Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which modern war?
Revolutionary War/War of Independence 7 4.46%
Napoleonic War 10 6.37%
Crimean War 2 1.27%
American Civil War 35 22.29%
Mexican American War 1 0.64%
Spanish American War 2 1.27%
Boer War 2 1.27%
World War I 16 10.19%
Spanish Civil War 2 1.27%
World War II 75 47.77%
Korean War 1 0.64%
Vietnam War 3 1.91%
First Gulf War 0 0%
War in Afghanistan 0 0%
War in Iraq 1 0.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:20 PM

447 posts, read 729,269 times

Advertisements

World War II for me. I am truly amazed at how many died and how so many countries did so much. I can hardly believe how much the USA produced during the war. The numbers are amazing. I mean almost 100,000 planes in just 1 year and so many landing craft its unbelievable. I dont think we will ever see 3,000 planes going out on the same mission at one time again as the 8th did. And when you think other then the USA no other nation produced more then half a milling Lorries (trucks,cars,jeeps) and the USA produced 2.4 million. Wow. And the number of ground troops the USSR threw into the war is amazing. The number of deaths in the USSR and China are unreal. So many died in the slauter on the eastern front. So many statistics amaze me about WWII. Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:34 PM

4,454 posts, read 4,585,803 times
Personally, I'm very interested in all wars and try to read as much as I can but for some reason which I can't quite fgure out I really go for the Persian Wars when Greece had its back against the wall as Persia got a little mad at them for messing around with one of their towns in Asia. All I know is when I read that the Persian armies 'drank the rivers dry' well I knew it would probably be interesting to read on and see what happened. Reading ever since. And oh I always thought the Brits were kind of nice guys but the Anglo-Zulu War kind of made me embarrassed for'em.....even if they won...plenty to read there too fellow 'war-riors!'. now that's a 'little' war which makes for some very interesting history....;-)....

Old 12-06-2015, 05:58 AM

3,624 posts, read 2,461,932 times
Cool poll, thought I'd give it a bump.

I cast my vote for Civil War/War Between the States.. It never stops being tragic, or interesting, to me.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,360,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Which war do you spend most time reading about/researching/watching documentaries etc about?
WW2

My father and both uncles served and fought. Historians consider it to be the largest single event in human history.

With today being the 74th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, we should all take a moment to reflect.

Most folks living today would have a very difficult time imagining the all-out national effort and sacrifice it took to gain victory. And had we lost, history's arrow would have pointed in a vastly different direction. Most likely our parents/grandparents would never have met and the vast majority of us would never have been born.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:07 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,395,122 times
None of them.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:27 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,207,108 times
WWII because my Dad and Uncles were actual players..both in Combat and supportive roles in the African, European and Pacific theaters.

I have visited many battlefields in Europe...first time was in 1974 when my brother and I hitchiked across Europe and coincidently found ourselves around Normandy on the 30th anniversary of D-Day after taking the Hovercraft from Dover to Calais...it wasn't planned but quite an education..

Thirty years later was in retrospect a short period of time and the townspeople as well as French Canadian, British,US, and German Vets. visiting were relatively young with sharp memories...

The locals fed us and kept us overnight when they found out my Uncle Bernie was a Staff Sgt. with an artillery unit that landed on D-Day plus 7.

The Viet nam war was particulary relevant for me because I went into it kicking and screaming after being an anti-war activist on campus then getting drafted between semesters because of sub par grades.
I served my time as best as I could, in retrospect I appreciated the discipline I experienced since I never really had any growing up.
I was lucky to come home in one piece, while many of my high school friends didn't having quit school and joined the USMC.
I finish college on the GI Bill, went on to get a MA in English Lit.

In Jan. 2002 a few months after 9/11 I felt compelled at the age of 51 to volunteer for the New Jersey Naval Militia Joint Command and spent another 2 years (not full time) in Service...ironically I stayed one Barrack over at Ft.Dix during Militia Boot camp than the one I was in while undergoing US Army training many years before.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,965,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Some blacks who fought for the confederacy received pensions. .
From what agency? The government for which they fought went out of business permanently.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:18 PM

3,624 posts, read 2,461,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
From what agency? The (Confederate) government for which they fought went out of business permanently.
(chuckle), yeah.. fair enough. But the individual states Confederate soldiers fought to defend, were still in existence.
I think the individual state governments created differing pension packages, and at different times, following the War (over the course of the late 1800s & early 1900s). But eventually, each former CSA state offered pensions to Confederate vets.

Kind of off-thread-topic, but an interesting subject, if someone who is more knowledgeable could expound (?)

Old 12-08-2015, 09:17 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,136,296 times
That's an odd listing of wars since it includes some (but not all) American wars with a seemingly random selection of non-American wars.

I think one of the most interesting wars is the Grenada War in 1983. America simply, quietly and effectively achieved its goals at minimal cost in terms of blood and treasure. I can't imagine today's military could complete this operation for under $150 billion. Today's military contractors have shareholder expectations to meet and the gang is Washington is happy to oblige.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:51 PM

2,798 posts, read 3,145,241 times
1. WW2
2. Civil War in Grandstander's CD history Thread (only!)
3. Wars of Roman Empire: I grew up in Western Germany and the remains of Roman towns, roads, cemeteries etc. were everywhere. This gave me a very personal relationship when my dad and I toured them. I had to learn everything about the Romans, Germanic's and Celts. One of the best records the Romans kept was about their battles. I'm so glad my dad showed me around these places and explained so much. Those are my best memories with him and I will do the same with my son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History