Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,606,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
He was fairly cunning in climbing to the top and I think we need to remember that Stalin purged a large number of officers pre-war for political reasons.

Great Purge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seemed that during the war he put capable generals in charge in that when his neck was on the line he would make the correct decisions but at other times, especially post-war you would make somewhat intentionally random acts. (not always irrational though in that he was seeking a desired effect.)
Basically Stalin was not all that different from many other monarchs of Russia who ruled before him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 PM

4,756 posts, read 4,062,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Tony

a very informative and fantastic posting as it's much appreciated as always
Thank you, sir. I'm pleased you found it of interest.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM

78,546 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Basically Stalin was not all that different from many other monarchs of Russia who ruled before him.
Yeah, the Russian people have a long history of loving strong leaders and putting tons of power in to a few (or one) hands. Whatever the political system....eventually you get a leader that takes over and is all-powerful even when it's supposed to be for the workers' etc.

But hey, enough about Putin.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the Russian people have a long history of loving strong leaders and putting tons of power in to a few (or one) hands. Whatever the political system....eventually you get a leader that takes over and is all-powerful even when it's supposed to be for the workers' etc.

But hey, enough about Putin.
We can't really talk about Putin and his importance for future generations, without addressing the history of Russia and the way it has been reflected in the Russian Art. So before we discuss the issue of Putin and his presidency, let's look back in time and visit a couple of Russian museums, preferably of classical art.

Here is for your attention;

Ivan the terrible killing his son.

http://bibliotekar.ru/kRepin/2.files/image001.jpg

Peter The Great interrogating his son ( and killing him later)

http://nearyou.ru/ge/t71peter.jpg

Of course we don't have ( yet) a painting, depicting Stalin writing a letter to Germans, refusing to exchange his son ( who was killed later.)
I am confident however that this masterpiece is yet to come. Meanwhile by now we should recognize the trendy custom of the most progressive Russian monarchs and that Putin is not keeping up with it, while pretending all along to be a true leader.
So the best I can offer on a subject ( in order to keep up with great traditions of Russian Art) is this beautiful painting ( oil on canvas) of apostolic succession, that reflects the greatness of the Russian Empire, inviolable friendship of people and peace on Earth. I am attaching it as a thumbnail and now when I think about it, I'll probably go and post in the "Fine Arts" section too...
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts About Why Only Pavlov Was Executed and Yet Not Other Soviet Army Commanders During 1941 Invasion-putin-stalin.jpg  

Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 PM

Found more great, inspirational stuff...

http://img15.nnm.ru/e/0/a/4/d/889271...89c9e852d1.jpg

http://fotopolitika.ru/fotos/fotor1603.jpg

http://i.blog.fontanka.ru/photos/201...u6O0eHRNcc.jpg

Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 AM

78,546 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
We can't really talk about Putin and his importance for future generations, without addressing the history of Russia and the way it has been reflected in the Russian Art. So before we discuss the issue of Putin and his presidency, let's look back in time and visit a couple of Russian museums, preferably of classical art.

Here is for your attention;

Ivan the terrible killing his son.

http://bibliotekar.ru/kRepin/2.files/image001.jpg

Peter The Great interrogating his son ( and killing him later)

http://nearyou.ru/ge/t71peter.jpg

Of course we don't have ( yet) a painting, depicting Stalin writing a letter to Germans, refusing to exchange his son ( who was killed later.)
I am confident however that this masterpiece is yet to come. Meanwhile by now we should recognize the trendy custom of the most progressive Russian monarchs and that Putin is not keeping up with it, while pretending all along to be a true leader.
So the best I can offer on a subject ( in order to keep up with great traditions of Russian Art) is this beautiful painting ( oil on canvas) of apostolic succession, that reflects the greatness of the Russian Empire, inviolable friendship of people and peace on Earth. I am attaching it as a thumbnail and now when I think about it, I'll probably go and post in the "Fine Arts" section too...
Simply a brilliant post. Thankyou.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Simply a brilliant post. Thankyou.
But of course.
We are talking about the Classical Art here, not your impressionism-modernism mambo-jumbo...

Old 08-03-2011, 11:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,732,038 times
lol, great stuff erasure.

On another note, I just thought of a witty response to this thread as to why they killed Pavlov...

...because they had learned all they could from his dogs.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
lol, great stuff erasure.

On another note, I just thought of a witty response to this thread as to why they killed Pavlov...

...because they had learned all they could from his dogs.
When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of THAT Pavlov, not even remembering about the existence of another one.
Now I am reading that they were all rehabilitated ( posthumously of course) - all 7? of them. I'm sure it makes them feel soooooo much better in their graves)))))

Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 AM

313 posts, read 285,040 times
If the Germans had won the war, more than likely our history books would mention the Soviet invasion of the Reich.

How will we ever know which side caused the conflict when history is written by the victors? If you read Hitler's speeches to the Reichstag he talks about how it was the Russians who were going to strike at the Reich. I think that's one of the reason the Wehrmacht could get many foreign volunteers to fight the Russians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History