U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:13 PM

3,271 posts, read 4,416,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Union - George Henry Thomas

August Willich

Ambrose Bierce

Confederate - Patrick Cleburne

Civilians - Dr Mary Walker

Tilghman Vestal
Patrick Cleburne is my absolute favorite Confederate general!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 PM

23,566 posts, read 29,800,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Patrick Cleburne is my absolute favorite Confederate general!
Most of my people fought in the western theater. The majority of them were in the Army of the Ohio/Cumberland. Cleburne was far & away the most competent, in the Army of Tennessee, in my opinion.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:39 AM
Status: "Wokeness is just a fear of freedom .. and of responsibility" (set 12 days ago)

14,358 posts, read 8,778,381 times
Grenville M. Dodge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A man of many talents, but tinged, to some degree by his faults; his story parallels the successes and shortcomings of his time

A graduate of the lesser-known but traditionally- miltary-oriented Norwich University, spent his first years as a scout west of the Missouri, which was to pay off in later life. A succesful field general, but better-suited to intelligence.

Participated in the building of the Union Pacific Railroad after the war, but was drawn into the Credit Mobilier scandal; a member of the Reconstruction Republican "junta" which dominated the nation 1868-1884. Remained active in various businss and civic functions until shortly before his death at the age of 84.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 PM

8,088 posts, read 8,451,507 times
Emory Upton

Old 02-28-2020, 09:23 AM
Status: "He's trying to pull a Ronald 'McDonald' Miller scam on us.." (set 5 days ago)

2,162 posts, read 1,328,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Jefferson Davis (though a bit unlikeable by others, I always found him to be a little tragic, especially how his first marriage ended and all).
Website for the magazine Civil War Monitor has a picture essay up on Jeff Davis currently..

https://civilwarmonitor.com/blog/jef...rate-president

Old 03-01-2020, 06:05 PM

12,128 posts, read 10,999,647 times
Odd, the original post asks about "people," but then switches to "leaders."

I've always been fond of Jourdan Anderson, the ex-slave who wrote this to his ex-master:

Letters of Note: To My Old Master

Old 03-01-2020, 07:24 PM

48,571 posts, read 20,556,297 times
I would not describe it as admiration, but I'm highly entertained by the career of Confederate General Earl Van Dorn. He was always so full of optimistic bluster and bombast at the start of a campaign, and just as enthusiastic at the start of the next after the first had been a dismal failure.

He had been a twice wounded Mexican War hero, and as a Mississippian, elected to follow his state when it joined the Confederacy. His first major command in the Civil War was the Army of the West, which had been shoved almost completely out of Missouri. Van Dorn conceived and announced a grand plan not only to recover Northern Arkansas, but to push on north and recover St. Louis and the rest of Missouri for the South. Van Dorn liked to have campaign mottoes, for this it was "St. Louis! Then Huzzah!"

Defeated at the Battle of Pine Ridge, Van Dorn never made it out of Arkansas, much less St. Louis or any "huzzah" gains beyond that.

His next plan was to move south rather than north, recover occupied Baton Rouge and from there spring on to recover New Orleans. This time the motto was "Ho For New Orleans!"

Defeated north of Baton Rouge, Van Dorn was forced to retreat back to Arkansas.

Then he determined that with the grand Union army which had taken Corinth now scattered by General Halleck. He could retake Corinth and then drive all of General Grants forces from Mississippi and Tennessee. If he had a motto for this venture, I haven't been able to find it.

It worked no better than the first two campaigns, defeated at Corinth, he retreated to Arkansas.

That was enough for President Davis who removed him from command of the Army of the West and assigned him cavalry duty. It was here that Van Dorn finally did something right. His December 1862 raid on Grant's supply base at Holly Springs brought an end to Grant's operations against Vicksburg for 1862.

It wasn't the enemy that did Van Dorn in, it was his nature. He was a notorious ladies man who did not see marital status as a reason to discriminate in his courtships. In April of 1863 he was making his headquarters in Spring Hill, Tennessee, and there became involved with the wife of a doctor/legislator named George Peters. Mrs. Peters was apparently bored by her husband's frequent absences and accepted the public courting of Van Dorn. Peters learned of the affair, returned to Springfield, made his way to Van Dorn's quarters and shot him in the back of the head. Van Dorn died four hours later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History