Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:41 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,576,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I can only say that the 70s were the best decade of my life. Nothing ugly about it. It was an exciting time. Life was good. Wish I could put the 70s on an automatic loop and live there forever! I am grateful that I got to spend my teen years in the 70s. I was a little too young for Woodstock, only 12 at the time, but wish I could have experienced that!
Yes, I feel extremely fortunate to have been there for that. I had the soundtrack from "Forrest Gump" in the CD player on my way home tonight, and found myself listening carefully to the songs Zemeckis selected to convey the spirit of the era in which the movie was set - which was, of course, primarily the 60s. And as I listened to those songs, and reflected back upon the movie, I realized once again - as I have so many times before - that so much of what America is today, and who we all are (for better or worse) happened in the 60s and early 70s - perhaps more so than in any other similar timespan in our history.

You can not truly understand America until you truly understand what happened here in the period from around 1960 to around 1975. I'm not saying you have to understand what it meant, but you do have to understand what happened during that era. If I could go back in time and pick the year in which I was born - any year in the history of the United States - I don't believe I would be able to pick a better year than the one in which I actually was. No matter how far mankind's space program ever winds up going, nobody who didn't stay up late that hot August night to watch Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon can every truly understand what it means.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:48 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,541,589 times
Well, the decor, yeah, gotta agree with you there,

The fashion, while maybe ugly, was a whole lot of fun.

Movie and TV was not always the best, but there was this Star Wars thing.

Watch "History of the Eagles" and you'll find the music was FAR from ugly.....

Old 01-28-2016, 12:27 AM

23,874 posts, read 32,147,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug_Life View Post
Well thats just your opinion. I was born way after the 60s & 70s but i happen to think the hippy era was so awsome!
I was born in the late 50s and grew up in the 60s and 70s.

I happen to think that the early 60s was a great time for design - cars, furniture, fashion, homes. - everything.

I'm a huge fan of MCM design. In fact, I am a collector. I recently redecorated my family room with MCM (Mid Century Modern) sofas, from a place called Joybird. My end tables and coffee tables are original Lane "Acclaim" style tables.

MCM is timeless and chic. I love sheath dresses, pearls, and the simple sleek styles of the era.

When I think of an ugly decade - I think of the 80s.

(not as into the hippy look - but it has it's place)

Old 01-28-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Yeah there was a lot of ugly to be had in that decade too, too-big hair on girls and mullets on guys, fluorescent clothes, mauve carpeting, blue kitchens with ducks-with-bowties and baskets for that faux "country look", boxy car designs, I admit it, I had all of it.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was born in the late 50s and grew up in the 60s and 70s.

I happen to think that the early 60s was a great time for design - cars, furniture, fashion, homes. - everything.

I'm a huge fan of MCM design. In fact, I am a collector. I recently redecorated my family room with MCM (Mid Century Modern) sofas, from a place called Joybird. My end tables and coffee tables are original Lane "Acclaim" style tables.

MCM is timeless and chic. I love sheath dresses, pearls, and the simple sleek styles of the era.

Yes, mid-century modern is "in" now, but admit it, if you grew up with it, there was a time when it seemed ugly and out-dated.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:09 AM

19,957 posts, read 30,004,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Yes, mid-century modern is "in" now, but admit it, if you grew up with it, there was a time when it seemed ugly and out-dated.

hey, I had a '77 ford pinto wagon with imitation wood paneling sides..

it was ugly and outdated, but at the time,,,it was my car, and oh, the memories in that car,,,wished I still had it
I worked so hard to pay for that car.... one of my all time favorite cars

lots of colors and styles come and go...in the '70's look at the bell bottom multi colored slacks,,, and the avocado green appliance colors... they don't seem so ugly at the time..

Old 01-28-2016, 11:39 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,392,674 times
My parents built their house in the 70s, didnt update it until probably 1996 or so. Heres what I grew up with. Olive colored refrigerator, floral offwhite wallpaper, some weird brown linoleum countertops, dark brown cabinets, brown rubber floor in the kitchen, dark brown shag carpet, brown fake wood paneling in the living room, harvest gold master bath, weird blue guest bath. Overall everything was just dark lit and brown.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:37 PM

23,874 posts, read 32,147,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I agree. When I came of age in the 70s, I had two friends who's parents never redecorated from the time they bought their homes 59-62.

It was weird to me.

However, I wish my parents hadn't ditched all of that amazing designer Danish modern furniture.

I disagree with those who say that this was a bland period. My mother was a rather restrained MCM decorator, but our family room had aqua sofas, the living room did have a lot of neutral colors but it was relieved by two cheerful melon colored Danish modern chairs and a colorful art collection.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:10 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,661,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug_Life View Post
Well thats just your opinion. I was born way after the 60s & 70s but i happen to think the hippy era was so awsome!
It was awesome ! Especially late 60s and early 70s Bliss

Old 01-28-2016, 02:12 PM

651 posts, read 411,093 times
Default I'm fond of 1970s

I'm not agreed with the topic. I like very much the music of the 70s (The Rolling Stones, Abba, Frank Sinatra etc.), movies (with Sylvester Stallone, Jack Nicholson etc.). Cars of the 70s (Bullitt) have interesting design and contour (precise and severe).

Besides I'm interested in the computers and game consoles of this period. I have some artifacts and touch them with pleasure as rare and expensive rarities.

If to discuss the clothes of the 1970s I can't say much because not a girl and pay little attention to this theme. But I know well hippy's style (have seen it ... in the movies "Born on the fourth of the July" and "Jobs", in music movies) and like it because it's a part of 1970s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History