Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,639,322 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, how many of the history buffs on this forum are rabid collectors of historical artifacts, memorabilia, trinkets, etc?

I'm a casual history enthusiast and my interest in history has also led to an interest in collecting historical items. It doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive item- I have tons of trinkets from various political figures, military generals up to items from the Civil War era as well as foreign historical items (piece of Berlin wall, etc).

Is there a correlation between those who worship history and collectors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,777,749 times
Not really, but I have a room dedicated to a multi-collage of replica medieval weapons (swords, maces, battle axes), replica 17th century flintlock pistols, some civil war bullets and buttons, lots of civil war battle maps, a few age of sail globes, and other period junk, and LOTS of books, mostly history. Nothing valuable. I like to think of it as my "civil war room" although it really covers all of history (wife calls it the junk room).

Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,391,001 times
The only thing I collect that might have historical value are books and pictures from the period. I've got quite a collection of early 1900's Postcards, and also older keystone glass slides.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,480,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Out of curiosity, how many of the history buffs on this forum are rabid collectors of historical artifacts, memorabilia, trinkets, etc?

I'm a casual history enthusiast and my interest in history has also led to an interest in collecting historical items. It doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive item- I have tons of trinkets from various political figures, military generals up to items from the Civil War era as well as foreign historical items (piece of Berlin wall, etc).

Is there a correlation between those who worship history and collectors?
The collectors typically are divorced.

"Why'd I leave him? I'll tell you why, Instead of a new kitchen remodel, Harry goes out an blows $6500 on an old beat up Civil War cannon."

Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,724,548 times
The only thing that holds me back is a sad lack of $$$$$.

But I live in a historic house and regularly search the local goodwill equivalent/yard and rummage sales for cheap antiques, which feeds directly into my love of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History