin to each other (and there are less options to choose from).

And, to talk about first nations in modern day Canada is to include the Metis. They're not a historical footnote.

As for relations between eastern and western tribes, historically, I'd have to agree with Nighteyes. As for the relationship between them currently, it seems to me that they're very willing to support each other in times of crisis (or at least the more politically motivated are). As for day to day life, those near to me seem pretty disinterested in what's happening out east.
First of all, I don't think you understand what am saying, what I mean't is the relationship between East Coast First Nation and West Coast Nation, including East Coast usa and West Coast usa. That what I mean't Nighthorse did'nt understand what am saying. Thanks very much for your information.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
... Nighthorse did'nt understand what am saying.
I understand perfectly, and my answer stands. If you want a different answer, ask a different question. [By the way, its NightEYES.]

Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 PM

43 posts, read 482,413 times
It ranges from blissful ignorance to outright hatred depending on the region. Some people seem to believe that the European Invaders and Colonizers did natives a favor by "saving" them from savagery. Others, who live in areas esp the praries seem to think that all they do is commit crime and drink (maybe true near all reserves or high native population areas).

Basically you see how black people are treated in America? Multiply that a bit and you got KKKanada. White people living in mansions while native people live in third world shacks int he COLD. That is a overview though there are many cases of genuine love and help between the people but, when the government is on the side of opression and paternalism what can you really say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History