Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 02:16 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this belongs in "history" or not, but I'll give it a shot.

I was reading the story of the teenager who scaled the Great Pyramid of Giza and I couldn't help but notice what appears to be graffiti (or other writing) in the first photo (to the right of the boy's leg).

Andrej Ciesielski banned from Egypt for life after climbing Great Pyramid of Giza | Daily Mail Online

Given that there's some sort of metal structure on top of the pyramid, I would assume officials go up there for regular maintenance. Has this graffiti ever been cataloged? Is it historical or modern?

Just curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 04:22 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
I didn't see the graffiti but of course the pyramids and other Egyptian temples have been raided, pillaged, and defaced even during the times of the Pharaohs. Grafitti and vandalism is not anything new.

On the top I believe is some of the original limestone, which over the last 3,000 years has either been stripped-off or worn off. Of course it goes through regular maintenance to at least preserve it's current state.

That kid by the way is an idiot. His pictures suck as it looks like the Cairo smog is particularly bad that day.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,160 times
I see what you are talking about. It almost looks like Greek, but I really can't tell. And I don't know how old it is. I did a Google search and found an article but it was about graffiti hieroglyphs. Hope some who knows chimes in.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:18 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

I was reading the story of the teenager who scaled the Great Pyramid of Giza and I couldn't help but notice what appears to be graffiti (or other writing) in the first photo (to the right of the boy's leg).

Andrej Ciesielski banned from Egypt for life after climbing Great Pyramid of Giza | Daily Mail Online

Given that there's some sort of metal structure on top of the pyramid, I would assume officials go up there for regular maintenance. Has this graffiti ever been cataloged? Is it historical or modern?

Just curious!
Looking at it I can't get in close enough to see what it is, but it looks modern. If it was ancient it would be as eroded as the pyramids are, and it looks pretty clear. Dumb, self-absorbed kid. When I visited the pyramids in the 80s it was made clear not to climb them.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:59 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

Just curious!
If you are talking about the carvings in the stones, the stuff that is easier to see is modern, but there are names and quotes carved into the rocks over thousands of years. Writing your name on an icon is hardly new. I've been there and at ground level there are carvings that go back thousands of years, and some as recently as a few months. People always have done this, at icons all over the world.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Okay, I've been working on translating the graffiti in question. I've only been able to make a partial translation, but what I found reads...

"For a good time call...."...and the rest is unclear.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
If you are talking about the carvings in the stones, the stuff that is easier to see is modern, but there are names and quotes carved into the rocks over thousands of years.
Oh I know that it's modern in the context of how long they've been there - I'm thinking even things 200 years old would be considered "modern". I just found it interesting and would be interested in what that says and what other graffiti there is lying about. It's not like today where anyone with a Sharpie can leave a mark. Someone chiseled that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History