Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,848 times

Advertisements

On July 8, 1967 there was brawl preceding a parade on Main Street near the Mecom Fountain and Hermann Park between Marines and Vietnam War protestors. The newspapers labeled them as "peaceniks". There were articles in the Houston Chronicle(July 10, 1967), Houston Post, and a underground newspaper named "The Rag"(July 17, 1967) that was based out of Austin. I have been to the Houston Public Library and have made copies off of micro-film from these papers. My copies are of very poor quality and I was wondering if anyone out there knows where I can find and obtain better copies or copies from the negatives. The library and the papers do not have negatives from that time period. When the papers came out I clipped out the articles and sent them to my cousin who was in Vietnam at the time. I saved none for myself. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:15 PM

This was in Houston, Texas.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
You could try your luck by putting a permanent search on eBay, but you'd have to be lucky::

1967 The Rag Underground Newspaper VG V 2 7 Hippie Counter Culture 16 Pgs | eBay

The Rag Hippie New Left Radical SDS Newspaper Guadalupe UT Austin Texas 1970 | eBay

Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 PM

That's a good idea that I never considered. I need Volumn One, No.27. July 17, 1967. I just got off of the phone with a guy that might have some extra copies. If not, he told me where to find some high quality scanned copies. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:05 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,132,178 times
Well, if we are talking about a good old fashioned hippy beat down, I think the Hard Hat Riot on May 8, 1970 should be mentioned in this thread.

The riot took place in Lower Manhattan, the day after 4 students at Kent State were killed. The students and other protesters had been terrorizing the campus grounds and city of Kent in the days leading up to the shootings. The "protesters" had been rampaging thru the streets with frequent acts of violence, arson and vandalism, they needed to surpressed by the Ohio National Guard and 4 students were killed for their persistence.

The next day, flags in NYC were flown at half staff by order of Mayor Linsey, to honor the slain vandal hordes at Kent State. When more student protests were assembled near the Wall Street district and City Hall in Lower Manhattan, a counter protest was organized to represent the Silent Majority, via Chuck Colson and the local AFL CIO leader George Meany, which became known as the Hard Hat Riot. Believe it or not, in those days most union leaders in the US were overwhelmingly patriotic, anti communist, and strongly supported the war in Vietnam. Members of the AFL CIO in NY were polled at 20 to 1 in favor of the Vietnam War, and against the student protesters.

The union men put on their hard hats and went to work on the protesters, targeting the ones with the longest hair first. Within a few minutes they broke thru the rather thin police line that was separating them from the protesters, and unleased their fury upon the hippies, beating them with their hard hats and rods of steel rebar they used for concrete work. The hard hat construction workers chased the hippies into the Wall Street district, unopposed by the police, whom stood by to enjoy the scene unfolding before them. Several groups of Wall Street lawyers, bankers, and investment analysts from nearby investment firms joined the brawl, coming to the aid of the hippies, but were soon beaten down by the hard hat patriots.

At nearby Federal Hall, the 200 hard hat construction workers chased away thousands of protesters that had gathered at city hall, and took up position there, threatening to storm the building if the flag was not raised to full mast. A postal worker raised it to full mast soon after, appeasing the hard hats, but then Mayor Lindsey ordered city workers to lower the flag once again, enraging the hard hats once again. They stormed city hall and did not retreat, until Deputy Mayor Richard Aurelio ordered city workers to raise the flag once again, for fear the whole building would be overrun. Satisfied with that, they moved on to Pace University and stormed two buildings full of students and beat up a few of them. On the way to Pace University, they tore down a red cross flag and Episcopal flag from the flag pole of Trinity Church (don't quite understand that action, but what the hell, these guys were on a roll and who am I to judge).

Nobody was killed in the Hard Hat Riot, but 70 people were injured, and 6 arrests were made. It was not a bloodbath, just some hard working Americans enjoying a nice spring day, blowing off some steam, carrying their own signs of protest, such as "America, love it or leave it" and "All the way USA". In the days that followed, a ticker tape parade was held for the hard hat workers, whom marched peacefully, and of course there were many more student protests against the war in Vietnam to follow as well.

Sorry I cannot help the OP with the photos of the '67 riot of marines vs. protesters, but here are some nice shots of the Hard Hat Riot that I hope some of you might enjoy.

^^^ Chuck Colson, great patiriot and Nixon white house tie to organized labor at the AFL CIO.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Interesting, but I'm looking for some particular newspaper material.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:55 PM

468 posts, read 583,404 times
hmmmmmmmmmmm............now that we know that the Gulf of Tonkin was a false flag operation to get us into the Viet-Nam war for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.......WE KNOW THE STUDENTS WERE RIGHT, and unbeknownst to them, they were the true patriots because: American Military Forces are supposed to be only for DEFENSE..........not Offense.

I am glad they refused to go and are alive today with all limbs in tact.

Our politicians have been using the young men/women of the armed forces as OFFENSIVE force around the world to protect the financial interest of the "elite" 1%. And that statement is proven by the fact that while America is faltering and the middle-class is losing its buying power the millioners have become billioners. The rich did in fact have gotten much richer via crony capitalism supported by the Democrat/Republican politics alike.

The Pentagon/politicians lie in our face and use our children as fodder for wars of aggressions against "leaders" who will not play "nice" and be puppets for the western elites. THEY HAVE BLOOD ON THEIR HANDS. Now! that pig, is sending them to "fight ebola"...........the man is insane and so is the skirts in the pentagon who allow this. I WOULD NOT GO. Throw me in the brig. Send me home with a dishonorable discharge BUT TIME WOULD PROVE ME TO BE RIGHT. ......the military leaders are insane. War pigs who waste the lives of Americas youth, for $$$$$ and power. Americas military is for DEFENSE nothing more.
Those who refuse to go to Nam, history showed them to be right.
BTW I don't se McCains or Obamas spawn heading for military service. It should be mandatory for the elite parasitical class. Just saying.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 PM

I sure wish you would have started your own thread. Your rant is off topic. I'm not going to make this a political thread. I simply want to find the newspaper articles that I discribed.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,132,178 times
Aw shucks OP, you're no fun. It's been raining all day and I stir your thread with some Hard Hat goodness and get some sparks flying, and all you want are some newspaper clippings.....

And the Royals Game got rained out too, what a suck wad monday this has been.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:59 AM

I have the date wrong. It happened on July 9, 1967.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History