Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times

Advertisements

I figure this is the best place to include a thread on extinct animals.

One extinct animal that many may never have heard of is the Thylacine, often referred to as the Tasmanian Tiger or Tasmanian Wolf. It went extinct in the 1930s.

Here's video footage of one in captivity just before they went extinct.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ompilation.ogv

Here's a list of extinct animals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinct_animals

Talk about your favorite extinct animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
There are any number of theropods that I find intensely interesting and would love to observe in the flesh. Too bad.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Moved as these animals are not Pets.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM

577 posts, read 992,422 times
For a number of years, I held out hope that they would find a small number of Thylacines in the heavily forested western part of Tasmania. However, it's not really likely anymore. Really the only hope now would be in New Guinea, which has had reported sightings in some of the wilder areas.
Also would have loved to have seen Carolina Parakeets flying over the skies of the Southern U.S.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:36 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,798 times
Haast's Eagles would be pretty impressive:
Haast's Eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20-33 lb. raptors...

Falconry (or would that be 'eaglery') with one of those would be interesting!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
My favorite is the largest bear ever to exist in North America known as Arctodus who became extinct around the same time as most of the other large fauna around 10,500 b.c. - 11,000 b.c.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I figure this is the best place to include a thread on extinct animals.

One extinct animal that many may never have heard of is the Thylacine, often referred to as the Tasmanian Tiger or Tasmanian Wolf. It went extinct in the 1930s.

Here's video footage of one in captivity just before they went extinct.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ompilation.ogv

Here's a list of extinct animals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinct_animals

Talk about your favorite extinct animals.
I have heard of the Thyacine,LOL !.... there was an article in our paper about someone who bought the skin of one at a local yard sale back.

He might have a Tasmanian tiger by the $70,000 pelt | UTSanDiego.com

Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM

72 posts, read 154,284 times
So many of the long-extinct animals look so creepy in the pictures of them.

One that really scared me was the phorusrhacids, or the "terror birds". These were huge flightless birds that hunted down creatures the same way a hungry lioness would. I remember seeing a few pictures of them and they freaked me out. In particular the older pictures are scary - look up this old picture of a huge Brontornis (the largest terror bird) attacking a dinosaur. But please don't share it here if you find it - I don't want to relive several nightmares!

I was relieved when I found out that Brontornis didn't actually look like it did in that picture and wasn't the size of a large dinosaur. Later findings revealed that Brontornis was 10 feet tall (about the size of the extinct moa of New Zealand) and resembled an ostrich with a big head. Still, that's one creature I'm glad is extinct!

One extinct creature I do like is the tiny horses that were the size of pet cats.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Not every animal has been extinct for all that long. In addition to the thylacine, the passenger pigeon disappeared in the 20th century. The last one died in captivity in 1914 (I believe it was at the Cincinnati Zoo).

Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times
Some of my favorites are:

The Elephant Bird

Moa

Rodrigues Solitaire Bird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History