Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which modern war?
Revolutionary War/War of Independence 7 4.46%
Napoleonic War 10 6.37%
Crimean War 2 1.27%
American Civil War 35 22.29%
Mexican American War 1 0.64%
Spanish American War 2 1.27%
Boer War 2 1.27%
World War I 16 10.19%
Spanish Civil War 2 1.27%
World War II 75 47.77%
Korean War 1 0.64%
Vietnam War 3 1.91%
First Gulf War 0 0%
War in Afghanistan 0 0%
War in Iraq 1 0.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,980,988 times

Advertisements

Spanish American War that put US on the World's stage or should I say a course with destiny to become the worlds policeman on the beat....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,500,187 times
World War II

Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 AM

441 posts, read 883,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I go for the Napoleonic Wars going back to their beginnings in the French Revolution, major shift in the way people thought about themselves, their nation, the way we fight wars, etc. It is also the one past conflict that set the stage for eveything that happened right up to the beginning of WW2; which would be the second on my list, because that marks the next great shift.
This.

I personally feel I've been overexposed to teaching on WW II having spent most of high school studying it, so I am at this point looking to other wars...

Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
This.

I personally feel I've been overexposed to teaching on WW II having spent most of high school studying it, so I am at this point looking to other wars...
Great...we are assigning you the The Russo-Japanese War of '04-'05. Please get back to us with your report.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 PM

10,121 posts, read 15,804,433 times
The American Civil War aka the War Between the States. Being from Louisiana, this is always important, and its important this war is continuously studied to give some justice to the descendants of many who fought in it. In many parts of the country, lies are told in history classrooms and books about how the South was evil and the war was completely about slavery, and how all Southerners were racist and fought the war to keep blacks in chains. They never learn about the high ranking Jews in the Confederate army, or the blacks and Native Americans who fought for the Confederacy. In many places outside the South, and now even in some areas with a lot of transplants, the Confederate flag can sometimes have a stigma to it. Also the lessons from the war are still valid in America today, especially an overbearing government that does not respect states rights, especially since Obama became president. Both the Civil War and the American Revolution had a lot to do with taxation and tariffs also, and our tax loving federal government, and several tax loving state and local governments, should keep this in mind.

I'm surprsied the Mexican American War isn't given more attention since we did gain a quarter of our nation in that conflict. Also related to that conflict, i find the Texas Revolution very inspiring, especially the story of the Alamo and the heroes who sacrified themselves for freedom to same their compatriots as they held back Santa Anna's forces for a week so the other Texans could escape San Antonio and regroup and fight again. WW2 and Vietnam are knwon for both heroism and dishonor, WW2 obviously for what the Nazis and Japanese did, and Vietnam because of the government's conduct of the war. The US military did nOT lose the Vietnam War, in every battle where we fought the commies we kicked the crap out of them. While we lost over 55,000 Americans the communists losts millions dead, it was the federal government under pressure from traitorous liberals that betrayed our soldiers and the people of Vietnam who wanted freedom from communist oppression.

I think the wars with no glory or honor whatever and only shame include the Bosnian civil war, the Lebanese civil war, and the Iran-Iraq War.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The American Civil War aka the War Between the States. Being from Louisiana, this is always important, and its important this war is continuously studied to give some justice to the descendants of many who fought in it. In many parts of the country, lies are told in history classrooms and books about how the South was evil and the war was completely about slavery, and how all Southerners were racist and fought the war to keep blacks in chains. They never learn about the high ranking Jews in the Confederate army, or the blacks and Native Americans who fought for the Confederacy. In many places outside the South, and now even in some areas with a lot of transplants, the Confederate flag can sometimes have a stigma to it. Also the lessons from the war are still valid in America today, especially an overbearing government that does not respect states rights, especially since Obama became president. Both the Civil War and the American Revolution had a lot to do with taxation and tariffs also, and our tax loving federal government, and several tax loving state and local governments, should keep this in mind.

I'm surprsied the Mexican American War isn't given more attention since we did gain a quarter of our nation in that conflict. Also related to that conflict, i find the Texas Revolution very inspiring, especially the story of the Alamo and the heroes who sacrified themselves for freedom to same their compatriots as they held back Santa Anna's forces for a week so the other Texans could escape San Antonio and regroup and fight again. WW2 and Vietnam are knwon for both heroism and dishonor, WW2 obviously for what the Nazis and Japanese did, and Vietnam because of the government's conduct of the war. The US military did nOT lose the Vietnam War, in every battle where we fought the commies we kicked the crap out of them. While we lost over 55,000 Americans the communists losts millions dead, it was the federal government under pressure from traitorous liberals that betrayed our soldiers and the people of Vietnam who wanted freedom from communist oppression.

I think the wars with no glory or honor whatever and only shame include the Bosnian civil war, the Lebanese civil war, and the Iran-Iraq War.

I read that blacks weren't allowed to fight for the Conferederacy? Or is that false? I know the War was more complex than just a conflict over slavery.

Among those millions of dead communists were many civilians, innocent men, women and children who just wanted freedom from foreign interference. Certainly nothing to be proud of. But I won't get into that.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,111,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Which war do you spend most time reading about/researching/watching documentaries etc about?
Perhaps the War of 1812. A large part of my family on both sides are Canadians, or 1st or 2nd generation Americans of Canadian background. Thus, while educated in the U.S. I became aware of how different this war was to my Canadian cousins. Sometimes it almost sounded like two different events.

What really pricked my interest was that while Loyalist ancestors who had left the U.S. after the revolution were active in the Canadian militias during this war (as would be expected), so were another part of the family who immigrated to Canada from the U.S. only a year or two before the war started. It also fascinates me that the majority of the population of Ontario at this time was made up of recent emigrants from the U.S., and not Loyalists and their children who arrived right after the revolution. Their loyalty was a big worry to the British, and a big hope for the Americans, but they remained loyal to their new country.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I read that blacks weren't allowed to fight for the Conferederacy? Or is that false? I know the War was more complex than just a conflict over slavery.

The Confederate government did not recruit or permit black soldiers for any position save musician, but there were many blacks who fought despite this policy. Regional commanders would list these volunteers on the regimental rolls as "body servants" or "camp workers", but they were combat soldiers nonetheless.

Nathan Bedford Forrest for example, invited his own slaves to join his cavalry under the above "wink wink" status. He told them that if they fought well and didn't get killed, after the war they would be freed. There was also an entire regiment of free blacks in Louisiana called the Corps d’Afrique, who were organized right away at the war's start.

There were advocates of arming the slaves, but they were considered dangerous radicals by the Confederate government. Patrick Cleburne started calling for such a measure in late 1863 and this probably harmed his chances for promotion. As States Rights Gist observed "If slaves make good soldiers, then our entire theory of slavery is wrong."

It wasn't until early in 1865, when General Lee informed President Davis that it might be necessary to start arming the slaves in order to ward off defeat via attrition, that the Confederate government finally changed the policy and agreed to recruit slave regiments. This work was just getting underway when the war ended.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,676,785 times
world war two is the most interesting war for me by far. consider that virtually every technology used in warfare today was used in world war two. that war saw the development of;

ballistic missiles
nuclear warheads
jet engines
air to surface missiles
surface to air missiles
guided missiles
digital computers
fire control computers
assault weapons(the germans sturmgewehr)
cruise missiles

among many other technologies.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:46 PM

531 posts, read 499,297 times
Being from the area where it started, I would vote for the French & Indian War, a.k.a. the Seven Years War, except it wasn't included in the poll. (Seriously, the Crimean gets in but not F&I??!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History