Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Do they have much there about the Holocausts perpetrated by Stalin or Churchill?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Holocausts perpetrated by Churchill?!
Yes. He ordered the Dresden bombing.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Yes. He ordered the Dresden bombing.
An atrocity, perhaps. A holocaust? No.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
I do see your point.

But I wonder if someone would draw up a numbers chart sometime so we would know mass slaughter from atrocity from massacre from..................

I get the creepy feeling in some of these discussions as if there is competition going like with little boys going out behind the barn to have a mine-is-bigger-than-yours session.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Quote:
Holocaust - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Quote:
Definition of HOLOCAUST

: a sacrifice consumed by fire

: a thorough destruction involving extensive loss of life especially through fire <a nuclear holocaust>

Old 02-15-2012, 01:44 AM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Why is this discussion even happening? There is history in every part of the world,including the United States.

Churchill did not perpetuate a Holocaust. That was an act of war.
It seems to me that General Eisenhower's prediction is coming to pass. There are an increasing number of people who wish to deny, or at the very least minimize the Holocaust. The seem to feel threatened when it is mentioned and point to acts of war - i.e. one country attempting to vanquish another, as being similar. It is not similar.

During the Holocaust, Germany; under the Nazi regime, was conducting a war on it's own people, and people in other countries that were from ethnic groups that they felt were inferior.

That is not a "war" - that is evil barbarism the likes of which I hope we never see again.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why is this discussion even happening? There is history in every part of the world,including the United States.

Churchill did not perpetuate a Holocaust. That was an act of war.
It seems to me that General Eisenhower's prediction is coming to pass. There are an increasing number of people who wish to deny, or at the very least minimize the Holocaust. The seem to feel threatened when it is mentioned and point to acts of war - i.e. one country attempting to vanquish another, as being similar. It is not similar.

During the Holocaust, Germany; under the Nazi regime, was conducting a war on it's own people, and people in other countries that were from ethnic groups that they felt were inferior.

That is not a "war" - that is evil barbarism the likes of which I hope we never see again.
Did you miss Cambodia or Rwanda? Or are the numbers not big enough?

To be brutally honest this type of remark is why I think "discussions" about the Nazi's holocaust so frequently end up being counter-productive. Too many people want for whatever reasons to stop history there.

Thus, it seems to me that we have learned, and continue to learn nothing, from those millions of deaths. The world might be further ahead if future money intended for WW II Holocaust memorials were used instead for conflict resolution efforts, and if Holocaust organizations were the vanguard of that work. The dead are dead, and can never be brought back again by us, but we can look to the living.

P.S. - While I agree with you on the comparison of Dresden with the Holocaust, in fact the fire-bombing of Dresden and the resulting deaths certainly fit the definition of a holocaust pefectly. And its use is appropriate, even if the comparison of the two events is not.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Well, the Germans also fire-bombed cities in Great Britain. Wasn't there mass destruction and civilian deaths in London, Coventry, Birmingham, Southampton ...? Didn't London have to endure 76 consecutive nights of fire bombing - resulting in the destruction of 1,000,000 houses during the Blitz? Didn't tens of thousands of British people lose their lives during the Blitz?

The Holocaust - The Shoah - as opposed to a holocaust, was a unique event that singled out specific groups of people based on such a characteristic as their ethnicity, religion, nationality, state of mental health, sexual orientation, etc. that promulgated as a world campaign of genocide. It didn't happen in just one country, such as those atrocities in Cambodia or Rwanda (not to dismiss or minimize the horror and unspeakable evil of those holocausts ... perish the thought! I've visited Cambodia so I know ...) For example, it wasn't just German Jews who were herded into centration camps, worked to death, tortured, sent to gas chambers and then crematoriums .... Jews all over Europe (Polish, Romanian, Greek, Dutch, French, etc.) suffered that fate; same for the Gypsy (Roma) communities, gay people and all the rest. My point being that The Shoah itself cannot be lumped together with other atrocities that have taken place, just as World War 2 cannot be relegated to being just another war like the War of 1812 or Spanish-American War or the Franco-Prussian War or the Iran-Iraq War.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:14 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
My parents witnessed the slaughter of thousands..during this period - neither of them were left in good mental health after seeing the horrors - that took place during WW2 - we forget quickly...that full blown hell had come to earth during that war...I suggest that we take this part of history very seriously - and remember that it was REAL - and could happen again.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Watched a documentory the other night - I had forgotten how horrific it was_ and If I a man of 60 - who had parents that witnessed the horror - and who describe the horror to me as a child - have FORGOTTEN - then the younger generation has TOTALLY forgotten - and their lack of vigilance against such evil may be something that can NOT be instilled...history will repeat itself - it's just a matter of time...I feel sorry for what my children and grand children will have to suffer - cos things can go south very quickly and without warning - todays generation is dull to history...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History