Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Everyone and their mother knows about the Battle of the Bulge through movies and annual celebrations but few (including myself until recently) knew of the the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir where the X Corps including the 1st Marine Division completely surrounded and faced with total annihilation was forced to breakout of their encirclement in the dead of a bone chilling Korean Winter. So why is this battle so under recognized?

Last edited by ovcatto; 02-12-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 03:54 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
*through, not "threw"

Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
different time period and let us face it, Korean War did not get as much attention as WWII. was a police action and was horrible.

been to Korea and to Germany and both were bad. my respect to those who fought.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:06 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Korea War is the "Forgotten War", unfortunately.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:06 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So why is this battle so under recognized?
When the offensive through the Bulge was contained, the western allies resumed their advance which led to ultimate victory. When the Marines broke out of the Chosin trap, they retreated along with the rest of the UN forces, leaving North Korea in enemy hands...which it was two years later when the truce was reached.

So, the movie about the Bulge has a theme of the good guys getting floored, but climbing off the canvas and counter punching the bad guys. The Chosin movie theme would be the good guys making an escape from the bad guys. Which of those is the more marketable?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
There are some amazing stories that took place in that retreat. The task force holding the east side of the Resevoir fought an amazing fight. A Turkish Brigade fought to the death as did the British Marines. E Company 32nd Infantry suffered 80% casualties, when they were out of ammunition the Commander led a Bayonet Charge to secure ammuniton, the Chinese 10th Division facing them was equipped with M-1 Rifles left behind when the Nationalists fled China.

The part Americans don't want to hear is that the The Chinese, under threat of being nuked, allowed the Americans to escape.

My disappointment is World War I, where Units like the Lost Battalion seems to have faded into the past

Old 02-12-2012, 06:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
So, the movie about the Bulge has a theme of the good guys getting floored, but climbing off the canvas and counter punching the bad guys. The Chosin movie theme would be the good guys making an escape from the bad guys. Which of those is the more marketable?
"We Were Soldiers Once...and Young." about the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley was a pretty damned fine movie about a battle that wasn't exactly a huge American victory. I raise this issue because I watched an incredible documentary about the battle and their was some incredible stories of valor; 176 Medals of Honor, 73 Navy Crosses and 23 Distinguished Service Crosses. Pretty amazing.

PS - Plenty of movies about Custer

Old 02-12-2012, 07:03 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"We Were Soldiers Once...and Young." about the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley was a pretty damned fine movie about a battle that wasn't exactly a huge American victory. I raise this issue because I watched an incredible documentary about the battle and their was some incredible stories of valor; 176 Medals of Honor, 73 Navy Crosses and 23 Distinguished Service Crosses. Pretty amazing.

PS - Plenty of movies about Custer
The question before us is why the Chosin battle is under recognized. Despite the Mel Gibson movie, I'd argue that the battle of Ia Drang Valley is even less recognized.

Further, the movie wasn't very good.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Battle of the Ardennes was much larger in terms of U.S. soldiers committed or affected by the battle.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There are some amazing stories that took place in that retreat. The task force holding the east side of the Resevoir fought an amazing fight. A Turkish Brigade fought to the death as did the British Marines. E Company 32nd Infantry suffered 80% casualties, when they were out of ammunition the Commander led a Bayonet Charge to secure ammuniton, the Chinese 10th Division facing them was equipped with M-1 Rifles left behind when the Nationalists fled China.

The part Americans don't want to hear is that the The Chinese, under threat of being nuked, allowed the Americans to escape.

My disappointment is World War I, where Units like the Lost Battalion seems to have faded into the past

I'm glad you mentioned the Army units at the Frozen Chosin. Generally, they're never mentioned, as if it were totally a Marine fight. Just as with so many Pacific Island invasions during WWII, the Marine's PR department has just about written the history totally and most people don't know about the Army's contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History