U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 PM

3,273 posts, read 4,422,420 times

Advertisements

Mine personally (though I side with the South, in terms of their attempt of independence. Do have a favorite Union man as well)

Confederate:
Robert E. Lee
Nathan Bedford Forrest
Patrick Royanne Cleburne
Lewis Armistead
Simon Bolivar Buckner
John Hunt Morgan

Confederate (special mention):
Winnfield S. Featherson
Jefferson Davis (though a bit unlikeable by others, I always found him to be a little tragic, especially how his first marriage ended and all).
Henry Hopkins Sibley: If a chance for glory in our Civil War was so close for a man to taste it, and failed to achieve it, breaking him for the rest of his life, this man was it.
Jack Hinson: Union troops kill this man's family in Tennessee, and he goes on an "Outlaw Josey Wales"-style revenge spree with a sniper rifle!

Union:
Joshua Chamberlain: This guy was pretty inspirational, Medal of Honor recipient and died at the ripe old age of 85 after 4 terms as governor of Maine.

I'm still trying to learn more on Union leaders
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,545,316 times
I am pro-Union for certain, especially since my great -great grandfather served in the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

For the Union:
John Buford : A fine cavalry leader, who tragically died of disease in 1863

Phil Sheridan: Inspirational cavalry commander

Joshua Chamberlain: Classic citizen-soldier

Winfield Scott Hancock: One of the very best senior commanders

U.S. Grant : Understood total war, and what it took to defeat Lee

W.T. Sherman: see Hancock

For the Confederacy:

Robert E.Lee : Misguided in his loyalties, but an admirable man in all
respects.

James Longstreet: Skilled, tenacious senior commander

Old 10-06-2011, 09:08 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,718,450 times
John Logan, veteran of all the Army of the Tennessee's fights and a very capable commander at all levels he attained, eventually commanding the 15th Corps and the Army of the Tennessee itself for short time. The Hero of Atlanta and the finest political general of the war and the embodiment of the midwestern soldiers who tore the heart out of the rebellion.

Humphreys, Wright, Griffin and Parke; the four corps commanders who under Grant's, Meade's and Sheridan's direction finally got the Army of the Potomac rolling.

Ord who with 24th Corps commander Gibbon got the Army of the James rolling. Who would'a thought Butler's old command would have been in on the kill at Petersburg and then Appomattox?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM

22,630 posts, read 13,264,986 times
I am not surprised that only mention of military men are being made ( and yes Jefferson Davis was a military man).

How about:

-- Mary Boykin Chesnut (Articulate Confederate diarist, commentator and woman of letters)

-- Mary Edwards Walker (Union surgeon, feminist, spy, only female to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor)

-- Varina Howell Davis (First Lady of the Confederacy, author and journalist)

-- Julia Ward Howe (activist and poet who wrote the lyrics to "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic")

Old 10-06-2011, 10:00 AM

42,494 posts, read 26,556,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am not surprised that only mention of military men are being made ( and yes Jefferson Davis was a military man).

How about:

-- Mary Boykin Chesnut (Articulate Confederate diarist, commentator and woman of letters)

-- Mary Edwards Walker (Union surgeon, feminist, spy, only female to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor)

-- Varina Howell Davis (First Lady of the Confederacy, author and journalist)

-- Julia Ward Howe (activist and poet who wrote the lyrics to "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic")
Add to that, Anna Ella Carroll, reputed to be the invisible member of Lincoln's cabinet.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 AM

16,434 posts, read 20,210,640 times
Thomas E. (Stonewall) Jackson. The most capable General of the war on either side.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,718,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Thomas E. (Stonewall) Jackson. The most capable General of the war on either side.

That's a reach.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:16 PM

5,015 posts, read 6,590,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's a reach.
Not to me. I just finished reading Four Years in the Stonewall Brigade. I can't believe with all of my 60 years of reading about the Civil War, I had never read this whole book, only excerpts. What a hoot !

I have always had a great admiration for Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson.
Not a perfect man but an admirable general, one of the best.

I think Robert E Lee was a fine general and an honorable man.

I agree about Mary Boykin Chestnut. I have read both the abridged and the original, unredacted version of her diaries. I only wish so much had not been lost. She was a very intelligient (sp) woman.

I hated Sherman for the destruction he inflicted in his march to the sea. I had relatives directly in the path of his march and lost everything. But, I have always had a grudging admiration for the man.

Joshua Chamberlain - no explanation needed. An American hero.

General John B. Gordon I have always liked him. Everything I read about him, an able and fierce fighting man.

A.P. Hill.-the forgotten Confedrate.

There are others, Union and Confederate, but I'm tired.....<s>

eta: My hero Abraham Lincoln,

Last edited by AnnieA; 10-06-2011 at 11:52 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 AM

426 posts, read 1,197,993 times
Default Civil War

Mine would be
Stand Watie
Edward Porter Alexander
Raphael Semmes
Lt Charles Read
Matthew Maury
Those are off the top of my head.
Also agree with
Mary Chesnut
Patrick Cleburne
John Hunt Morgan
John B Gordon

Last edited by kathys; 10-07-2011 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: added

Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM

275 posts, read 350,542 times
Just offhand, some of the people I admire for some reason or another are: :

Francis Barlow
George Thomas
Robert Hoke
William H.C. Whiting
Edward Porter Alexander
John Pelham
Alonzo Cushing
Patrick Cleburne (naturally...)

I greatly admire Grant (and to some extent Sherman), though this sets me a odds with many of my fellow Southerners, heh.

Jefferson Davis had his faults, but I think he was honorable.

I dread to mention Ben "Spoons" Butler, but he did have a sense of humor, and even he managed to rise to the occasion once.

Gouverneur K. Warren sort of got a bad deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History