U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:00 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,888,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Im guessing you just forgot to add Stonewall Jackson to the list.
Your guess could be correct, but it's also possible that he just does not admire Jackson very much. I certainly do not, and I'm sure there are others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Many are now of the opinion that Chamberlain was a self promoting egoist who loudly tooted his own horn while failing to give credit to others.
Possible. I've never read much on Chamberlain; never had much affection for him. I've always got the impression he was over-rated, though I've no claims to back this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Union Brigadier General Lew Wallace ( later author of Ben-Hur ). Saved the Union Capital even in defeat by the south's Lt General Jubal Early at Monocacy by delaying Early for one day. Grant wrote that Wallace gained more for his country with the Monocacy defeat than many generals had gained with their victories.
I have a slight personal interest in Wallace because he's a writer. There's a new biography out about him I'll be interested in reading sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I like most of the people mentioned in the thread so far but is it ok that I give a shout out for the soldiers of the Confederate Army of Tennessee?
Ah, the Army of Tennessee, a very interesting collection there. As much as I have this grudge against Bragg, I can't help but admit that he does draw my attention because of his eccentricities (not to mention how almost no one liked him--that's a big draw for me). Reading "This Terrible Sound" is making me want to crack and just get a biography of him. Across the way there in the Army of the Cumberland, I never realized what a nutty person Rosecrans was--I might just have to read more about him now too.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 10-08-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 AM

22,630 posts, read 13,269,335 times
If I read the title of the thread correctly, it says "Civil War people" which to me is not limited to Generals and officers.

A favorite "Civil War Person" of mine is the poet Walt Whitman. His war-era poems: "Drum-Taps," "When Lilacs Last In The Dooryard Bloom'd," "Oh Captain, My Captain" ... are really beautiful.

Whitman was a volunteer nurse in military hospitals during the war, and many a wounded soldier was comforted by Whitman. It appears Whitman had an intense relationship with a paroled Confederate prisoner of war by the name of Peter Doyle.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:15 AM

14,131 posts, read 28,487,388 times
Ann Pamela Cunningham, who saved Mount Vernon from harm by both sides.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 AM

120 posts, read 150,557 times
Louisa May Alcott, she served as a nurse in the Union Hospital during the Bbattle of Fredericksburg.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:04 AM
Status: "He's trying to pull a Ronald 'McDonald' Miller scam on us.." (set 17 days ago)

2,179 posts, read 1,341,751 times
The Gray Ghost John Mosby (Confederate guerilla)
Stonewall Jackson

CSA political figures- Jefferson Davis & Judah Benjamin

Union- Joshua Chamberlain.. hard not to like this guy after the Gettysburg movie.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:06 AM

8,120 posts, read 8,629,631 times
Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson, John hunt Morgan, Nathaniel Bedford Forest, James Longstreet are my favorites and I will also give honorable mention to pre war senator John C Calhoun for his dedication to states rights. While I believe northerners fought well, and also had some very talented leadership (Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, Meade, Thomas etc.) I must say I cannot call them "favorites", as their cause has led to the cheapening of our constitution. The northern victory in their war led to the rights guaranteed to the states to be violated, it led to the large overbearing government in Washington we have today. Today the government runs much of our lives, controls large corporations, banks etc. The government is interfering in the civil affairs of states, dictating their laws to them (abortion, marriage laws), dictating affirmative action, controlling them with the tax dollars they payed in to begin with. Of course the income tax itself is not constitutional, All these powers belong to the states. The Confederate States Of America stood for the values of our founding fathers, the yankee federalists stand for big government. The war of northern aggression is the worst thing that happened to American democracy.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:46 PM

11,898 posts, read 9,289,600 times
Lt George Dixon George E. Dixon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stonewall Jackson (Since I graduated from Stonewall Jackson High)

I've heard this legend floating around here.. I very much doubt it's true.. However, the legend is that Abraham Lincoln was John C Calhoun's illegitimate son. That's one of the legends around Abbeville, SC where Calhoun was born. The theory is how did Lincoln rise to prominence being born to a poor family and raised in Illinois.. So Calhoun, from behind the scenes, pulled the strings to help him advance.

It's unlikely, but.. Like the Lochness monster or aliens at Roswell.. There's just enough fact there to make it an interesting read.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:49 AM

12,647 posts, read 14,584,281 times
Definitely Sherman.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:32 PM

23,567 posts, read 29,857,248 times
Union - George Henry Thomas

August Willich

Ambrose Bierce

Confederate - Patrick Cleburne

Civilians - Dr Mary Walker

Tilghman Vestal

Old 09-16-2014, 06:30 PM

2,999 posts, read 5,646,135 times
My Ten

Union
US Grant
Benjamin Butler
Joshua Chamberlain
Robert Gould Shaw

CSA
Joseph E. Johnston
James Longstreet
George Pickett

Non-Combatants
Clara Barton
Frederick Douglass
Sam Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History