Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times

Advertisements

It just so happened that when the watergate scandal was in full bloom the Yom Kippur War started in the middle east. So what Nixon could have done is this: told the american media to lay off or he would restrict supplies going to Israel which would have put in Israel in a very dangerous predicament. Israel may have gone under without our help. Nixon could have ordered the navy to interdict all supplies going to Israel. You shound't be wondering what the connection to Israel and the american media is because jews control the american media(please don't accuse me of anti semitism over a truthful statement). Also the main characters behind the watergate uncovering were jews. So Nixon had a trump card and why didn't he play it. Of course Nixon was a coward as many of us know now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 09:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
All he really had to do was expose Dean and the burglary.He was never impeached for anything other than coverig it up.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
All he really had to do was expose Dean and the burglary.He was never impeached for anything other than coverig it up.
It would not have been possible to throw Dean to the wolves without Dean then testifying against Haldeman, Erlichman, Mitchel, Magruder, LaRue and Colson. Exposed would be the earlier illegal Plumbers operation against Daniel Ellsberg. On the tapes, when the Ellsberg's psychiatrist's break in is mentioned by Haldeman, Nixon responds "That was Colson's operation, wasn't it?" demonstrating knowledge of a crime by one of his White House staffers.

Nixon might have escaped by destroying the tapes, but then he would have been risking impeachment for destroying evidence being sought in a criminal investigation.

There was never any one thing Nixon could have done which would have made all his problems go away.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:00 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
It just so happened that when the watergate scandal was in full bloom the Yom Kippur War started in the middle east. So what Nixon could have done is this: told the american media to lay off or he would restrict supplies going to Israel which would have put in Israel in a very dangerous predicament. Israel may have gone under without our help. Nixon could have ordered the navy to interdict all supplies going to Israel. You shound't be wondering what the connection to Israel and the american media is because jews control the american media(please don't accuse me of anti semitism over a truthful statement). Also the main characters behind the watergate uncovering were jews. So Nixon had a trump card and why didn't he play it. Of course Nixon was a coward as many of us know now.

Well, the Yom kippur War was in October of 1973, and by then Watergate was into the later stages of the saturday night massacre and battle for the tapes. By then it was much too late for Nixon to turn things around, even if he had influence over the media at that point. He had plenty of time to act before Butterfield revealed at the senate hearings that there was a taping system. Had he destroyed the tapes before special prosecutor Archie Cox issued a sopena for them, that would have saved his presidentcy. He would have looked quilty, but at that point, it was Dean's word against Nixon's, with no concrete proof that could have forced Nixon from office.

The only other way Nixon could have preserved his presidentcy after the break in, was to yield to any and all demands by Howard Hunt and ALL of the break in team that was going to prison, especially James Mccord, the guy who told the judge about the others such as Dean, that were not identified. I think a couple payments of 75 K were paid to the burglers to be split up among 5 or 6 guys, I'm sure that wasn't enough to keep them quiet, and I think Mccord also wanted Nixon to leave Helms and the CIA off the hook for the blame, and Nixon refused his request and fired Helms. The break in team were mostly ex-CIA guys and did not like Nixon laying it off on the CIA.

With your statement of Nixon being a coward, I strongly disagree. He had a lot of fight in him, no matter what battle he was engaged in.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
as I recall he did have fight in him and in foreign policy at least took amazing steps and did long term good things

only Nixon could have gone to China as they say

Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
Another problem for Nixon is that he wasn't a very popular or charismatic president. Reagan or Clinton could have found a way out, Nixon was destined to go down!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:57 AM

689 posts, read 2,160,160 times
Deny, Deny, Deny.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:18 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
as I recall he did have fight in him and in foreign policy at least took amazing steps and did long term good things

only Nixon could have gone to China as they say
Yes, but the reason that only Nixon could go to China was that if any of the more liberal presidents had attempted such a thing, Nixon would have been on the sidelines going into his full attack dog mode and telling everyone in the nation that this act represented a treasonous sellout of everything sacred to Americans. Nixon could go because he didn't have the problem of the opposition using the trip to tar him as a commie lover.

This dynamic works both ways, as readily as we say "Only Nixon could go to China" we could also be saying "Only Clinton could have reformed welfare." Had a GOP administration tried to do it, then it would have been the left tarring them as heartless, aristocratic greedheads.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:22 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
The answer is simple: He should have a confessed his culpability to the American people. That would have been the end of it as we are a forgiving people.

Edit: Well...let me re-phrase that. We WERE a forgiving people. I'm not so sure today.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The answer is simple: He should have a confessed his culpability to the American people. That would have been the end of it as we are a forgiving people.

Edit: Well...let me re-phrase that. We WERE a forgiving people. I'm not so sure today.

I agree a sincere appology and a full house cleaning (helped by the fact he was surrounded by people willing to fall on their swords for Dick Nixon) might have converted the Watergate Investigation into a partisan witch hunt and given Nixon a conviction proof majority of 35 loyalist senators in the US Senate. Nixon would have had his political valedictory called the US Bicenntenial (What a marvelous speech he would have given on Liberty Island with the Tall Ships in the background with the Twin Towers just finished) and on New Years Day 1977 Dick Nixon would have given his Get out of Jail cards to the loyal staffers who helped bury the scandal by doing the honorable thing --falling on their swords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History