Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:46 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,483 times

Advertisements

We must never forget this terrible time in history. There are some who will claim this never happened. This commentary and photo’s are very powerful .

This is the story of how a Hungarian Jewish woman who survived Auschwitz had found a coat belonging to a guard which she took to shield her from the
cold immediately after her liberation. In the pocket of this coat she found a photo album. It contained pictures of what went on in this extermination
camp. Imagine her reaction when she saw a picture of herself coming off of the train as well pictures of her family who were already murdered.

This album at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem was donated by this woman in 1980 and will forever be displayed there. When you have 5 minutes of peace and quiet
infront of your computer, Watch it and consider passing it around to people that you know so they can share it and know about it.

It is truly moving and important.

http://http://www1.yadvashem.org/exhibitions/album_Auschwitz/mutimedia/index.HTML (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
I did want to view it, but the link doesn't work.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
I did want to view it, but the link doesn't work.
try this one. The Auschwitz Album

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-03-2011, 03:45 PM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
How long before the deniers weigh in on this?

Old 09-03-2011, 04:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
You know it makes it hard to look at those pictures because you know 90% of those people got gassed in the chambers .. those children , sweet children who never did anything to any one and this is what fate awaited them .

Old 09-03-2011, 06:28 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
Spent a couple of hours viewing. Awesome,rt. Sobering.
I saw every pic, read every story.
Pg 8-pic128, woman with glasses. 1st person with glasses I saw. The Nazis must have taken then all away too. But then I think the same woman is in pg 13-pic157. The only other person I saw with glasses is pg 12-pic142.
Pg 15-172 & pg 16 seem to be different angles of pics from pg 3-pic26.
The only thing I see is the statement says it's the month of May/June.
I know deportees wore mostly what the owned if given half a chance to grab what they could, layered upon layers, but it just doesn't look that warm to me.
I wonder why the creepy guard did take those pictures. But glad they were preserved.
I hope anyone, even one person could discover one good thing, like where a family member might have wound up, from them.
Thank you for this disturbing reminder.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Are you sure this is the only surviving pics around? I'm pretty certain that i've seen many different pics of the camp shown on public tv before. However, i've never seen these pics before until now.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
try this one. The Auschwitz Album

20yrsinBranson
Thank you for correcting the link!

Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
This is profoundly depressing. These atrocities were committed by a supposedly civilized European nation. Given the right set of circumstances, another mad man like Hitler and another group of " outsiders " scapegoated for a nations problems it could happen again on a similar scale.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Post Another Album: "Laughing at Auschwitz"

This album shows the SS officers of auschwitz, when they turned the camera on themselves.

"The album belonged to Karl Höcker, the adjutant to the final camp commandant at Auschwitz, Richard Baer. Höcker took the pictures as personal keepsakes. The album also contains eight photos of Josef Mengele -- some of the very few existing snapshots taken of the concentration camp's notorious doctor during the time he spent there.

"Twelve SS auxiliaries sit happily on a fence railing eating blueberries given to them by an SS officer. The photo was taken in 1944 in Solahütte, a recreation home located near Auschwitz for the SS team in charge of running the concentration camp. Another shows the auxiliaries callously feigning tears once their bowls are empty.

"The photos were taken between May and December 1944, and they show the officers and guards relaxing and enjoying themselves -- as countless people were being murdered and cremated at the nearby death camp. In some of the photos, SS officers can be seen singing. In others they are hunting and in another a man can be seen decorating a Christmas tree in what could only be described as a holiday in hell.

"These unique photographs vividly illustrate the contented world they enjoyed while overseeing a world of unimaginable suffering," museum director Sara Bloomfield said in a statement. "They offer an important perspective on the psychology of those perpetrating genocide." The director of the museum's photographic reference collection, Judith Cohen, said there are no photos depicting anything abhorrent, "and that's precisely what makes them so horrible."

"The images are significant because there are few photos available today of the "social life" of the SS officers who were responsible for the mass murder at Auschwitz, the Berliner Morgenpost newspaper writes. The paper claims that these are the first leisure time photos of the concentration camp's SS officers to be discovered, though similar images do exist for other camps, including Sachsenhausen, Dachau and Buchenwald.

Photo Gallery: Laughing at Auschwitz - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History