Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,120,580 times

Advertisements

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why... I dream of things that never were and ask why not."

--Robert Kennedy

"Do good work."

--Gus Grissom

"Put a little back into it."

--My father
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,998,868 times
"Experience is a dear school, but a fool will learn in no other."
Ben Franklin

"For ever one person getting at the root of a problem, there are a thousand pulling at the leaves."
Don't remember who said it, but it was never more true than now, with everybody coming up with solutions to the economy.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,843,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. ---George Orwell[/url]
That's my favorite. I used to use that as my signature line in a forum, but it didn't protect me from being cited by the moderators for infractions anyway.

Windwalker, that was Thoreau: "For every thousand hacking at the leaves of evil, there is one striking at the root." --- Henry David Thoreau.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-05-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,505,906 times
Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Winston Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
Winston Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 PM

249 posts, read 802,743 times
Well if we are degenerating, how about Henny Youngman:

"Take my wife. Please."

Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,619,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Winston Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
Winston Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”
LOVE Churchhill, he was very witty.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,059,445 times
My favorite historical quote...from French novelist Gustave Flaubert, on the eve of the Franco-Prussian War:
"When all this is over, we'll still be stupid."

H.L Mencken was an extremely rich source for quotes:

"Puritanism is the haunting fear that somebody, somewhere, may be happy."

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us that someone may be watching."

"Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time."

"We must repsect the other fellow's religion, but only to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."

"The cosmos is a gigantic fly wheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him the ride."

George Bernard Shaw is responsible for:

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

"The secret of being miserable is to have the leisure to bother about whether you are happy or not."

"Love is a gross exaggeration of the difference between one person and everyone else."

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul, may always depend upon the support of Paul."

"Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability."

Others...

"Most rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."...Frank Zappa

"It is dangerous for a national candidate to say things that the people might remember."...Eugene McCarthy

"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."....Oscar Wilde

"A thing is not neccessarily true because a man dies for it."....Oscar Wilde.

"Only one more indispensable massacre of Capitalists or fascists or Christians or Heretics, and there we are in the golden future."......Aldous Huxley

"The one thing your friends will never forgive you is your happiness." ....Albert Camus

"I only drink to make other people seem interesting." .....George Jean Nathan

"We may eventually come to realize that chastity is no more a virtue than malnutrition."....Alex Comfort

Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,214,599 times
Still more from Sir Winston, the source of an almost endless array of wonderful quotes, when referring to the RAF during the Battle if Britain;
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 PM

78,132 posts, read 60,365,240 times
Churchill....
"The greatest argument against a democracy is a 5minute conversation with an average voter."

Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM

4,533 posts, read 12,382,171 times
Otto von Bismarck -

“There is a Providence that protects idiots, drunkards, children and the United States of America.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History