Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:26 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,094 times

Advertisements

I remember that when we went to baseball games my dad would wear a suit and mom would dress up like we were going to church (late 50's early 60's) thats just the way it was back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandyPuppy1977 View Post
I look at pictures of high schoolers from the 50's, and they look like old people to me. Maybe women's hairstyles were all short back then and this is the main reason why. It's sad how little in common their generation has with the young people of today. I think the teens of today will never really get old, and the baby boomers were the generation that thought they were the first "cool" generation, but now a lot of them seem old anyway.
I just had to comment because your post reminded me of my own thoughts.

In our high school, up on the walls above the lockers, they displayed all the years of seniors from way back to present. I remember looking at the photos of the "kids" from the 50s and thinking, "They are my age but they look like they are 10-15 years older!! Why do they look so old?!"

I do agree with another poster that in our day and age, we do everything to look and act young while back then, the ideal was to grow up as fast as possible.

Even so, it just seems so odd that they could look THAT much older than us at the same age.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:39 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,285 times
Young people in many cases had pretty hard lives. My dad had to drop out of hs after his sophmore year to work in the coal mines. He then at 18 signed up with the Army. That will mature you pretty quick.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:06 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
They looked older because teenaged boys wore suits to school and had conservative haircuts. No t-shirts, no long scraggly hair, etc. Teenaged girls dressed like they were going to the prom every time they stepped outside to pick up the newspaper.

Today, it is almost unheard of for teenagers to wear anything but t-shirts to school in warmer weather. Suits are only worn in business settings or religious services. Lots of other casual clothing styles have come about since the 60's.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
They looked older because teenaged boys wore suits to school and had conservative haircuts. No t-shirts, no long scraggly hair, etc. Teenaged girls dressed like they were going to the prom every time they stepped outside to pick up the newspaper.

Today, it is almost unheard of for teenagers to wear anything but t-shirts to school in warmer weather. Suits are only worn in business settings or religious services. Lots of other casual clothing styles have come about since the 60's.
The suits came with one exception = WHITE BUCKSshoes.
Talk about girls hair, boys hair was just 2 choices = Crew Cut or Flat Top.
Tough girls wore the boufont and we just knew they had spider webs inside.

The plus was that we owned HOT RODS the greatest invention ever made with the exception of drive-in movies, malt shops, and drive-in diners with girls serving greasy burgers wearing roller skates.

Last edited by Pawporri; 05-20-2012 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 05-20-2012, 06:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they were much more fit and much more disciplined they were far more mature.
does not having tattoos make u look old?
And 25% died of TB, Polio and Cystic Fibrosis. Looking back I see everyone dressed like little adults, now the parents try to look like teeny boppers

Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
The suits came with one exception = WHITE BUCKSshoes.
Talk about girls hair, boys hair was just 2 choices = Crew Cut or Flat Top.
Tough girls wore the boufont and we just knew they had spider webs inside.

The plus was that we owned HOT RODS the greatest invention ever made with the exception of drive-in movies, malt shops, and drive-in diners with girls serving greasy burgers wearing roller skates.
What does that mean? I'm being honest here, I have no idea what that means, "we just knew they had spider webs inside".

Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What does that mean? I'm being honest here, I have no idea what that means, "we just knew they had spider webs inside".
Because the hairdo looked like the webs you see in the fall maple trees made by the gypsy moths. Also, there was a big story in the paper one time about a girl, with that hairdo, that got bit by a Black Widow, and got very sick. So the story became an urban legend.......

Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandyPuppy1977 View Post
It's sad how little in common their generation has with the young people of today. I think the teens of today will never really get old, and the baby boomers were the generation that thought they were the first "cool" generation, but now a lot of them seem old anyway.
Ahh... young pup... time is perspective, and perspective is everything.

Youth always believes itself eternal.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they were much more fit and much more disciplined they were far more mature.
does not having tattoos make u look old?
If a man had a tattoo back then it meant he was either a veteran, an ex-con, and/or a merchant sailor.

There were police departments who banned cops from having tattoos. Veterans' groups had these laws changed given how many WW2 and Korean War veterans had tattoos.

It was extremely socially unacceptable for women to have tattoos.

Similar anti-tattooing attitudes lived on longer in certain foreign countries like Mexico (Mexico City with its trendies, artsy types, bohos, hipsters, punks, etc. being the only exception) and Japan.

The social history of tattooing itself would make a good thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History