Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Lincoln didn't have a secretary named Kennedy. Booth was killed in a barn. And he was shot resisting arrest, not assasinated.

This Kennedy-Lincoln thing appeals to jaspers who think Pink Floyd is profound.
As long as you are examining the specifics, the list included:

Quote:
Both assassins were known by their three names.
Both names are composed of fifteen letters.
Oswald was known as Lee Oswald to everyone he knew, not Lee Harvey. For whatever reasons, the press and tv felt compelled to supply his full name each time he was mentioned, probably because in the early going they had so little other information about him to broadcast. It caught on and ever since he has been referenced as Lee Harvey Oswald. The same thing happened with Mark Chapman who was always Mark Chapman until he gunned down John Lennon. Then he became Mark David Chapman.

Booth did indeed go by his full name, that was because he was named for the 18th Century British radical politician, John Wilkes, who was distantly related to the Booth family. Wilkes had an extremely theatrical personality and was famed for his wit. Once in Parliament the Earl of Sanwich became disgusted with Wilkes and told him "Sir, I do not know if you will die on the gallows or of the pox." Wilkes shot back "That depends, my Lord, on whether I embrace your Lordship's principles or your mistress."

John Booth the actor was proud of being named after this character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Well, that is vague. How about a clear answer...do you believe that the Lincoln/JFK coincidences mean anything beyond coincidence? If you do, please explain. If you do not, well then we are equally right, aren't we?

As for your challenge regarding others...let's see....

How about the commonality of the Prince of Whales, Telly Savalas, King Kong and Edgar Allen Poe?

Poe was an orphan, thus had nary a parent, the Prince of Whales is the heir apparent while Telly Savalas had no hair apparent and King Kong had hairy parents.

Coincidence? I think not.
I thought it was a perfectly clear answer. I described a way that the hypothesis could be tested, but that is not necessary because you are right. The end. I have not conducted any tests, nor heard of any, so I know better than to say that my assumption is right, and I didn't say whether the hypothesis is correct or not without any basis. I mrely described a test. Your comparison is not valid, because it didn't include Joe Charbonneau.

Since you have finally acknowledged the possibility that you and I might be equally right, I guess I should leave well enough alone.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-07-2012 at 10:18 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Your comparison is not valid, because it didn't include Joe Charbonneau.

Charboneau and who was it? Luther Burbank?

Very well.

Burbank developed the Russet Burbank potato, from which McDonald's French fries are made.
Charboneau loved to eat McDonald's French Fries.

Burbank's work was panned by other scientists for his failure to keep more accurate records.
Charbeneau was a flash in the pan

Burbank spent his time growing plants in the fields
Charboneau was an outfielder

Burbank's first name was the same as the last name of Superman's greatest foe
Charboneau was known as "Super Joe."

wow...this is getting spooky, isn't it?

Burbank's work was ruined if it didn't rain.
Charboneau's work was canceled if it rained.

Burbank was a naturalist
Charboneau was an extra in the film "The Natural."

Are we sure that these were two different people?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:31 AM

472 posts, read 925,307 times
And BTW Marilyn Monroe died in 1962, over a year before the JFK assassination, so that biut can't be true.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Once in Parliament the Earl of Sanwich became disgusted with Wilkes and told him "Sir, I do not know if you will die on the gallows or of the pox." Wilkes shot back "That depends, my Lord, on whether I embrace your Lordship's principles or your mistress."

That's very funny.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
This Kennedy-Lincoln thing appeals to jaspers who think Pink Floyd is profound.
Actually, it appeals to people whose headgear often consists of tin hats.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM

607 posts, read 958,232 times
but it was kind of neat to read about it in middle school years ago, before the cynicism of age and maturity took over

Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
but it was kind of neat to read about it in middle school years ago, before the cynicism of age and maturity took over

I recall it being very popular in the '70's. Also popular in the '70's were talking to your plants, EST, Rolfing, Tarot Cards, the I-Ching, Astrology, Pet Rocks, Bio-Rhythms and starting sentences with "After the revolution...."

It was a Golden Age of Neo-Nonsense, most of it coming from the left. That has changed and today the right seems to have seized the monopoly on nonsense.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
True or False

In the White House, there are 13,092 knives, forks and spoons.

America once issued a 5-cent bill.

In England, in the 1880's, "Pants" was considered a dirty word.

The Pentagon in Washington, D. C. has five sides, five stories, and five acres in the middle.

Erosion at the base of Niagara Falls (USA) undermines the shale cliffs and as a result, the falls have receded approximately 7 miles over the last 10,000 years.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 PM

607 posts, read 958,232 times
Quote:
I recall it being very popular in the '70's. Also popular in the '70's were talking to your plants, EST, Rolfing, Tarot Cards, the I-Ching, Astrology, Pet Rocks, Bio-Rhythms and starting sentences with "After the revolution...."

It was a Golden Age of Neo-Nonsense, most of it coming from the left. That has changed and today the right seems to have seized the monopoly on nonsense.
I was an 11 year old kid fascinated with American history and the presidency - not part of the Weather Underground

I memorized the presidents in order by fourth grade, and read every book, magazine and microfiche copy of newspaper clippings I could get my hands on

It was cool to a young kid

Relax a little...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History