Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times

Advertisements

they ruled ancient egypt for a hundred years. no one ever talks about this black civilization, they built pyramids too even though they weren't quite as big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Are you sure they were black,or were they mixed black/Arab?
From what I know on my own family some Arabs appear black and some appear white.
True,unmixed Arabs had darker skin. Those that mixed with Berbers in North Africa look practically white.
Same with those that mixed with Turks.

I just question those that say Arabs are white,esp centuries ago refered to as sand ******s.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM

No, the Ancient Nubians were not mixed or Arab. They were very darkskin Black Africans.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 PM

bump

Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Are you sure they were black,or were they mixed black/Arab?
From what I know on my own family some Arabs appear black and some appear white.
True,unmixed Arabs had darker skin. Those that mixed with Berbers in North Africa look practically white.
Same with those that mixed with Turks.

I just question those that say Arabs are white,esp centuries ago refered to as sand ******s.
When the Nubians ruled Egypt, they are referred to as "The Black Pharaohs". Nubia is believed to go back to some 7,000 BC, and lasted longer than the Egyptian Pharaohs, Greeks, and Romans combined. Even when they didn't rule Egypt, many were used as guards for sacred places, and at one point, they were the most fierce military troop of the time.

Notable, when they conquered Egypt, they did not rule as conquerers. Instead, they worked to rebuild Egypt back to it's former glory, even celebrating Egyptian ceremonies and religious events. Between times of war, they were allies, and marriages between the two were common.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
When the Nubians ruled Egypt, they are referred to as "The Black Pharaohs". Nubia is believed to go back to some 7,000 BC, and lasted longer than the Egyptian Pharaohs, Greeks, and Romans combined. Even when they didn't rule Egypt, many were used as guards for sacred places, and at one point, they were the most fierce military troop of the time.

Notable, when they conquered Egypt, they did not rule as conquerers. Instead, they worked to rebuild Egypt back to it's former glory, even celebrating Egyptian ceremonies and religious events. Between times of war, they were allies, and marriages between the two were common.
Thank you. I learn something new everyday.

I find it disheartening that no one around here has taken much interest in learning about the Ancient Nubians history I wonder if it has something to do with thier race..

Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post

I find it disheartening that no one around here has taken much interest in learning about the Ancient Nubians history I wonder if it has something to do with thier race..
There is a "Were Egyptians Black or White?" thread every couple of months or so and they usually go hundreds of posts and Nubia is always discussed. Ultimately these threads turn into pissing contests between Black racist revisionists and White racist revisionists.

No one seems to want to accept the the answer is "Yes, the Egyptians were Black... and White... and really neither depending on how you look at it."

So lets talk about Nubians and not race, shall we?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:45 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:

Intelligent and well read conversation and communication is a benefit but both parties need to contribute.
Your original post was poorly crafted with numerous errors resulting in passing over this thread. Then you went for the race card to attract attention. Typical.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:

I've spent the last 16 years researching ancient cultures. Originally, "Ti-Seti" (the land of the bow) were nomads that raised cattle along the Nile. As Nubians, when they conquered lands, they ruled by treaties and alliances, not as conquerors. They did not take slaves, though, when a war did not go in their favor, Nubians often were taken as slaves. To begin with, Egypt did use them as desert trackers, and later as a desert police force. But, Egypt used carved ivory and ebony, and since that came from tropical Africa, it had to pass through heart of Nubia. The area was also known a "Kush". Today, it is Sudan.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I've spent the last 16 years researching ancient cultures.
HAHA, this CityData forum must have half of the World's egyptoligists currently alive posting here, or so they claim. Sorry, I don't doubt your knowledge, but at the same time we've had some seriously strange blow-hards on the previous Egypt threads.
If you don't fill a post with they idiotic links, race debates, and plagerized internet sites, I am all ears. And me, just a lowly traveler with interests that has read some books and got some sand in my shoes from a couple trips to Egypt, down to the borders of Sudan up to Cairo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History