Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times

Advertisements

I figured a history forum might be better for this thread than a jobs forum, simply because this targets the interested parties. I will be earning an MA in History in the spring, and am looking to get out of Michigan (no jobs of any kind short of medical). I will not be a professor, so I'm really looking for something non-academic but still history-related. Ideally looking for something researching or writing history for government, corporations, local areas, genealogy, putting together projects for museums or creating programs for the public, archive work, etc. I'm sure someone out there knows what kind of jobs I'm thinking of.

Is there anyone familiar with the market that can give me some pointers on job titles to look for? Often-times the job titles don't indicate it would be a good fit for a historian.

And, on a further note, does anyone know of any regions of the country where a historian would stand a better shot of finding work? I find that locally, where I love, not only are there no jobs, but the local historical societies and governments don't ever really do anything, so they don't have a need to hire anyone. I'm assuming somewhere on the East Coast would be best. Look forward to hearing any thoughts that could help me (or anyone else curious) out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
If I were in your shoes I would spend some time in the Newberry Library in Chicago researching where the history novels, magazines, books and research is being generated. State level historical and genealogy societies send history laden letters every month. But if I really wanted to steep myself in American history I would go to the East Coast where you can still find descendants of the early settlers still living in the same aeras. The history of some of America's first churches - especially those whose members were active in the RW is very interesting.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
If I were you, I'd volunteer at museums that interested me. Most museums rely heavily on volunteers, especially now with all the government cut-backs. This way you'll get your face/name out there, get to know people in hiring positions, get an idea if it would be a good fit for you, and let them see how good a worker you are.

I don't think one area of the country is better than another (except maybe the Smithsonian Museums in Wash, DC). It will depend more on who you know and being in the right place at the right time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History