Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think the 70's and 60's had some great fashion and architecture.
Once again, half of the pictures you posted are CLASSIC fashions for women. Actually, squash that. Only 1 is classic. 2 are wearable at special events. The rest are 70s trash.

Quote:
1970's Interior Design: This link in particular is fantastic!

1970's Interior Design and Residential Architecture
It's gawdy and awful is it what it is. Good grief woman.

Well, okay some of them do look kinda cool. But most people in the 70s weren't living in sheek venturo houses and had those elaborate designed orb chairs and kitchen to boot. People did not have money for their houses to look like Charlie's Angels. They had regular awful mustard yellow wallpaper, tile, and lots and lots of wood. Wooden flooring, wooden walls, sometimes with brick tiling (barf again).

Last edited by allenk893; 04-04-2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Erm, Sgt. Pepper's was released in 1967. LSD was first synthesized in 1938, and became widely popularized as a result (mostly) of the release of Ken Kesey's book, The Electric Kook-Aid Acid Test, which was published in 1968. Kesey himself, was a subject of various drug experiments that were part of clinical trials beginning in 1959.

Compare with opium, which is th source of opiate drugs including heroin, which has a *known* history dating back to 1500 BC. Recreational use in China has been documented between the 15th and 19th century, and is Afghanistan's primary crop, supported by the USA even though heroin is illegal, and all opiates are strictly controlled in the States.

The counter-culture of the 1960's that you refer to began in the -early- 1960's, and continued all the way into the early 1970's. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (the Beatles album, and subsequent movie) was a fairly late entry into the culture.
yes baptists saw it coming they cried the warning. nobody listened they just laughed and are still laughing. . but back to your post, well my, i guess if the chinese do it and its been around for awhile its must be ok. (even more strange im 1/2 chinese and dont feel inclined to do drugs at all)
well lets see if LSD was invented in 38 and kesey started work in 59 so there was no drug culture revolution in america in the late 60's and 70's??? thank u for introducing me to the lastest craze, rewriting history.
since it is all the young people know, they think drugs are normal and have not affected us.
like i said got off the freeway about 1963.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Plaid Stallions : Rambling and Reflections on '70s pop culture: fashion mockery

Funny site, although a lot of this is mens wear, and I do not remember anyone I know dressing quite THIS bad....

Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes baptists saw it coming they cried the warning. nobody listened they just laughed and are still laughing. .
What were they smoking?

I highly (*ahem*) recommend you watch Reefer Madness once or twice, just for fun.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM

[quote=Ohiogirl81;23718405]What were they smoking?

I highly (*ahem*) recommend you watch Reefer Madness once or twice, just for fun.[/QUOTE
As though I never saw it b4??

Old 04-04-2012, 10:11 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
Cmon MAN the 60's and 70's was a GROOOOVY time!!! Don't be a square!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Cmon MAN the 60's and 70's was a GROOOOVY time!!! Don't be a square!!!
i've seen the damage the needles done every junky like a setting sun.
sing it.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So I'm pretty young (19) but I would not say I'm your average young adult. Ever since I could remember I've had a profound interest in history and nostalgia. I love looking at the different styles of past generations regarding fashion, music, architecture, customs, what have you. I've found that most generations have fashions and styles that are wearable today or any time period. They call this "classic" clothing.

But the ONE time period I have to say that I completely consistently flawed by and can't say the same for is the 60s and 70s. Particularly the 70s. I've researched and seen how the early 60s had a very clean cut look like the 50s but progressed into crap on towards the 70s. Everything about that time period simply registers to me as ugly and hideous. Any other decade or time period, I can easily see things anybody from this time could wear. I rarely see timeless fashions for that period. I don't understand where those fashions came from after the clean cut 40s and 50s. Bell bottoms, platform shoes, psychedelic themed shirts, wide use of colors like yellow, brown and burnt orange and in stripes too (barf!). From the hairstyles to the architecture, is just appalling. I remember when I was a child in the 90s, some of my older family members lived in houses that were still in 70s fashioned with the mustard yellow flower-pattern wall paper and tile. Even at my young age, I found it unsightly then too. Why were things so ugly back then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yes, in fact, they are. I just told you that I or anyone else for that matter can go back in ANY time period - even Ancient Egypt for heaven's sake - and find something that I could probably wear today. 70s clothes and fashion look completely hideous compared to the other decades. I don't know what about that decade anyone could consider timeless. Like 90s man mentioned, I think it may have something to do with that whole drug hippy culture from the 60s. But I wonder how on Earth did they manage to influence fashion trends for a whole decade? In the early 60s people considered them weirdos. Even now, they are still looked upon as weirdos. How did that drug culture influence fashion, architecture, and culture across the world is what I will never understand. Looking at their style from any decade prior to that - they were appalling.
THESE are YOUR opinion,s as you are ONLY 19 [and still need a lot more growing up to do] I suggest you sit back and worry about YOUR time period. You make comments about fashion BUT I don't remember having anyone in school have their britches hanging under their butt. I could go to school and not have someone rob me of my sneakers. I wore sturdy clothes [and much warmer then then now] my footwear would last more then 6 months. Like I said this is YOUR opinion and is NOT fact. I like bright colors on my shirts, I LOVED bell bottoms. Not so much platforms BUT to each his own. When you get to be 50 yrs old THEN you may critisize an age before you were even thought of

Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i've seen the damage the needles done every junky like a setting sun.
sing it.
YOU think you're the ONLY one? BUT drugs have been around LONG before the 60's [it just wasn't that open before]

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
I agree that as far as style went, the 60s and 70s were really lacking. Popular furniture, colors, wallpaper, counters, and yes some of the clothes were godawful.

It hasn't aged well, as relying on so many light greens and yellows just makes stuff from that era look grimy and old.

But it has nothing to do with age. Like the poster mentioned, earlier time periods had classic style. Walking into a house furnished to look like the 1920s looks old but not...well...gross. I walk into elderly people's homes from the 60s and 70s and it just never looks clean to me.

However, I would have loved to have grown up in the late 60s or 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History