Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,422,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Yet, Weimar era Germany was one of the culturally richest places of the 20th century despite those things or their equivalents, and it continued to culturally influence the rest of the 20th century even if its influence got stamped out on its home turf.

The 1930s in general was a very culturally rich time despite all those things existing globally (or their equivalents). Today we do not live in a culturally rich time. I think there are other factors, like the concentration of media ownership, homogenized culture, social engineering, and if anything too much timidity...
Of the things you mentioned, I think the concentration of media is the biggest reason why our current times are considered culturally inept. The media is owned by a small handful of corporate giants, and they control the content. They killed alternative rock, gangsta rap, and many other things over the past 10-15 years.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:55 PM

1,328 posts, read 3,164,281 times
Yeah I think its depressing to live in such a culturally inept time. I think the 90's were the last time that was culturally rich at all.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 AM

346 posts, read 239,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
It seems like the decades from the 90s onward bleed into each other rather than having the distinct identities the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s did. A bit like how the 1920s, 1930s, and '40s, despite their vast political and economic differences, all shared a somewhat similar culture and feeling.

That's not to say the '00s weren't somewhat different from the '90s, they were but even 2012 still has the 'mold' that was formed in the early 90s.

You know, a sarcastic/random sense of humor, the culture wars, alternative rock/fashion, teen pop for the younger girls, third-wave feminism, plain and casual fashion, 'less is more', hip hop, those are all keystone 90s things that are equally applicable to 2012 but were barely existent at all in 1985.
Wow, you are pretty much wrong on all those things being keystone "90s" things, the culture wars started in the '80s and seems to be quickly fading(in the face of a severe global economic crisis), alternative rock/fashion is equally "80s" as well as '90s/'00s, post-punk/gothic rock/jangle pop/noise pop/college rock fits neatly into the alternative category as much as grunge and emo/screamo. Teen pop for younger girls was extremely popular in the '80s, is this a joke or something, New Kids on The Block anyone, plain and casual fashion has been standard for americans since the '70s at least, hip-hop became mainstream in the late '80s but the gangsta rap sub-genre of it does seem distinctive to the '90s but crunk/snap rap is distinctive to the '00s too, you do know rap has evolved a lot since it's '70s beginnings just like rock music has evolved and went through different phases.

The only thing you wrote that might be pretty distinct to the '90s would be the less is more attitude(maybe more in relation to fashion) but even that was emphasized in the late '60s/'70s(small is beautiful). If any decade could claim to be "anything goes" fashion-wise it is definitely the 1970s.

Another thing the 1940s were pretty different from the 1920s from fashion(especially in women's fashion), music, technology, and films, the art deco style that peaked in the '30s was fading during the '40s, they only seem similar to you because you probably have little knowledge of that era to even have a good perspective on the differences/similarities between those decades.

These threads about the '90s, '00s, '10s are getting more redundant, we are barely into the 2010s, I will admit that the '90s and '00s share some cultural themes in common but so do the '60s and '70s.

Last edited by Emman85; 07-09-2012 at 12:23 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 AM

21 posts, read 46,722 times
I think humor (Tosh.O)is deteriorating, becoming more random, offensive and homoerotic (Is being gay/doing gay things funny?) On the other hand, internet tech makes grass roots art (ArchDaily), ideas (Fast Company) and honest music(Bandcamp) easily accessible, and potentially a hallmark for this decade. But the 2010s just started so...

Old 07-15-2012, 01:35 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
People were having this same discussion, only the details being different, in the first decades of the 1500s.

"I think the last time their was any substance in popular music was in the 1460's when Josquin des Prez stripped music to its soulful core and with those full, rich triads which revealed the basic substance, the soul, of dance music. Now, these madrigals that are getting popular... Its all just fluff, 'Baby, baby,baby, ohhh!" What crap. And have you seen the jerkins and houplenades the kids are wearing today? Ridiculous!"

Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,339,514 times
Default What kind of pop culture defines the 2010s?

The stupid/gross/perverted kind.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
A lot of pop culture now is based on "internet memes" and "internet culture" - it seems like the internet has replaced the TV and theatre for pop culture. The movies are bland unless it is Hunger Games type stuff, and the TV is lame, cheap garbage like American Pickers. But the internet is where you have an explosion of culture - it is all about the Rebecca Black's, the Justin Beiber's, the Shane Dawson's...they are creating pop culture. Nyan cat, Angry Birds, Gangman Style, - they are all based off the web and it is starting to become actually the "cool stuff" of the 10s. There is a lot of fun fads and trends already - 2011 and 2012 are very fun years culturally even when the economy is low. Hulu and SmartTV is making original TV series way better than what is on cable and YouTube has excellent pop culture.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,942,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
"Alternative" was a form of rock music that emerged in the early 90's. I was called Alternative because it was an alternative to the dried up 80's hairband music that eroded by 1992. Alternative was a fresh sounding rock like nothing heard before. It became popular around '92 when Nirvana hit it big. A bunch of other alternative bands suddenly burst onto the scene. Greenday, Pearl Jam, REM, Sublime, Rage Against The Machine, The Offspring, Oasis, etc. I could go on and on. It was a short period from '92 to '97 where there were tons of great hits, then after '97 alternative slowly began to die. It is similar to 60's music. You had a sudden burst of great music from '63 to '68.
This thread failed right there.

I think the whole 2000-2012 era can be defined by one completely random moment. A music reality show where a country star "coach" has two women contestants sing a duet of "Pumped Up Kicks".

In other words: empty. Devoid of meaning and context.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,136,384 times
Quote:
A bunch of other alternative bands suddenly burst onto the scene. Greenday, Pearl Jam, REM, Sublime, Rage Against The Machine, The Offspring, Oasis, etc.
REM was sort of the pre-history of alternative...actually dating to the late post-punk/new wave era. From the early/mid 1980s.

...sort of akin to Elventh Dream Day, Husker Du, Smiths, Pogues, Midnight Oil, etc....(sort of different stuff, but pre-dating the "Nirvana Revolution")...

Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,136,384 times
I dont listen to much pop music anymore. Except at the pool during the summer, where the radio the guards play is locked into this FM pop station.

This summer the...ahem..."memorable" tunes whereit were 'The Fighter' (a rap song), "Call Me Maybe", "Poker Face", and something by a band called "Goat-yay"). And that pumped-up kicks song that was previously mentioned. I sort of liked the goat-yay song and that pumped-up kicks song.

The rest...time to swim underwater when they came on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History